• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is this track too hot?

OzarkCDN

There's a test track on Apple music that I was checking out my new monitors with and there's a nasty buzz coming through my Kali speakers. We had some electrical damage, so wasn't sure if something in the audio chain was damaged. I swapped preamps and it still persists, so I don't think it's that side of things, but before I go further I was wondering if someone might be able to test this out and let me know if the bass in this track from Apple music is just overblown?

Bass test track

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Clean on one DAC, not as clean on the other. Maybe a problem with intersample overs, but I don't have a way to upload PCM from there to measure it.

OP
O

OzarkCDN

I wonder if I have a setting messed up then. I pulled out my macbook and a set of headphones and hear the same buzz!

levimax

Major Contributor
There's a test track on Apple music that I was checking out my new monitors with and there's a nasty buzz coming through my Kali speakers. We had some electrical damage, so wasn't sure if something in the audio chain was damaged. I swapped preamps and it still persists, so I don't think it's that side of things, but before I go further I was wondering if someone might be able to test this out and let me know if the bass in this track from Apple music is just overblown?

Bass test track
Are you using DSP room correction? Sometimes this can cause digital clipping which can sound like a "nasty buzz".

OP
O

OzarkCDN

No, I've run it from apple music on my macbook pro to planar headphones, or to active monitors through a beringer umc 204hd interface, or through a minidsp flex.

Top Bottom