• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

Vladetz

I have Meta paired with Topping PA5, very satisfied so far

digitalfrost

Major Contributor

pjn

Absolutely incredible soundstage and dynamic range (particularly noticeable with a symphony orchestra) compared to an aging (and in need of a crossover rebuild) pair of Kef 104/2s. I am seriously astonished by the LS50meta crossed over at 80Hz to subs. To the extent that my center channel speaker (Focal Chora) is being replaced by an LS50meta also. Medium size room (15*15*8 with openings on 3 corners).
I spent most of an afternoon adjusting my LS50s and subs (2 x SB1000 Pro) using the PEQ on the subs and the Audyssey calibrations on a Denon 4700 - ended up using a crossover of 100Hz. I still have some annoying sharp room modes (I assume) based on REW at about 180 and 300Hz, but on listening, imaging is fantastic and voice is notably clearer.
I ended up with the LS50s quite a bit forward (23 inches) from the back wall and with the port foam removed. I think a lot of my problems are due to the "worst room shape possible (15 x 15 x 8, moderated by three door openings)", an L-shaped sofa and a window on one wall. Plus a bunch of bookcases.
I am hoping a couple of bass traps and some of GIK Acoustics 242 art panels will do the trick - or at least ameliorate things a bit. Room modes are a property of the room and pretty much impossible to eliminate as I understand it.

I really like an LS50 as a center - it is good to have all three fronts sounding identical in calibration for movies/tv when I am not listening to music.
I'm not entirely sure that the Kef recommendation for height (they are on Kef stands) is ideal for the room - when they sat higher (on top of a pair of Kef104/2s angled very slightly downwards); imaging seems about the same

Much more experimenting anticipated.

Last edited:

Tom Schneider

I played with my LS50 Metas this weekend and found that 36" from the back wall was working well. Now my problem is bass. I have some brutal bass nodes going on. I have a KC62 sub and even moving it +- 3" is resulting is a huge difference. Time for some room treatment. #christmaslistformywife

Reactions: pjn

nothingman

Yes I have preamps and dacs. Let me take a look those.

I could get uaed Hegel H80 or brand new Audiolab 6000A but haven’t read any review or impressions about how their performance with LS50 Meta.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on “synergy” type reviews that match up a specific amp with a specific speaker.

What you want is something that can pump out 4ohm with no sweat and is load invariant and low distortion. That brings you to Hypex or Purifi 1ET400A. Both are fantastic options for the Meta and with a good dac and preamp you can totally put thoughts of upgraditis out of your head.

Personally I have the NAD C298 Purifi with my Metas. It was expensive for 1ET400A but I liked going with a big brand with support from a dealer like Crutchfield unlike the small builders, however they can get you much closer to your budget, so go with them.

Even if you go with a sub and crossover (my Metas are on a BW 2nd order [12db/oct] at 100hz which really takes the pressure off that mid-driver), I’m glad for the power from Purifi. Take a look at the impedance chart and the Stereophile notes on EPDR. These things are demanding, and it’s not even at the low bass.

Last edited:

pjn

Much more experimenting anticipated.
This is probably not news to most on here - the LS50s do like a good bit of space around them and to be pointed at the listening area.

Checked them using REW and various to-ins - best (flattest) response using three toe-ins was pointed directly at my head, in spite of what Kef says. Vocals also better.
I noticed that dialog was best for movies/TV with it in stereo (although of course now the imaging was wider than the TV - disconcerting) - so I moved the center up and forward so that it had a good bit of air around it. Considerably better but a bit jury-rigged. So have now ordered a 22" speaker stand for it (Sanus) to give it a bit of dignity.

Tom Schneider

Thanks for the tip as I have my Metas pointed straight forward. I'm going to try some toe in this weekend. I have found that they do enjoy some space in my room. I have ~3ft from the back wall and sides which really does make a rather large soundstage difference. Essentially I can't even identify that the sound is coming from the speakers.

Reactions: pjn

zaraki

i have a 2.1 near field set up with kef ls50 meta and svs sealed 1000 pro sub with denon x1700h avr at my gaming/multi media desk in my bedroom.

should i set crossover to 80hz or 120hz iyo and why please, i dont know much about how crossovers work

Tom Schneider

I played around with spacing and toe-in and ended up in the same position in my room. Pretty much facing forward but with a few degrees of toe-in which seems to work well with my room. I'm still dealing with bass nodes but that's a different issue.

pjn

I played around with spacing and toe-in and ended up in the same position in my room. Pretty much facing forward but with a few degrees of toe-in which seems to work well with my room. I'm still dealing with bass nodes but that's a different issue.
Bass nodes are a problem for me too, with or without the port plugs. I'm investigating a bit of acoustic treatment, but even so, the speakers sound extremely good. As you say, the speakers "disappear".

Tom Schneider

I too am looking into acoustic treatments since I can walk around my room and bass changes dramatically so that is my first area of focus. Right now my LS50 Meta placement is solid as they not only disappear but have a soundstage that is both tall and deep which still surprises me for such a small speaker. My wife always laughs at all the blue tape on the floor for different placements :)

pjn

I too am looking into acoustic treatments since I can walk around my room and bass changes dramatically so that is my first area of focus. Right now my LS50 Meta placement is solid as they not only disappear but have a soundstage that is both tall and deep which still surprises me for such a small speaker. My wife always laughs at all the blue tape on the floor for different placements :)
The first time I did a walk around at one of the room modes that REW showed up, I was most alarmed, but the audyssey correction seems to help but not eliminate it around the listening position.
I like the bits of tape solution - as I say to a good friend "I think I need help!" . But it is all a good learning experience. :oops:

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I too am looking into acoustic treatments since I can walk around my room and bass changes dramatically so that is my first area of focus.
Here is an example how much you can achieve with acoustic treatment in a bedroom-sized room. And how much treatment it actually takes if you want to have an impact on bass frequencies (TLDR: a lot).
If you want smoother bass across your room a more effective approach is using a combination of digital room correction and multiple subwoofers.

pjn

Here is an example how much you can achieve with acoustic treatment in a bedroom-sized room. And how much treatment it actually takes if you want to have an impact on bass frequencies (TLDR: a lot).
If you want smoother bass across your room a more effective approach is using a combination of digital room correction and multiple subwoofers.
That's incredibly useful. Thanks - I'm quite pleased with how I'm doing so far. My ears say "that sounds pretty good, across a variety of music types plus movie dialog", but the brain lies atrociously and it is good to get some measured data with REW - and compare it with what people who know what they are doing are finding.

Toblerone

Wow... the room treatment just got more and more convoluted and ridiculous with only "some" improvement. Talk about trying to eek out some improvement on extreme diminishing returns...

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow... the room treatment just got more and more convoluted and ridiculous with only "some" improvement. Talk about trying to eek out some improvement on extreme diminishing returns...
Yeah, especially after they added 8 membrane traps in the 4th episode.. :D

mattpitts74

Guys, I'm after some help. I have just got some Meta's and am currently A/B testing them with a borrowed Powernode and my old NAD D302 V1. At the moment I cannot really hear from of a difference between these two amps.

It seems that a relatively affordable way to power these is with a Hypex or Puri amp, So I'm looking at the following.

Nord One MP NC252 250W - I would need a preamp??
IOM v250 - This is nice as it has volume control

So I guess my question is will either of these be suitable for the Meta's or would I be better off saving until I can afford a higher-end amp?

Any suggestions/thoughts welcome

Ohlsdorfer

Hi all. I have first generation JBL LSR305 active monitors. I read a lot of reviews on the LS50 Meta and then the idea came to change my monitors to the LS50 Meta and pick up an amplifier for them. The question is, will there be an increase in sound quality and to what extent? It is also interesting to correlate the possibilities of acoustics in the bass register. There is no way to listen to the LS50 Meta live. Room 12 square meters, no acoustic defects.
Or will the difference in sound quality be negligible compared to the difference in price?

Last edited:
Top Bottom