• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Powered Vs Passive Speakers- More from the top

chorus

I had the thread with the Michael Borresen quote that an Active speaker is NOT the way to go
if your goal is best SQ.

Obviously this sparked some lively debate.

Yesterday I had more input from another experienced fellow, John Curl.
John said that bi or tri amping will certainly improve SQ. However he said
there is no reason active is any better than passively powered speakers.

Any comers?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
You are not going to see a 6th or 8th order crossover in a passive speaker any time soon. The crossover cost, complexity, size and losses would be outrageous, not to mention the matter of parts tolerances.

You also have far more freedom in shaping woofer frequency response. Bass extension or various highpass filter options for different level needs? No problem. (A godsend for inexpensive subs, too.) General response shaping to match different environment is a common feature as well.

You can also drive the speaker drivers with just about any source impedance, from pure voltage source unencumbered by crossover parts (~0 ohms) to virtually pure current driving. The latter may substantially benefit IMD performance in drivers that aren't exactly Purifi grade.

And that's not even getting into the kind of advanced trickery that goes into speakers like the Dutch & Dutch 8C or Grimm LS1.

Overall, there is no reason why passive speakers can't be good (they benefit from modern design tools just the same), but active speakers can be better. Would something like the Genelec Ones even be possible in passive form? Likewise, the world of Bluetooth speakers would be a whole lot sadder-looking, I bet. For goodness' sake, we are living in an age where tons of people are running around with wireless noise-cancelling in-ears.

Of course there are some potential drawbacks. Dynamic range management becomes a major concern, for example - one of the most common complaints in active speakers (and even more so their DSP-equipped cousins) is audible hiss. This can be overcome, however, as illustrated e.g. by the Kali v2 series. It also goes without saying that having a bunch of electronics crammed into the speaker doesn't exactly make things any more service-friendly (though on the flipside, doing everything externally tends to result in a level of clutter that only diehard enthusists with copious amounts of space are likely to tolerate).

levimax

Major Contributor
Hi performance Active speakers will be cheaper to make and especially cheaper to engineer than passives but for ultimate sound quality I don't think it makes much difference. There was an interesting thread on here discussing the fact that a passive notch filter could reduce distortion in a way that an active notch filter can not https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...p-diy-speakers-for-testing-a-few-ideas.38454/ which is an interesting concept. Maybe "both" is the ultimate answer? Since Active is going to be cheaper and easier most development energy is headed that direction so it is probably the way to go for the consumer but if someone had enough time and money they could make a passive speaker that performs just as well as an active speaker.

Reactions: MAB

DBA ndreas

I like the idea behind JBL lsr 705i and 708i and several PA speakers: Simple ‚basic’ passive crossover + DSP tuning = only one amp channel, less crossover parts (that in typical passive speakers also EQ the response).

Buckster

Yeah I always wonder how much having an extra A/D and then D/A in the chain makes a difference and must surely be a trade-off of having the ability to do more accurate DSP

I know often people say is transparent but if it was what's the point of the SINAD measurements and table rankings in the DAC reviews on here

Presumably even if the A/D and D/A were off similar quality to the one in your source you are still putting the signal through 2 extra stages and ass the process is not lossless that must have an effect ?

I'm surprised SINAD isn't added as part of the reviews/measurements of Active speakers on here ?

One of the reasons I picked the 8030c - I know not high end but one of the pluses for me was that it didn't convert to digital domain for EQ

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I always wonder how much having an extra A/D and then D/A in the chain makes a difference and must surely be a trade-off of having the ability to do more accurate DSP
Make this test to find out how big the difference is.
I know often people say is transparent but if it was what's the point of the SINAD measurements and table rankings in the DAC reviews on here
You do have a point here. However SINAD is a mixture of distortion and noise suppression. If SINAD is high you don't need to worry about both, if it is low it depends.High noise is certainly audible, high distortion often not.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi performance Active speakers will be cheaper to make and especially cheaper to engineer than passives but for ultimate sound quality I don't think it makes much difference. There was an interesting thread on here discussing the fact that a passive notch filter could reduce distortion in a way that an active notch filter can not https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...p-diy-speakers-for-testing-a-few-ideas.38454/ which is an interesting concept. Maybe "both" is the ultimate answer? Since Active is going to be cheaper and easier most development energy is headed that direction so it is probably the way to go for the consumer but if someone had enough time and money they could make a passive speaker that performs just as well as an active speaker.
Active speakers can either use standard amp modules or custom-made for the specific drivers. Such as varying impedance to reduce distortion even more than passive filters can. But this appers very rare today.

Top Bottom