• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt 700

fineMen

Major Contributor
I appreciate Erin's latest measurements of the Buchardt 700. What I find quite intriguing is the use of bass speakers plus a dedicated midrange of the same type. The low cross-over frequency prevents from spoiling the midrange with inevitable intermodulation products generated by the basses. But I would have liked the midrange to be split even further (see addendum). A bandwidth from 200Hz up to 2800Hz for the midrange isn't ideal. Anyway, a small step for Burchardt, but a giant leap for audiophiles.

Only that the reported IM distortions look a bit high. That shouldn't be, as the midrange isn't loaded with the excitation tone of 25Hz (?) or even 80Hz. Hence the IM is expected to be close to zero. Maybe the IM originates in the microphone? Condensor mikes are prone to IM due to their mechanical construction.

As to test the instrumentation the test signal could be split. One box does the excitation tone, e/g 80Hz, another box the test tone, e/g 1,5kHz. If the reading is still somewhat about 1%, the microphone is the culprit.

Add.: I plan (for months now) to realize a similar approach. Two 7" bass drivers up to 180Hz on the sides with potential 'cardioid' operation, one bass/mid of same type up to 600Hz, plus either a coax or two small mids side by side (as to keep the directivity intact), plus waveguided tweeter from about 1300Hz. All dsp controlled.

Last edited:
Top Bottom