• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I'll leave that as an exercise for someone else. I'm perfectly satisfied that the WiiM Mini is bit-perfect.
I would say it's an approach similar to the case when someone refuses to do a blind test because he knows that he can hear the difference.
But I can understand you are not curious about the result of a test I suggested, so ok and nvm.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I would say it's an approach similar to the case when someone refuses to do a blind test because he knows that he can hear the difference.
But I can understand you are not curious about the result of a test I suggested, so ok and nvm.
Not at all the same. RME provides files to test for bit transparency. They work.

Unlike many "high end" providers, RME doesn't engage in marketing shenanigans. They are an engineering-driven company, as @amirm's tests of their products shows.

From RME's website:

Ever wondered whether your OS, its core drivers, the player software, the interface driver and the interface format all work with full bit accuracy? A bit transparency test can give an answer. RME provides several test files (wav) as free download. These wav files can be easily played on Windows, Mac and Linux computers. Playing them back with bit accuracy will issue a message on the ADI-2 Pro's display, saying 'Bit Test – 16 Bit, 24 or 32 Bit passed', according to the used file and available resolution. There is no need to set anything at the unit.

I take them at their word.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Not at all the same. RME provides files to test for bit transparency. They work.

Unlike many "high end" providers, RME doesn't engage in marketing shenanigans. They are an engineering-driven company, as @amirm's tests of their products shows.

From RME's website:

I take them at their word.
Have you ever benchmarked anything? RME test has some similarities to synthetic tests IMO. I prefer real world tests whenever possible as more transparent.

telemike

Does it really matter? I’m quite satisfied with 192/24 streaming from Amazon when available

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Does it really matter? I’m quite satisfied with 192/24 streaming from Amazon when available
It's not about personal satisfaction. I'm fully satisfied with 96kHz audio sent from Mini to my miniDSP for acoustic correction.

Bamyasi

AFAIK sinad is an abbreviation to "signal to noise and distortion ratio". Can you explain how it can indicate if player alters some data in the decoding process?
Yes, it was actually dynamic range that was measured since there is no harmonic distortion in the digital domain. I called it SINAD since this is the name Amir has been using in his APx template:

Attachments

• 20221022_224642.jpg
    20221022_224642.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 53

Mojorisin35

I really want to love this thing… but constant dropouts and after the latest update 24/192 streaming on Amazon which worked fine before results in a loud white noise/screeching sound every-time a 24/192 track comes up in a playlist.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I really want to love this thing… but constant dropouts and after the latest update 24/192 streaming on Amazon which worked fine before results in a loud white noise/screeching sound every-time a 24/192 track comes up in a playlist.
I'm streaming 24/192k on Amazon Music UHD. Works fine for me.

Faulty optical cable? Could be a faulty WiiM Mini itself (TOSlink interface)?

But can't be a firmware bug otherwise I would have the same problem - I don't.

I'm on build 20221017

morillon

Major Contributor
wiim was part of saturation problems in eq mode etc that they would have settled ...
seemed to me that the sound was really bad for quite a while
I wanted to take a closer look...
for those a little equipped
, Could you verify?

I find a saturation in non-eq mode on a simple 1khz 4824 etc.
in my case, optic num seem " kaput" ;-) ...( for example
s observed even more easily on compressed radios etc with a flux at almost 0db constant
etc, in situations far from 0db, this will not notice )
(same manipulation with a chromecast but no worries there)
last firmware and wiim home android

fast examples 1k 4824 0dbfs same condition, to strike the spirits ;-)

Attachments

• 1k wiim 4824.PNG
    1k wiim 4824.PNG
    69.4 KB · Views: 61
  • saturation wiim.PNG
    saturation wiim.PNG
    80.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
wiim was part of saturation problems in eq mode etc that they would have settled ...
seemed to me that the sound was really bad for quite a while
I wanted to take a closer look...
for those a little equipped
, Could you verify?

I find a saturation in non-eq mode of -1db on a simple 1khz etc.
in my case, optic num seem " kaput" ;-) ...( for example
s observed even more easily on compressed radios etc with a flux at almost 0db constant
etc, in situations far from 0db, this will not notice )
(same manipulation with a chromecast but no worries there)
last firmware and wiim home android

fast examples 1k 4824 same condition, to strike the spirits ;-)
I'm not sure if I understand it correctly. Left chart was for fixed volume at 0 dB, and right one at -1 dB?

BTW, I've seen once that Mini was reporting Volume = 0.99 instead of 1 when fixed volume had been enabled.

morillon

Major Contributor
no
sames conditions optic spdif...
the essence of my remarks, I especially hope that some will realize a little the same observations to validate my fast observation???

the clipping problem is still there.. that's all... in no eq mode too (since ? in middle of september seem ok like my first picture)
it is somewhere more important than 192k and co

in my case deezer does not really work
I still had some radios
some heavily dynamic compressed radios "fun " became quite
"inaudible"
I bring out the chromecast "for everything"

"
(Latest)
Release date:
10 / 11 / 2022
This update involves the following:
  • Improvement - Spotify playback smoothness
  • Fixed – Slave speaker volume issue for the Spotify multiroom
  • Fixed - EQ clipping when using the fixed volume option or playing music in high volume
  • New feature – Add movie and gaming EQ modes
  • Improvement – SPDIF output becomes idle when system stops play in two minutes
  • Improvement – Bit perfect output for LinkPlay multiroom for 48k Hz or lower, 16-bit content.
  • Fixed – Keep the BT Source mode when the device reboots
  • Other bug fixes and performance improvements

"

Last edited:

Alan B

I'm a new member here. Hi all.

About a month ago I bought a WiiM Mini and am very pleased with it.

On Friday, I replaced my old DAC (Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100) with a Topping EX5 DAC/headphone amp.

With the DACMagic connected to the WiiM Mini the DAC displayed 24bit 192kHz on certain songs from Amazon Music USD. With the Topping, these are displayed at 16 bit 44.1kHz, although the WiiM app shows them as 24 bit 192kHz.

The Topping specs say the optical input is PCM 44.1-192kHz 16-24 bit so it should play at the highest resolution.

If I connect my laptop to the Topping via USB the same songs display at 192kHz.

What am I doing wrong?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I'm a new member here. Hi all.

About a month ago I bought a WiiM Mini and am very pleased with it.

On Friday, I replaced my old DAC (Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100) with a Topping EX5 DAC/headphone amp.

With the DACMagic connected to the WiiM Mini the DAC displayed 24bit 192kHz on certain songs from Amazon Music USD. With the Topping, these are displayed at 16 bit 44.1kHz, although the WiiM app shows them as 24 bit 192kHz.

The Topping specs say the optical input is PCM 44.1-192kHz 16-24 bit so it should play at the highest resolution.

If I connect my laptop to the Topping via USB the same songs display at 192kHz.

What am I doing wrong?
You will always see max sampling rate on DAC connected to the laptop via USB when you play from Amazon Music app because the app upsamples songs to the rate set in the DAC driver properties.
Regarding WiiM, what happens when you limit toslink to 96 kHz in WiiM Home app settings?

telemike

No issues with Amazon 192/24 for me. Change optical cable and check Wi-Fi

Alan B

When I set the toslink limit to 192kHz 24 bit in the WiiM app I can hear the test music and the app displays a message saying the output is 192kHz 24 bit. However the Topping EX5 still displays 44.1kHz.
The same happens when I change the toslink limit to 96kHz 24 bit.

Very strange. Perhaps it is the Topping display on optical input that is faulty.

PS how do I quote previous posts?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
When I set the toslink limit to 192kHz 24 bit in the WiiM app I can hear the test music and the app displays a message saying the output is 192kHz 24 bit. However the Topping EX5 still displays 44.1kHz.
The same happens when I change the toslink limit to 96kHz 24 bit.

Very strange. Perhaps it is the Topping display on optical input that is faulty.

PS how do I quote previous posts?
Please look at this discussion:

Similar behavior has been mentioned already.

(To quote just use "Reply" on the selected post)

Top Bottom