• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

telemike

Thanks for replying. I know I'm in the wrong place to say this, but I'm a novice with this. I really don't know what that means. I followed some instructions from Synology and downloaded the "media server" package and that's it. I don't know about the other things you refer to. (I did fear I would be in over my head with this stuff!)

keiron99

Thanks. I've done exactly as it says there - it's just painfully slow. Unusable in fact because it's so slow. (It works great apart from that!)

It has all the hallmarks of trying to use too big a file on an old underpowered computer.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Thanks for replying. I know I'm in the wrong place to say this, but I'm a novice with this. I really don't know what that means. I followed some instructions from Synology and downloaded the "media server" package and that's it. I don't know about the other things you refer to. (I did fear I would be in over my head with this stuff!)
Been a while since I used Synology’s own media server, but I fired It up again and I have no problem with speed etc when using it from the WiiM app - it appears as Synology_Ds213j under Home Music Server, and when I choose that then Music, I can then browse by folder, artist, album etc with no slowness in response.

Given I first set it up a while ago, it probably had already indexed all my music files. On this page https://kb.synology.com/en-uk/DSM/help/MediaServer/application_mediaserver_desc?version=7 under the fourth bullet point on the right, have you gone into your NAS Control Panel (“Categorize multimedia files within the indexed folder to be browsed and played by the DMA devices within the local network. (Go to Control Panel > Indexing Service > Media Indexing > Indexed Folder)”) and ticked Music so that it indexes your collection? If you’ve only just set up the Media Server, perhaps you need to leave that indexing process running for a while then try browsing again thru the WiiM app.

morillon

Major Contributor
I said etc etc
but...:rolleyes: I checked.... for modest use...
distortion affects the analog output the same way.
at least, has the advantage of being clear....:confused:
forgot just the internet radio for me to.. that s dead... .:(

If others want to redo these measures I will be happy.
surprising that there is no more reaction or desire to investigate...
it's the listening, bad, that made me react...
I did what I could at my level...
measures and ticket to wiim..

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Well, this is embarrassing. Just checked again - somehow EQ had been enabled on my WiiM. Doh! Ran the RME tests again, all pass, up to 24/192. :facepalm: Sorry for my stupid mistake! Apologies to @WiiM Support

DE734172-465D-4FFC-9312-D50D5AE8B6C0.jpeg

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Great respect for @amirm, who has to get all these settings right on equipment under test that he's not familiar with. So many settings, so many things that can dramatically affect the test outcome!

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
After watching Doris Day in Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much, 1956 version last night, decided to give her one and only jazz outing, Duet with Andre Previn, a spin. Weird. She's buried WAY back in the background. Switched to playing straight through the DAC from my PC - perfect; as expected, Doris comes through loud and clear on the right channel.

@WiiM Support, something very odd is happening to this recording on the WiiM Mini. I tried playing from my NAS, from Deezer, from Qobuz and from Tidal. Same result. I'll open a ticket.

View attachment 230179
Whatever was causing this weirdness is now fixed in the current firmware. Never did get feedback on my ticket, but they did something.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Pro has same dac as mini so sound quality is same as mini. Just more connection plus chromecast support.

Music1969

Major Contributor
What exactly does that bring to the table?
Well nearly every streaming app can cast to Chromecast devices.

And not everyone uses iOS.

And not everyone uses Roon or even a UPnP player.

Seems like a big addition.

And even if you use Roon, you can play to Chromecast devices gaplessly

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What exactly does that bring to the table?
Qobuz, which is otherwise reduced to a 1990s throwback experience through bubble upnp or mconnect.

W@P

Well nearly every streaming app can cast to Chromecast devices.

And not everyone uses iOS.

And not everyone uses Roon or even a UPnP player.

Seems like a big addition.

And even if you use Roon, you can play to Chromecast devices gaplessly
Sounds great, at what quality would it be able to cast the music? The same as when using optical? Would one then be able to use the Tidal app on the Chromecast 4k Google TV and cast the sound to the Wiim and use the tidal app on your phone to control the music? That sounds ideal.

I have a Chromecast 4k Google TV.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Sounds great, at what quality would it be able to cast the music? The same as when using optical?
I haven't seen any device supporting over 96kHz with Chromecast - we don't know about WiiM Pro . You can jump on their forum to ask them directly.

They are seeking questions there.

Would one then be able to use the Tidal app on the Chromecast 4k Google TV and cast the sound to the Wiim

If the Tidal app on Chromecast 4K supports it then yes. Wouldn't be a limitation of WiiM Pro - would be a limitation of Tidal app on Google TV.

Do you have the cheap original Chromecast Audio puck with TOSlink output ? Whatever you can do with that thing, you'll be able to do with WiiM Pro.

and use the tidal app on your phone to control the music?

What you describe is Spotify Connect. Tidal Connect doesn't work that way for any device on the planet. So not a limitation of WiiM Pro here.

Put in a feature request to Tidal though. I have and many others have.. The more that ask, the more chance they make it like Spotify Connect.

But if using your phone anyway, just use Tidal and cast direct to WiiM Pro (supports Tidal Connect)? Why does Google TV even need to be in the loop ?

Top Bottom