• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Anthem overrated? Considering switching to Denon

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have both a Denon x3100 and an Anthem mrx1140. To answer your questions.
1) no it's not silly to make the switch as long as you are happy and it has all the features you want.
2) no I don't think Anthem is overrated. Their current generation has an excellent pre amp section, multiple independent subwoofer support and great headroom in their class a/b amp channels. Also ARC is excellent and their software is very flexible and the web interface is much better than using an onboard UI like my old Denon.
3) the main difference would be ensuring you get Audyssey xt32 so you can adjust the target curve, getting true multiple independent subwoofer outputs, and the extra power gets you more headroom in the amplifier section which improves things like "impact." So pick the one that best meets your needs.

Here is a good article from Audioholics on the current gen mrx measurements.
Not just XT32 but also the use of the Audyssey apps which came a few models after yours (and mine).

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not just XT32 but also the use of the Audyssey apps which came a few models after yours (and mine).
Yes. Agreed you need the app as well.

On benefits of the Denon they have a much more robust streaming feature set. They have Heos and support for more protocols and services for native music streaming. Anthem only supports Spotify, Airplay2, and Chromecast.

euge_lee

I would recommend getting a stand alone DIRAC and getting the cheapest AVR with the outputs, formats and wattage you need.
I have an older Marantz AV7005 pre-pro and have no desire for ATMOS and I've solved my 4K HDMI routing... so this was my plan with something like a MiniDSP DDRC-8A... but lack of DLBC keeps me from thinking it's worth it. And any "PC based" system is more than I want to get into.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I would probably go with a Denon + external amps if you really want.

To me the Japanese are leading on the tech front... I'm not super impressed with the lag that the really high end companies have on tech and continuing support.
You forgot Korean companies like LG and now Samsung with OLED!

Descartes

Major Contributor
Until we read Amir’s reviews on the AVM-90 and Denon 3800 as a prepro I will keep my hard earned money before buying!

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I have both a Denon x3100 and an Anthem mrx1140. To answer your questions.
1) no it's not silly to make the switch as long as you are happy and it has all the features you want.
2) no I don't think Anthem is overrated. Their current generation has an excellent pre amp section, multiple independent subwoofer support and great headroom in their class a/b amp channels. Also ARC is excellent and their software is very flexible and the web interface is much better than using an onboard UI like my old Denon.
3) the main difference would be ensuring you get Audyssey xt32 so you can adjust the target curve, getting true multiple independent subwoofer outputs, and the extra power gets you more headroom in the amplifier section which improves things like "impact." So pick the one that best meets your needs.

Here is a good article from Audioholics on the current gen mrx measurements.
740 does not have independent sub outputs.

kmidst

A few weeks ago I bought an Anthem 740 8K and returned after a couple of days. HDMI passthrough was buggy and the Anthem comes equipped with a pretty noisy fan. Beyond those two issues it may be amazing, or it could have many other problems... I wouldn't know. I couldn't stand the fan so I didn't give it a chance. I'm now looking at getting the x3800. Quite a while ago I had a Marantz AVR. The thing just worked. Replaced that with a NAD T777, and the NAD is junk. I'm done accepting bad software for perception of sound quality. It's better to have an AVR that works most of the time.
Did you connect that 740 to internet and update the firmware? It's true the 8K line did release buggy, but there's been fixes since then.
The fan comment is fair though. I have the 740 8K myself, and I would say that the fan is usually only noticeable to me during quiet moments. But even still, I might put in a better/quieter fan at some point if it starts to be a real bother.

kmidst

Also, this is so weird. I've found many posts on reddit and such of people saying they went from Denon to Anthem and would never go back. So many mixed opinions out there.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Also, this is so weird. I've found many posts on reddit and such of people saying they went from Denon to Anthem and would never go back. So many mixed opinions out there.
Yep, once a human makes a decision it is seemingly impossible for them to not attached confirmation bias to that purchase. Denon will have fewer bugs—anthem more. Denon will be getting Dirac. Denon has much better user manuals. Anthem sparse user manuals.

kmidst

Yep, once a human makes a decision it is seemingly impossible for them to not attached confirmation bias to that purchase. Denon will have fewer bugs—anthem more. Denon will be getting Dirac. Denon has much better user manuals. Anthem sparse user manuals.
I think there's no argument that Denon makes more sense financially. Some pros of the new Anthem line: ARC room correction is very well regarded, web interface for the receiver is user friendly and has great features, all channels are assignable ( you could have heights instead of surrounds if you want for example), IMO the best looks of any modern receiver. And subjectively the Anthem sounds incredible to me, for what that's worth.

morpheusX

All AVR's, as long as powerful enough to power your speakers, to the SPL level you want, will sound the same.
What distinguish them is the EQ capabilities (None, PEQ, Audyssey, Dirac, ARC, etc), and features.

Otherwise is a waste of money.

kmidst

All AVR's, as long as powerful enough to power your speakers, to the SPL level you want, will sound the same.
What distinguish them is the EQ capabilities (None, PEQ, Audyssey, Dirac, ARC, etc), and features.

Otherwise is a waste of money.
What data or information makes you say that they will all sound the same besides for EQ and features? There's a lot of engineering behind the scenes - circuit topology, component selection, performance tuning, etc that will affect the overall sound.

MarkS

Major Contributor
What data or information makes you say that they will all sound the same besides for EQ and features?
Decades of blind listening tests.
There's a lot of engineering behind the scenes - circuit topology, component selection, performance tuning, etc that will affect the overall sound.
Nope, none of that makes any audible difference.

morpheusX

All the research and experts opinions reflect that.

My personal experience with 3 AVR's confirms that (Arcam AVR 350 / Emotiva Pre UMC-200 + UPA 700 / NAD T758).
All sounded the same without EQ applied, the NAD T758 is the best sounding after Dirac.

kmidst

Can you link me some of that research? I'd like to see the details myself. That is a very broad claim and so it's understandably hard to believe at face value.

MarkS

Major Contributor

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
I've never owned a Denon AVR, and I'm sure they have great manuals.

However just as a counterpoint, I do own an Anthem and was pleasantly surprised at its manual compared with Japanese AVRs and other equipment that I've had in the past. It is intelligibly written, well laid out and printed on nice stock. For more advanced usage, you can also refer to Anthem's online FAQs etc, although I admit I did have a couple of questions which were only answered in reviews or on discussion boards (that's true of much of the equipment I own though).

Evidence:

Manual.png

Golfx

Forum Donor

However just as a counterpoint, I do own an Anthem and was pleasantly surprised at its manual compared with Japanese AVRs and other equipment that I've had in the past. It is intelligibly written, well laid out and printed on nice stock. For more advanced usage, you can also refer to Anthem's online FAQs etc, although I admit I did have a couple of questions which were only answered in reviews or on discussion boards (that's true of much of the equipment I own though).

Evidence:

View attachment 239668
Typical Denon AVR manuals have 350 pages and online searchable versions as well.

Descartes

Major Contributor

Evidence:

View attachment 239668
No more printed manuals from Anthem unfortunately all on line!!
At $7999 they should have one also it would be nice if they had a better remote my old Classe SSP-800 was cheaper and had an aluminum remote case!

Top Bottom