• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with a math problem to determine SE output on a Sabaj A20h Amplifier

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Sabaj A20h amplifier, but the only power output ratings are for the balanced outputs. The email to Sabaj bounced with an error, so I took what measurements I could. Here's the factory numbers for balanced: 4W(16Ω), 2W(32Ω), 1W(300Ω), 500mW(600Ω) I'm using the SMSL M300 DAC in DAC mode (not preamp, full power).

I set a 200mhz test tone and put the Hifiman Ananda in the same spot to measure with a decibel meter phone app. On XLR it measured 60db and on the single end 54db with everything else being the same. I know 6db either way could double or halve the volume, but most amplifiers I've seen only have 1/4 the power on the single ended side. Is there a formula to solve for SE output power using the known numbers? I have a spare to send in for measurements, but for now just using what I've got. Just got a new DT880 250 ohm in a few minutes ago (I get 4-5 headphones a week) and at -10 volume in medium gain it's about as loud as I'd go, amazing power but trying to pin down the SE number.

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Power is the wrong metric. Output levels (SPL) of headphones and speakers respond to signal voltages*. Since the SE voltage is usually half of BAL, it is -6 dB (=20 * log10(1/2)) compared to BAL, which is reflected in your measurement.

* Power is the amp output voltage multiplying the current draw, which depends on the load as current = voltage / load impedance.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
-6dB is half the voltage (or half of the digital amplitude) and 1/4 of the power.

Power is calculated as Voltage X Current.

Current is proportional to voltage (and inversely proportional to resistance or impedance).

So when you cut the voltage in half you also cut the current in half for 1/4 of the power.

djtetei

The SMSL A300 dac unbalanced output level is 2 V RMS.
Sabaj A20H headphone amplifier, on unbalanced inputs to unbalanced outputs circuit, has the following gains: 0 dB (low), 6 dB (medium), 9 dB (high).
For a load of 250 ohms, Sabaj A20H should deliver the following power outputs:
- on low gain: 16 mW
- on medium gain: 63 mW
- on high gain: 127 mW
For a desired listening level of max 110 dB SPL, on Beyerdynamic DT 880, on medium gain, the Sabaj A20H headphone amplifier will have a headroom (power reserve) of 4 dB.

Last edited:
Top Bottom