• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Bamyasi

Hmm... I still can't get it working. Hopefully it'll straighten itself out soon - I really prefer streaming directly from the Amazon Music app!
I am having the same problem. It sometimes helps to start Alexa app at the same time on my Samsung phone and put it in the background, then AMHD app will briefly see WiiM and you can connect. Then the Alexa app crashes and at the same time WiiM Mini disappears from the list of devices again. Not only WiiM but my Amazon FireStick 4K disappears too, so this seems to be Alexa bug not Wiim.

Bamyasi

Amazon service on my WiiM Home app also requested me to login to my Amazon account this morning. Not sure whether this was related to the firmware upgrade I received or old login just expired. You might want to check Amazon icon in the WiiM Home app. Do not forget to check "Remember me" checkbox on the login page if you do not want to re-login each time you reboot WiiM Mini.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Just to be clear, the images show the test files as they are. They are taken from spectrum analyzer of Reaper DAW, not through wiim toslink. The second one although more clean, anyway leads to hearable identical results.
I do not understand you now I have to admit. That is how the file looks like after importing to the REW analyzer, with averaging:

1667408510797.png

and without averaging:

1667408633790.png

It has been prepared in REW with settings as below:

1667409000964.png

Are you sure you've imported a test file not the response file? Even peak level on your screen doesn't seem to be correct.

Last edited:

telemike

Hmm... I still can't get it working. Hopefully it'll straighten itself out soon - I really prefer streaming directly from the Amazon Music app!
I wish the Amazon app would be as responsive as Spotify's app. I always get spinning blue circles when searching or browsing...

liviurosioara

Hi,

I am pretty sure also my Wiim Mini is affected by the strange distortion behavior. I followed the recent posts and I decided to test my device.

I will explain my methodology (I know it is not flawless but I still think it proves a point here):
- Generated in Adobe Audition eight tones of 10 seconds, at 1000 Hz, with different volumes: 0db, -0.3, -0.7, -1, -1.4, -1.7, -2.1, -2.4
- Saved the wav file at resolution 24/96
- Connected Wiim aux out to my pc line in
- Wiim set to aux out, fixed volume, 2 Vrms
- Cast the wave file to Wiim
- Recorded the Wiim output in Adobe Audition for further frequency analysis

Outcomes of my tests after analyzed the recording of the Wiim aux output:
- First 40 seconds (between 0 to -1) contain a lot of harmonics, the output level is the same regardless the input level of the test file
- After 40 seconds (-1.4 and below) the harmonics are much lower, you can also see the level is decreasing

1667410422098.png

1667410489995.png

At 0db:
1667410545330.png

At -1.4db:
1667410599019.png

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Hi,

I am pretty sure also my Wiim Mini is affected by the strange distortion behavior. I followed the recent posts and I decided to test my device.

I will explain my methodology (I know it is not flawless but I still think it proves a point here):
- Generated in Adobe Audition eight tones of 10 seconds, at 1000 Hz, with different volumes: 0db, -0.3, -0.7, -1, -1.4, -1.7, -2.1, -2.4
- Saved the wav file at resolution 24/96
- Connected Wiim aux out to my pc line in
- Wiim set to aux out, fixed volume, 2 Vrms
- Cast the wave file to Wiim
- Recorded the Wiim output in Adobe Audition for further frequency analysis

Outcomes of my tests after analyzed the recording of the Wiim aux output:
- First 40 seconds (between 0 to -1) contain a lot of harmonics, the output level is the same regardless the input level of the test file
- After 40 seconds (-1.4 and below) the harmonics are much lower, you can also see the level is decreasing

View attachment 240768

View attachment 240769

At 0db:
View attachment 240770

At -1.4db:
View attachment 240771
I guess you can see similar level of distortions for 0 dBFs and for -1 dBFS, as it comes to normal level below -1.1 dBFS.

Let me give you a warm welcome to our club :(

liviurosioara

My test pattern did not include -1.1 dBFS, but for sure at -1.4 and below all seemed much better.

LE: tested with -1.1 dBFS test pattern - looks strange; tested with -1.2 dBFS - looks good.

Also a very strange thing: any level between 0 to -1, I noticed the output volume stays the same - like there is a limiter in place.

See below -1.1 vs -1.2:

1667411967675.png

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
My test pattern did not include -1.1 dBFS, but for sure at -1.4 and below all seemed much better.

Also a very strange thing: any level between 0 to -1, I noticed the output volume stays the same - like there is a limiter in place.
Yes, I've mentioned that before, "sine signal in the range of 0 to -1.1 dBFS is being attenuated to exactly -1.1 dBFS".

Merifon

Are you sure you've imported a test file not the response file? Even peak level on your screen doesn't seem to be correct.
Don't know, I was surprised too. I downloaded and estracted:
Dual_70_800_4_1_-1,8_dBFS_96k_PCM24_LR.wav on office PC and sent it to my personal mail. Maybe something gone weird...
Then i set new project in Reaper 96/24 and imported the file in the time line. Then i looked to its shape with Reaper's spectrum analyzer. For shure it's not a reference measuring tool but give an idea how harmonics of playing files look. Maybe there was some weightings applyed I'm not aware of.
Then I created, rendered and exported a similar two tone 96/24 file using reaper tone generator, imported back in its time line and again see how it looked. This second file plays and look exactly how it was before rendering.
Anyway, what matters now is definitely the insurgency of distortion at max level.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Don't know, I was surprised too. I downloaded and estracted:
Dual_70_800_4_1_-1,8_dBFS_96k_PCM24_LR.wav on office PC and sent it to my personal mail. Maybe something gone weird...
Then i set new project in Reaper 96/24 and imported the file in the time line. Then i looked to its shape with Reaper's spectrum analyzer. For shure it's not a reference measuring tool but give an idea how harmonics of playing files look. Maybe there was some weightings applyed I'm not aware of.
Then I created, rendered and exported a similar two tone 96/24 file using reaper tone generator, imported back in its time line and again see how it looked. This second file plays and look exactly how it was before rendering.
Anyway, what matters now is definitely the insurgency of distortion at max level.
Weird.
That's the comparison of the test file with the distorted response:

1667413370846.png

liviurosioara

Lowering the volume to 96 does not seem to solve the problem for me, it only lowers the harmonics but still there.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Lowering the volume to 96 does not seem to solve the problem for me, it only lowers the harmonics but still there.
Maybe it's not a golden rule. That was a level which had worked for me for sine waves as a workaround. What was the signal level you've recorded after setting WiiMs volume to 96%?

Wino

it looks same as a known bug of Tidal android app, one or two releases ago.
I experienced it two or three times, it appeared suddenly. The workaround suggested by wiim was to clear user Tidal data on Android App preferences. Mainwhile, the iOS Tidal worked perfectly

Even if you have new Tidal version, maybe old user data has to be cleared. Then you should only login again. No playlists or other preferred artist will be lost, since they are related to account.

TIDAL Connect doesn't work on the Android deviceClear the user data on Android setting for the TIDAL App.TIDAL confirmed that this is an Android App bug and will be fixed by TIDAL around 9/21/22.

10/3 Update - Tidal App v2.68.0 Should resolve this issue.

Thank you for the suggestions... I've cleared the cache, uninstalled and reinstalled. I have not done a Wiim factory reset. Next on the list. I am on Tidal 2.69. Issue is intermittent. Wiim will show up after turning phone wifi off and then on. But, then it will disappear. My Sonos Arc is rock solid. Always there, never loses connection. Just don't ever need to play music to the Sonos Arc:) Wiim support finally contacted me and they state they are talking with Tidal about the issue as it is a known issue to them.

liviurosioara

It's not enough. You must lower the volume to get at least 1.2 difference I think.

It seems that with the 0 dBFS sine wave I get distortions at any volume level I set on the Wiim. For anything below 0 dBFS even 99 volume starts to make a difference.

Anyway, nothing that we can fix on our own, hopefully Wiim Support is also active here.

thibodeaux

I wish the Amazon app would be as responsive as Spotify's app. I always get spinning blue circles when searching or browsing...
Yeah, they really have a lot of improving to do to catch up to the functionality and features of Spotify!

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
It seems that with the 0 dBFS sine wave I get distortions at any volume level I set on the Wiim. For anything below 0 dBFS even 99 volume starts to make a difference.

Anyway, nothing that we can fix on our own, hopefully Wiim Support is also active here.
It's also possible that 2V on the WiiMs output is too much for your equipment as you record its analog output. Distortions introduces by WiiM in the digital domain should be visible on lower voltage levels as well.

liviurosioara

It's also possible that 2V on the WiiMs output is too much for your equipment as you record its analog output. Distortions introduces by WiiM in the digital domain should be visible on lower voltage levels as well.
I lowered while testing to 1V and 0.8V and it's exactly the same behavior. Overall analog level was lower but the same 'flat' output with distortions between 0 and -1.2.

Top Bottom