• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Revel dealer network is sparse. Don't buy new on the internet. Call Revel dealers and ask best price. Can find deals that sometimes come close to used. Problem is shipping. If dealer will ship, will charge shipping. I have observed some claim drop shipping. I doubt it. I purchased Anthem 520 through its website. Drop shipped through a retailer I never heard of. I was paying list. I can't find list of Revel dealers on website. Asks for address and only provides list within range. Frustrating.
I assume most mid-high end dealers in most cities carry Revel. I would just Goggle Hifi shops in the area and start calling. If one is willing to drive to Nashville to pick up HiFi Buys on Nolensville Road carries Revel... I was told shipping is prohibitively expensive due to their weight and size.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
FYI, Revel Performa3 speakers (including the F208) are on sale right now for 30% off MSRP, as good as I have seen. Contact a dealer for pricing. I received a newsletter from mine about the deal.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI, Revel Performa3 speakers (including the F208) are on sale right now for 30% off MSRP, as good as I have seen. Contact a dealer for pricing. I received a newsletter from mine about the deal.
Which model are you getting ?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Which model are you getting ?
I think I'm good... Actually thought about picking up a C205 or C208 for one of the boys but too many other demands right now.

OzarkCDN

Revel dealer network is sparse. Don't buy new on the internet. Call Revel dealers and ask best price. Can find deals that sometimes come close to used. Problem is shipping. If dealer will ship, will charge shipping. I have observed some claim drop shipping. I doubt it. I purchased Anthem 520 through its website. Drop shipped through a retailer I never heard of. I was paying list. I can't find list of Revel dealers on website. Asks for address and only provides list within range. Frustrating.
I pm’d the proprietor of this website, @amirm , as his company is a dealer, to buy my pair.
-
Considering the specs on this speaker, what would you all look for in a sub to pair for a large room?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I pm’d the proprietor of this website, @amirm , as his company is a dealer, to buy my pair.
-
Considering the specs on this speaker, what would you all look for in a sub to pair for a large room?
You might not need a sub. If you go that direction, get at least 2 subs.

iNetRunner

-
Depends entirely on your budget. But I’d aim for two 15” subs. For example something like two Rythmik Audio F15HP should do nicely.

Dgob

-
If space and finances allow, I would recommend using four (maybe SVS) subs. Despite other possible failings, Audioholics do some good reviews around sub use and placement. And with a sub in each corner of your large room, you will hear the rewards. With a pair of F208's integrated, I doubt that you could want for more.

Good luck

iNetRunner

If space and finances allow, I would recommend using four (maybe SVS) subs. Despite other possible failings, Audioholics do some good reviews around sub use and placement. And with a sub in each corner of your large room, you will hear the rewards. With a pair of F208's integrated, I doubt that you could want for more.

Good luck
Technically corners aren’t usually the best places to put subwoofers at. The most optimal would be the center of each wall. But along three or four walls would be good too.

Dgob

Technically corners aren’t usually the best places to put subwoofers at. The most optimal would be the center of each wall. But along three or four walls would be good too.
As they go to great lengths to demonstrate on Audioholics, it really does optimise base performance. As counter-intuitive as that sounds. I tried various options and would whole heartedly recommend others give it a go.

Presently42

This is researched by Todd Welti: https://www.harman.com/documents/multsubs_0.pdf

From the conclusion: "One subwoofer at each wall midpoint is the best in terms of Std, Max-ave and Max-min but does not support low frequencies particularly well. Two subwoofers, at opposing wall midpoints, performs very nearly as well as four at the midpoints and gives a much better LF factor. One subwoofer in each corner also has good low frequency support, but does not perform quite as well as one subwoofer at each wall midpoint, in terms of Std, Max-ave and Max-min. If cost and aesthetics are considered, subwoofers at 2 wall midpoints is preferred."

Dgob

This is researched by Todd Welti: https://www.harman.com/documents/multsubs_0.pdf

From the conclusion: "One subwoofer at each wall midpoint is the best in terms of Std, Max-ave and Max-min but does not support low frequencies particularly well. Two subwoofers, at opposing wall midpoints, performs very nearly as well as four at the midpoints and gives a much better LF factor. One subwoofer in each corner also has good low frequency support, but does not perform quite as well as one subwoofer at each wall midpoint, in terms of Std, Max-ave and Max-min. If cost and aesthetics are considered, subwoofers at 2 wall midpoints is preferred."

Hi,

I hope this helps. You'll need to watch it to the end when our key concerns here are addressed in the wider context.

There are also various associated, alternative papers and reviews that follow the same advice.

Good luck

OzarkCDN

I have old Naim NAC A5 speaker wire from my previous Naim 42.5/140 system that's already snaic'd (sic... lol.. old naim pun there) through the walls. IIRC, it's low capacitance, high inductance cable. Would that be fine for the 208's? I found these stats from a dealer:

The specs for Naim NACA5:

Capacitance (max): 16 pF / meter
Inductance (min): 1 uH / meter
Resistance: 9 milliohms / meter

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I have old Naim NAC A5 speaker wire from my previous Naim 42.5/140 system that's already snaic'd (sic... lol.. old naim pun there) through the walls. IIRC, it's low capacitance, high inductance cable. Would that be fine for the 208's? I found these stats from a dealer:

The specs for Naim NACA5:

Capacitance (max): 16 pF / meter
Inductance (min): 1 uH / meter
Resistance: 9 milliohms / meter
Yes

beren777

For those with F208's, do you run them full range or do you cross them over with your sub for music and/or movies? If you crossover, do you cross at 80Hz or do you go lower?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I run them full range for 2 channel and for HT have tried running them full range and also crossed to subs at 80 Hz. There isn't much difference but the subs are LFE so now run the F208s full range, even with HT.

12Many

For those with F208's, do you run them full range or do you cross them over with your sub for music and/or movies? If you crossover, do you cross at 80Hz or do you go lower?
In the AVR, I set the crossover to 40 Hz, which is there the 208s start to drop off (-3 db at 31 Hz). I use this for music and movies. I have a dac on the way and this will change once it arrives.

Pio

Forum Donor
60hz works best for the 208's in my setup. I use 80hz for the C208 center, 110 to 120 hz for surround / back and we run 3 subs.

Top Bottom