• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still it is a tough sale when the perfectly measuring concentric KEF R3 is going for 500 euros a speaker.
I think they are aiming at a different customer.
The MoFi speakers have a hipster midcentury vibe to them. The KEF is more of an excellent audio appliance.

My guess is that the MoFi speaker will give up some on the spinorama but have a more dynamic and exciting sound. This will be great for some, and possibly put others off.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s my experience that most people don’t understand how much serious engineering goes into anything. Audio, automotive, motorcycle, photography, you name it, clueless self appointed experts aren’t hard to find.
person-raising-hand_1f64b.png

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't get the negativity in this thread. At least wait until you see measurements and read listening reports, and maybe even after you have heard them yourself before you say anything negative about the speakers. :)
I'm betting on AJ but for $3700 they better be good ;)

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the SourcePoint 10 speakers in-house for review in the February 2023 issue of Stereophile.

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile
Of course you do, please send them to @amirm for Klippel testing.

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Of course you do, please send them to @amirm for Klippel testing.

The engineering and marketing is quite well paired.

I didn’t think AJ would create a low sensitivity 2 way for Mofi. A big old 10” coaxial makes sense, With that size coaxial accordion surround and that type of tweeter it’ll do everything between 50Hz and 16KHz just fine; and sound reasonably good.

But it won’t have SOTA midrange or treble or bass or coaxial performance. That’s a different type of design.

nsfgp

Cheapaudioman has an interview and he also showed the matching horizontal mount platform if you use one on its side.

Hamsammich

Some of you guys are really something. One doesn’t like it because he thinks it oughta be a three-way. Why? Beats me. Another thinks it’s just like a Tannoy because, well, looks like one. Another thinks it’s priced too high because, well, $649. Or something.
Someone else won’t trust it ‘til it’s been in a Klippel—probably lost a girlfriend that way. And yet another has doubts about this Andrew Jones feller.

Might I gently suggest:
1) Andrew Jones is a rational, articulate, capable designer, with a proven track record.
2) The white paper lays out a reasonable rationale for the design choices and makes testable claims.
3) $3600 dollars is far from an unreasonable price for a pair of good speakers.
4) Anything else should wait until the things can both be tested and auditioned.

Just a thought.
Best,
Marshall

Sokel

Master Contributor
If MoFi targets the audience we all suspect the 2-way design makes a lot of sense,just remember that some of the most fun speakers are 2-way (huge horn designs,old PA,etc).
Remember the clients,forget the accuracy,fun,looks and feel is all that matters to them.
As for the price,at 3600$ for a big speaker (50 liters cabinet),designed from someone with proved track record,seems more than fair.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Some of you guys are really something. One doesn’t like it because he thinks it oughta be a three-way. Why? Beats me. Another thinks it’s just like a Tannoy because, well, looks like one. Another thinks it’s priced too high because, well, $649. Or something.
Someone else won’t trust it ‘til it’s been in a Klippel—probably lost a girlfriend that way. And yet another has doubts about this Andrew Jones feller.

Might I gently suggest:
1) Andrew Jones is a rational, articulate, capable designer, with a proven track record.
2) The white paper lays out a reasonable rationale for the design choices and makes testable claims.
3) $3600 dollars is far from an unreasonable price for a pair of good speakers.
4) Anything else should wait until the things can both be tested and auditioned.

Just a thought.
Best,
Marshall
Sensible comment, but nobody should get a free pass here, and Andrew Jones also has the ELAC Adantes in his recent past. Your point 4 applies.

Top Bottom