• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst movie ever?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not seen that. And will avoid like plague .Thanks.
Public Enemies was the John Dillinger story with Depp as Dillinger. It would have been a pretty good movie. They filmed everything with handheld cams and even processed it to look like old film in an attempt to make it look like everything was filmed real time in Dillinger's day. The camera shake was so distracting it took me right out of the story and I could not enjoy it at all. So yes, I'd say avoid it.

aikofan

Nothing comes close to the 1974 Connery disaster, Zardoz.

View attachment 236519

from wikipedia:

Zardoz was released in theaters on February 6, 1974, in Los Angeles and New York. When the film was released, it was immediately met with terrible reviews. Along with the scathing reviews, the public reacted very poorly to the confusing world of Zardoz. According to a Starlog Magazine article on Zardoz "these reviewers (and the general public) failed to understand many of Boorman's analogies and philosophical statements".[21] The confusion caused word of mouth to spread very quickly that Zardoz was not worth watching and soon theaters showcasing the bizarre sci-fi were left practically empty. Moviegoers reported that "when dissatisfied patrons from the previous showing exited the lobby, they would encourage those waiting to leave. Many times they did".[21] This bad reaction caused ticket sales to drop immensely. As Zardoz had a budget of $1.57 million and only made $1.8 million at the box office, it is considered to be a commercial failure. The film was later shown on local TV stations as late-night movie fare.
Zardoz is one of the greatest sci fi movies I’ve ever seen.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Annie Hall, come on, you know that :rolleyes:

JStewart

Forum Donor
27B88E5E-40D9-4A21-A686-91E23ADA1EB8.jpeg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If it made it into theaters, then there was enough of a budget and decent test audience reactions. If it went straight to DVD (nowadays straight to streaming/on-demand), then it likely is terrible.

So depends on your criteria. There are YouTube channels that just react to terrible movies, and it’s fun to watch.
Cannot always tell. I remember watching Kiss the Girls and thinking it was pretty good, but the ending kind of brought the whole experience down.

I later heard interviews with those involved in the movie. The original version departed drastically with the book ending. And that ending caused all test audiences to give an ultimate thumbs down in the last few minutes. They made two more endings. One where the movie people used some of their "creativity" to improve on the book ending. And one based on the book ending. Audiences didn't hate the new creative take as much as the original, but still didn't approve. The test audiences were over 90% about the book ending made into film. Nevertheless they didn't go with the book ending. They valued their creativity too much. Isn't the first time I've heard of movie makers going against test audiences.

BTW, Battlefield Earth had three recognized actors, and a budget of $93 million including $20 million in marketing. Still made it to the screen.

Here is a partial list of awards for various kinds of worsts this film has garnered.

1665454314705.png

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Without a doubt, this 'film', is the worst agglomeration of images ever captured on celluloid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Human_Centipede_(First_Sequence)

I'm warning you now, DO NOT look at the trailer or any clips of that 'film'. You will be sorry if you do. I take no responsibility for the psychological damage that you will incur from viewing any part of it.

After that, any 'film' by Uwe Boll outranks any 'bad film' out there as the worst movie of all time.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While sometimes I do like a particularly bad movie, a single bottom of the list entrant is a tough choice. Some good nominees have been mentioned. I did see a poor one today, Eraser:Reborn....but not sure it's quite up to Motocross Kids otoh.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Worst thing I ever watched… to the point where I would have chewed off a leg to escape:
They Saved Hitler’s Brain

Top Bottom