• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is using a mini air blower for cleaning speakers a good idea?

Recluse-Animator

Our house is really dusty too. We live high up on a ridge, in a pole home in the forest. Lots of dust from the valley/trees below. Drives me nuts, but HiFi and electronics really don't care to be honest.
Is it close to the ocean or why is it on poles?

OP
dosifey

dosifey

Wow, the thread has gone off rail with all of the dust storms and psychological disorder discussions.

No, I do not concider wiping excessive dust every couple of months OCD, I think it is just reasonable.

Yes, it is a shame there is no proper procedure in place for cleaning speakers.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Swiffer
00037000770091_80354316-Pet-Dusting-Kit-with-Febreze.jpg

Keep it away from the phono cartdridge though.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a feather duster on my 15s and 511 horns.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@dosifey
Could you post a picture of your dusty tweeter?

OP
dosifey

dosifey

@dosifey
Could you post a picture of your dusty tweeter?
Why? This is not a warranty claim. I am not going to participate in any flame wars. If you don't believe that dust settles on surfaces - no need to post in this thread.
Or will the picture of dust help you to come up with some solution on how to remove it?..

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
On another post I saw a picture of a dome tweeter that was contaminated by fungus!
I am curious to see how a ribbon tweeter can be a dirt magnet.
May be the field that activate the ribbon is attracting dirt?
Anyway it is a curious phenomenon.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I am not sure how thick/rugged an AMT tweeter is -- try to track down AMT and ask them? Ribbons are very fragile and it is easier to replace than clean them. Most of the time cleaning leads to destruction leads to replacement anyway... But I am not sure exactly what AMT uses -- it used to be a heavier corrugated material that you could brush, gently...

Old experience follows, I am no longer working as an audio tech and have not in years.

The old Infinity EMIT/EMIM and Magnepan's panels (not the ribbon tweeters) could be cleaned using a camel-hair make-up brush as @restorer-john suggested. That was always my "go-to" solution in my techie days. An air blast or vacuum would easily destroy the membranes if too strong, and since the airflow is almost impossible to control, well... Some ESL panels could be removed and hosed off (gently!) but most manufacturers IME say to just ignore it until they start arcing, then rebuild/replace.

FWIWFM - Don

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

warpdrive

I would not go anywhere near AMT with anything.

I have the Giottos Rocket Blaster and I use it for electronics and lenses. I tried it on an aluminium dome tweeter and it was powerful enough to push the whole tweeter noticeably backwards (but it sprung back into place). With a soft dome tweeter it may irreparably dent it.

For my soft dome tweeter, the only thing I've ever done is to use a glasses microfiber cloth and barely sweep the surface to get off the few dust particles. I don't apply any pressure.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

Thank you every one, it is clear that cleainging them is a bad idea. Will just live wiht dust. Not that it bothers me too much, was just curious.

Top Bottom