• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EverSolo DAC-Z8 USB DAC/Headphone Amp measured by Wolf

poxymoron

Never heard of this manufacturer before, but it seems to perform well on Wolf's bench. I do like the look of those meters.

Edit:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now everyone is releasing an 8 channel ESS DAC chip with 8 I/V stages before summing. Should be on the ESS implementation guidelines by now.

And for good reason: follow this and you surely will get great measurements.

godmax

I ordered a EverSolo DAC-Z8 even Wolf's measurements showed a mild ESS-hump and received the unit yesterday.
Everything really works quite good right out of the box with a really nice and snappy GUI and a functional remote control.
There was even a firmware update released today that did already resolve one of my complains: independent volume control for headphone output that was not implemented before.
Placing the standby button right above the headphone output might not be the most ideal location, but its OK if you keep your fingers under control :)

rozel

Really good experience so far with my EverSolo DAC-Z8. I have 2 questions if someone could answer please: -
  1. I've updated to 1.0.0.42 firmware but I cannot see 2 volume controls in the menu, normal & Headphones. Does the Z8 remember what outputs it uses and stores the volume setting separately?
  2. I want to do an A/B comparison between the sound quality of the Z8 and my Gustard X-16. In readiness, before delivery of the Z8 a couple of weeks ago, I bought a cheap USB Splitter, albeit which includes a chip, so I could connect both DACs to one USB Port and then switch via my AVR as they both use separate RCA inputs on it. My Streamer is a Zidoo Z1000 Pro which has 2 separate USB 2.0 ports and a third single USB 3.0 Port. What ever combination I use, and with or without the Splitter, only one DAC is heard at any one time, without swiching the Zidoo off and starting again with the other DAC. Does anyone know what I can do to achieve an A/B comparison please?
Thanks

Veri

Master Contributor
I want to do an A/B comparison between the sound quality of the Z8 and my Gustard X-16. In readiness, before delivery of the Z8 a couple of weeks ago, I bought a cheap USB Splitter, albeit which includes a chip, so I could connect both DACs to one USB Port and then switch via my AVR as they both use separate RCA inputs on it. My Streamer is a Zidoo Z1000 Pro which has 2 separate USB 2.0 ports and a third single USB 3.0 Port. What ever combination I use, and with or without the Splitter, only one DAC is heard at any one time, without swiching the Zidoo off and starting again with the other DAC. Does anyone know what I can do to achieve an A/B comparison please?
I've never heard of an 'USB Splitter' to work in the way you intend. I think you need an ABX analog audio switcher.

rozel

Thanks @Veri - could you explain how that would work please and maybe recommend something suitable?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really good experience so far with my EverSolo DAC-Z8. I have 2 questions if someone could answer please: -
  1. I've updated to 1.0.0.42 firmware but I cannot see 2 volume controls in the menu, normal & Headphones. Does the Z8 remember what outputs it uses and stores the volume setting separately?
  2. I want to do an A/B comparison between the sound quality of the Z8 and my Gustard X-16. In readiness, before delivery of the Z8 a couple of weeks ago, I bought a cheap USB Splitter, albeit which includes a chip, so I could connect both DACs to one USB Port and then switch via my AVR as they both use separate RCA inputs on it. My Streamer is a Zidoo Z1000 Pro which has 2 separate USB 2.0 ports and a third single USB 3.0 Port. What ever combination I use, and with or without the Splitter, only one DAC is heard at any one time, without swiching the Zidoo off and starting again with the other DAC. Does anyone know what I can do to achieve an A/B comparison please?
Thanks

You could do this with a PC by plugging in both DACs and switching between them in software. It's unlikely you'll be able to do this with a streamer unless the streamer is designed to drive 2 DACs and switch between them.

*edit* Zidoo runs Android, which made me wonder if USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) could work and apparently it can and will drive 2 DACs - see post #2 here:

Last edited:

rozel

@Veri - thanks for the information but here, I'm trying to feed two USB outputs from my Zidoo streamer into two separate DACs. These are "data" streams not analogue. The techniques you refer to are, yes quite complex but do not seem relevant to my scenario

@Berwhale - blimey! That was my post back in early 2021, when I entered the world of DACs for the first time. A pc is out of the question for several reasons that I won't go into and I have tried using UAPP from my Zidoo rather than by its inbuilt player as well as swapping between the 2 without success. From the post you refer to, I recall that I was trying to get DSD Native rather than DSD over PCM (DOP) - so I'm bound to ask, before trying, would I get 2 separate USB outputs from the Zidoo if I switch to DOP from DSD Native, which I use soley these days - never thought about it until now ?

I'm not wanting to spend much money acheiving what I want to and if the Zidoo flatly refuses to output two simultaneous streams, then I shall give up and move on.

Edit: - That member from the Zidoo forum has just confirmed my Zidoo doesn't output 2 simultaneous streams - oh well

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're serious about conducting a true blind ABX test, then there's a lot more to it than just getting two DACs to play the same file, I would not attempt this with a streamer as my source. You might also want to consider if DSD offers any real benefits...

godmax

With the latest firmware it remembers the volume for headphone and DAC mode separately (you need to plug-in a headphone, than the Z-8 switches to headphone mode and turns off XLR/RCA output).
Volume is even stored when powering off and unplug the unit.

808lab

With the latest firmware it remembers the volume for headphone and DAC mode separately (you need to plug-in a headphone, than the Z-8 switches to headphone mode and turns off XLR/RCA output).
Volume is even stored when powering off and unplug the unit.
Hi,can you please tell me if this dac have ASIO drivers?

godmax

Hi,can you please tell me if this dac have ASIO drivers?
Even there is a USB driver for download (link), it seems not to contain ASIO drivers (uninstalled already them since my system acted strange after installation)

808lab

Mmm thanks so much,this is really important for me,i will move to another dac,thanks so much man for the fast reply!!!

MuadDib

Hello. I have a question, what does DAC-Z8 look like against SMSL M500 MK3? Honestly first time I hear about this EverSolo brand?? I am asking because recently there is quite a lot of talk about this brand that promotes DAC-Z8 and there are no reviews from Amirm. I was going to buy the M500 MK3 and now the Z8 has appeared. I know how SMSL plays because at the moment I have an M500 Mk2 (until the end of the month because I'm selling). And now I have a dilemma because the parameters are almost identical to the M500 MK3 (of course, what the manufacturer presents). And this Z8 intrigues me. Regards.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello. I have a question, what does DAC-Z8 look like against SMSL M500 MK3? Honestly first time I hear about this EverSolo brand?? I am asking because recently there is quite a lot of talk about this brand that promotes DAC-Z8 and there are no reviews from Amirm.
Well there's Wolf's review linked above. Both devices seem capable. Do you want the volume meters of the Z8? Or do you want the slightly more 'tried and trusted' SMSL?

MuadDib

Thx Veri I think I will throw myself into unknown waters because I was charmed by the UV display :p

Veri

Master Contributor
I ordered a EverSolo DAC-Z8 even Wolf's measurements showed a mild ESS-hump and received the unit yesterday.
Everything really works quite good right out of the box with a really nice and snappy GUI and a functional remote control.
There was even a firmware update released today that did already resolve one of my complains: independent volume control for headphone output that was not implemented before.
Placing the standby button right above the headphone output might not be the most ideal location, but its OK if you keep your fingers under control :)
Any further experiences, @godmax ? :)

MuadDib

Any further experiences, @godmax ? :)
I was mainly interested in how it plays, I heard that the Z8 is slightly sharper than the M500, which is why I am most interested in this issue because they both have the same bone and the parameters are almost identical.

Top Bottom