• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

fungd

Not sure why mine is acting different. The only thing I can think of is that "mine" is technically the Martin Logan Unison, which I had been led to believe is identical but with airplay and different branding. Maybe somewhere along the way that feature was implemented differently.
Ironically, the PWLink manual doesn't mention the fixed volume mode. It's the Unison manual where people learned about it, and it works on the Link.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At $199 direct from Paradigm, is this a good alternative to Bluesound NODE/Topping E50? (Balanced amp and Revel speakers)

DonM

Not sure why mine is acting different. The only thing I can think of is that "mine" is technically the Martin Logan Unison, which I had been led to believe is identical but with airplay and different branding. Maybe somewhere along the way that feature was implemented differently.
I have the Martin Logan Unison and have implemented that fixed reduced volume setting with no issues. Since there is a two year warranty on this unit why don't you contact Martin Logan Service.

nathan

I have one of each (and prefer the ML since it has Airplay) and they work the same for me. I realize this doesn't help you with the fact yours works differently. I cannot explain that.
At $199 direct from Paradigm, is this a good alternative to Bluesound NODE/Topping E50? (Balanced amp and Revel speakers)
The problem is that the streaming depends on the buggy PlayFi ecosystem and app. I don't know how the Bluesound app works, but it can't be any worse, and is likely better.

Let me put it another way: I bought a Sonos CONNECT as my source into my Paradigm unit since the interface is so much better with the Sonos.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
I have the Martin Logan Unison and have implemented that fixed reduced volume setting with no issues. Since there is a two year warranty on this unit why don't you contact Martin Logan Service.
With digital in and digital out? If so, maybe I will contact them.

hpp8140

I have one of each (and prefer the ML since it has Airplay) and they work the same for me. I realize this doesn't help you with the fact yours works differently. I cannot explain that.

The problem is that the streaming depends on the buggy PlayFi ecosystem and app. I don't know how the Bluesound app works, but it can't be any worse, and is likely better.

Let me put it another way: I bought a Sonos CONNECT as my source into my Paradigm unit since the interface is so much better with the Sonos.
LoL I agreed at some point, but PlayFi has improved so much.....works well enough with Amazon, Qobuz. I wish the Transfer playback would be set once like Chromecast...it's a weird experience switching back and forth everytime you play a new song the way it works now.

nathan

LoL I agreed at some point, but PlayFi has improved so much.....works well enough with Amazon, Qobuz. I wish the Transfer playback would be set once like Chromecast...it's a weird experience switching back and forth everytime you play a new song the way it works now.
I'm glad it is working well for you.

Between not supporting the streaming services I use, being funky with local streaming, and the "transfer playback" setting issue you mention (it should really, by default, be "on" like every other streaming device these days, imo -- more stable, and higher quality audio) I ended up adding a Sonos Connect to my critical music listening rig, for stability, reliability, quality, and ease of use. It felt silly and redundant and should be unnecessary, but now I never have to worry: will it work? will it glitch out? will I get annoyed with the transfer playback? what work around will I need to do to access my streaming services (mostly Apple and Google, neither of which are supported)? etc.

Rebelhifi

Forum Donor

Between not supporting the streaming services I use, being funky with local streaming, and the "transfer playback" setting issue you mention (it should really, by default, be "on" like every other streaming device these days, imo -- more stable, and higher quality audio) I ended up adding a Sonos Connect to my critical music listening rig, for stability, reliability, quality, and ease of use. It felt silly and redundant and should be unnecessary, but now I never have to worry: will it work? will it glitch out? will I get annoyed with the transfer playback? what work around will I need to do to access my streaming services (mostly Apple and Google, neither of which are supported)? etc.
I moved to the WiiM unit (all types of streaming) with Toslink out. It has worked fairly well and about $100. They keep improving and has been great.

Rebelhifi

Forum Donor
Yes. I have a few units. One is playing through the Paradigm Link (to a DAC to Preamp), 2 playing in in other rooms to DACs to preamp (outside system and basement). I also tried (have 2) the Belkin unit. WiiM is better.

hpp8140

I agree for stability. Some PlayFi units support airplay, like the Martin Logan forte. I also use BubbleUPnP DLNA to stream from local server.

Also, it now has chromecast support depending on device, but all this is too convoluted.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Hi, does anyone know if the digital output can do 24 bit? I know it downsamples to 48 khz, but curious how it handles 24 bit lossless from somewhere like amazon hd or quobuz.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Next question. Any guess as to whether the ADC is sufficient for picking up my turntable, or whether I would be better off using an external ADC and then going digital in?

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
Next question. Any guess as to whether the ADC is sufficient for picking up my turntable, or whether I would be better off using an external ADC and then going digital in?
I'm doing this and it works well though apply unity gain which fixes the volume and removes distortion.

Technics turntable ➔ RCA ➔ Schiit Mani preamp ➔ RCA ➔ PW Link ➔ TOSLINK ➔ Yamaha A-S801 integrated amp with optical inputs

One feature of the PW Link that I really like is auto-switching inputs so I rarely need to switch inputs on the PW Link because it can tell if the digital or analog input has a signal.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
I'm doing this and it works well though apply unity gain which fixes the volume and removes distortion.

Technics turntable ➔ RCA ➔ Schiit Mani preamp ➔ RCA ➔ PW Link ➔ TOSLINK ➔ Yamaha A-S801 integrated amp with optical inputs

One feature of the PW Link that I really like is auto-switching inputs so I rarely need to switch inputs on the PW Link because it can tell if the digital or analog input has a signal.
Yeah - my setup is really similar. I was just curious how bad the ADC chip is in the PW Link since it wasn't measured and it isn't the world's most expensive device to begin with. My idea was to insert something like https://focusrite.com/en/audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-solo in between the preamp and the PW Link. I just don't know if there would be an audible improvement as I have seen offhand comments that you don't need a high SINAD when dealing with a turntable.

nathan

In the absence of measurements, its really hard to say the focusrite as an analog to digital input is any better than just using the analog input on the Link.....especially for a turntable, since both methods have far greater signal to noise ratio than is needed. That money would be more impactful on a few acoustic panels in the room....

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
In the absence of measurements, its really hard to say the focusrite as an analog to digital input is any better than just using the analog input on the Link.....especially for a turntable, since both methods have far greater signal to noise ratio than is needed. That money would be more impactful on a few acoustic panels in the room....
I think that's the conclusion I'm coming to.

pbc

Picked up one of these relatively cheaply. But am having a hell of a time trying to set it up wirelessly on my iPhone even though the router signal is strong. When I try and set it up as an airplay device I constantly get the "an unexpected error has occurred" and it won't connect.

I connected it in another room via Ethernet and then thought it was working (seemed to work wirelessly), but when I bought it back to the den it again didn't connect. I don't think it's the strength of the wireless signal as even when right next to the router I get the same error.

Any ideas?

nathan

Paradigm didn’t enable the Apple airplay capability. Only the Martin Logan version has it working.

Top Bottom