• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Toku

Major Contributor
Cool news/pic @Toku Yeah without the slit (and the min/max/knob-position markings) it may also be a new E50 II with a volume knob?! Just another guess.
Anyway ... typically Topping marketing ... which IMHO works pretty well for them ... SMSL should do more of these teaser things for upcoming products.
I quickly noticed that neither photo had a slit to mark the position of the volume knob, nor did the case of what appeared to be a PA5s have a slit for heat dissipation.
I imagine this was intentionally removed to make the photo more mysterious.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new product news.

SiamXIII

Will it be a good amp to bi-amp it on bottom end of Kef R3, while SMSL VMV A1 drives upper part?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will it be a good amp to bi-amp it on bottom end of Kef R3, while SMSL VMV A1 drives upper part?
No. There is no good reason in bi-amping anything at all. Especially in your case if you are powering the tweeters with an amp rated at 15 W (4 ohms) output.

Without active high pass filtering of the signal into the VMV A1, both amps will need to amplify the signal voltage equally, and the VMV A1 will clip well before the PA5, rendering the higher power output of the PA5 totally useless. In other words, in your proposed system (and other passively bi-amped systems), the combined output capability is bottlenecked by the VMV A1 (i.e. the lowest output amp) to 15 W at 4 ohms. For details, please see this post/thread:

SiamXIII

No. There is no good reason in bi-amping anything at all. Especially in your case if you are powering the tweeters with an amp rated at 15 W (4 ohms) output.

Without active high pass filtering of the signal into the VMV A1, both amps will need to amplify the signal voltage equally, and the VMV A1 will clip well before the PA5, rendering the higher power output of the PA5 totally useless. In other words, in your proposed system (and other passively bi-amped systems), the combined output capability is bottlenecked by the VMV A1 (i.e. the lowest output amp) to 15 W at 4 ohms. For details, please see this post/thread:

Thanks for your answer!

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And is it safe to use A1 with Kef R3? How would I know it's not clipping?
It should be safe. To know for sure if it is clipping, ideally you'll need electrical measurements.

@WolfX-700 of L7AudioLab did some measurements of the VMV A1, and it's max output was ~12 W @ 4 ohms. So, I'd think it will clip if you are playing anything loud (enjoyably loud, and not necessarily party level loud).

However, audibility/unpleasantness of clipping is highly exaggerated. If an amp clips only occasionally, cleanly, and not too severely, it is not very objectionable. Otherwise, modern pop music will be universally unlistenable.

index.php

MAB

Major Contributor
And is it safe to use A1 with Kef R3? How would I know it's not clipping?
I would say the A1 is underpowered for the R3, and should be used with care.
Clipping can be heard if you listen carefully, but listening for clipping and listening to music are two separate activities; and listening critically for clipping is not fun for me. Otherwise, you need to measure it.
If you always listen at low to moderate volume and never crank the system I think you will be fine. If not, I would seriously consider a proper amp, perhaps in the 50-100 Watt per channel region. I would not fixate on the PA5, and I think bi-amping the R3 would be a waste of money. These speakers just need one nice, reliable, moderately powered amp.

SiamXIII

I would say the A1 is underpowered for the R3, and should be used with care.
Clipping can be heard if you listen carefully, but listening for clipping and listening to music are two separate activities; and listening critically for clipping is not fun for me. Otherwise, you need to measure it.
If you always listen at low to moderate volume and never crank the system I think you will be fine. If not, I would seriously consider a proper amp, perhaps in the 50-100 Watt per channel region. I would not fixate on the PA5, and I think bi-amping the R3 would be a waste of money. These speakers just need one nice, reliable, moderately powered amp.
I usually listen at about 75-80db at about 3m from speakers. A1 is at 69/70 volume, but SMSL D300 DAC is at 40-44/100.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Check out the SABAJ A30a.
I heard it from a friend against the SMSL VMV A1 and my PA5, Sabaj A8, A20A and A20A 2022. An older Hypex was also there.
The PA5 is great, the A30a is a little better but at least $/€200 more expensive. I don't see any reason why you should take the VMV A1 compared to the two.

Toku

Major Contributor
If the cost allows such a combination, try adding the Sabj A30a to the list.
I used the PA5 for half a year, but after purchasing an additional A30a, I immediately sold the PA5 due to the difference in sound quality.

SiamXIII

If the cost allows such a combination, try adding the Sabj A30a to the list.
I used the PA5 for half a year, but after purchasing an additional A30a, I immediately sold the PA5 due to the difference in sound quality.
I already own A1 and a good DAC. As for A30a, it's interesting, how it differs from VMV A2, considering the price. But at cost of A2 I can grab Topping LA90, which is superb AFAIK.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I already own A1 and a good DAC. As for A30a, it's interesting, how it differs from VMV A2, considering the price. But at cost of A2 I can grab Topping LA90, which is superb AFAIK.
Have you (or anyone else here) had a chance to hear the A30a vs the VMV A2?

Toku

Major Contributor
Have you (or anyone else here) had a chance to hear the A30a vs the VMV A2?
The SAbaj A30a does not have an AES input, but the internal configuration is the same as the SMSL VMV A2.
The biggest difference is the exterior design.
The SMSL VMV A2 is a very interesting product to me, but it was too expensive for me to buy.
So when I found out about the A30a's release, I bought it immediately.

gnat_leader

anyone know how to tell if a TPA chip is fake or real? Is the number stamp enough? Or you can only know via testing, performance since parts can have fake stamps and even TI logos?

Attachments

• 81je4JureWL.jpg
    81je4JureWL.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 193

frki16

regarding tests above... does he really have amplifiers like this inastalled for everyday hifi listening or is something from class A or AB? I mean its so nice in measurements, but BIG question is how it is sounds, not just PA5 but all in the class?

LumenMedia

regarding tests above... does he really have amplifiers like this inastalled for everyday hifi listening or is something from class A or AB? I mean its so nice in measurements, but BIG question is how it is sounds, not just PA5 but all in the class?
I use PA5 in my studio on my super detailed passive 3 way studio monitors. Warm and detailed sound, with excellent stereo separation and depth. Far beyond what most Class D offered few years ago. Class D technology do not stay, evolving every 2-3 years.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
But there is no question.
It sounds like you see in those measurements, if it works well (and it's a great one given the problems of many users) it perfectly amplifies the supplied input signal up to the limits of its power.
There is nothing more to know.
There is no mysticism they want you to believe in hifi. There are no magic powders, there are no mysterious nuances, lifted veils, fluid highs, relaxed reproductions....
There are only electrical signals that are more or less accurately amplified. There is nothing more to know about it
(regarding the amps)

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Amplifiers doesn't sound ... amplifiers amplify the signal, with better or worst quality and generally you don't need 100dB SINAD.

In a normal room with standard recordings, a 100dB SINAD can be indistinguible from 70dB.

frki16

But there is no question.
It sounds like you see in those measurements, if it works well (and it's a great one given the problems of many users) it perfectly amplifies the supplied input signal up to the limits of its power.
There is nothing more to know.
There is no mysticism they want you to believe in hifi. There are no magic powders, there are no mysterious nuances, lifted veils, fluid highs, relaxed reproductions....
There are only electrical signals that are more or less accurately amplified. There is nothing more to know about it
(regarding the amps)
so, studio monitor speakers should be also good for every purpose? :)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I mean its so nice in measurements, but BIG question is how it is sounds, not just PA5 but all in the class?

That's the beauty of good measurements. They tell you that there's no need to worry about a contribution from the amplifier. It most likely doesn't "sound" like anything. It just amplifies. Like an amplifier should. Class doesn't matter either. A good amplifier is a good amplifer.

Top Bottom