• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

OP
Razorhelm

Razorhelm

Strange decision to design such a nice a multifaceted baffle and then adding a protruding edge around it.
So much for addressing diffraction...

xDoI9JU.png
In one of the video he mentions that he modelled the protruding edge after it was suggest and it didn't have a major effect due to it being recessed.

However we really need some independent measurements to trust that!

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wait for it...

The Mark II version, fixing issues
The Dilettante Pro model for half again the price for the elite -- with an art case and stand
The -S model for 55% of the price
The Debut 6-1/2" series that are smaller & lighter
The 5 inch version for your desktop
The Studio powered model

:) How do I know all this? ;)

In all fairness, you don't know all this. You are just presuming that business politics of a large company is exactly the same as a smaller one. You might be right or wrong in the same way as when you flip a coin.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Should have been a 3-way
He explains why it was 2-way in the white paper. Wait for the measurements, you may have to eat some crow. AJ has a good track record. I doubt it will be bad, but maybe in pack with other decent speakers.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
He explains why it was 2-way in the white paper. Wait for the measurements, you may have to eat some crow. AJ has a good track record. I doubt it will be bad, but maybe in pack with other decent speakers.

I'm not saying it's bad
I'm just saying I prefer a 3-way over a 2-way anytime and in any case

Reactions: Els

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Strange decision to design such a nice a multifaceted baffle and then adding a protruding edge around it.
So much for addressing diffraction...
I guess you didn't watch/listen to the interview? He addresses the diffraction.
Were they not put off at all by the pricel? They're striking, but I did not anticipate the almost $2k a speaker price.
I was surprised by the price too. I would have expected a speaker like this that isn't just recycling existing Chinese manufactured European designed off the shelf drivers to be substantially more costly.

Zvu

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
In all fairness, you don't know all this. You are just presuming that business politics of a large company is exactly the same as a smaller one. You might be right or wrong in the same way as when you flip a coin.
In even more fairness, notice the smiley face and wink emotigrins.
It's okay if you take yourself too seriously, but leave me out of that shortcoming. Eh?
:)

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yawn.

Tannoy anyone?? They've been doing 10" and bigger dual concentrics like, forever.
This is quite a different driver though. Basically there have been two branches of the concentric tree: Tannoy style with compression driver behind the woofer motor, and KEF Uni-Q style with direct radiating tweeter diaphragm roughly level with the top of the woofer former. Most big “pro” coaxes (B&C, BMS, Eminence, etc) are Tannoy style, while smaller “hifi” or “studio” ones (Seas, Sica, Pioneer/TAD, ELAC, Genelec, Technics, Kali, etc.) tend to be KEF style.

To my knowledge this is the biggest commercial variant of the KEF style yet introduced. KEF themselves made 8’s in the beginning and also more recently (Q900/Q950, THX custom install) but not that many.

This is one I’d like to hear. The drive unit is technically interesting. I love the fusion of modern baffle under classic casing. Andrew Jones has his track record, too.

But back to Tannoy, where are they? One of my personal formative audio experiences was their 1990s D700 model, a 2.5 way with 10” coax. I also ran their 12” studio monitors (for a while in cabinets commissioned from Nathan Funk) for several years as LCR. Their XT 8F was a very nice speaker.

But Tannoy doesn’t make big modern coaxes any more, for home or studio. They have some mediocre retro stuff. I’m not sure what Behringer is doing with the brand.

Hiten

newbie post.
No phase plug like KEF ? aren't coaxials known to have difficulty keeping linearity (nulls/dips) at upper end ? Looks like tweeter is something special to have low crossover point compared to typical 2 way speaker.
Regards.

Top Bottom