• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Solved!: Windows 11 update screwed up my audio (faulty ground on the SE output of the HP-amp)

RHO

Major Contributor
I've recently updated my Windows 11 laptop. Never had any problems with it. I hadn't used it for a few days and now I notice that there's a very strange effect going on on all audio played from any SW source (YT, Bandcamp, Spotify, Foobar 2k, ... all of them). It's like all audio is going trough an effects machine making it sound like I'm in a gigantic hall. All voices are pushed back to the point they are barely audible in some cases. There's no bass anymore.

I've switched off all effects in the settings but that doesn't help.
Anyone know how to fix this?

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
It seems to be on USB audio only.
I've installed the latest drivers for my DAC (Topping DX3 pro) but that didn't help.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@RHO go to the Sound Control Panel->DX3 Pro->Properties->Advanced and check if any signal enhancements are enabled there.
Also check if Spatial sound is turned on. In Win10 it's right-click the Speaker symbol in the task bar -> Spatial sound. Not sure where Win11 hides it.

In any case, using ASIO or Wasapi Exclusive should bypass any and all effects.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The easy way is go to updates and remove the last one and set it to a month or two delay so they can fix it with the next one. It won't remove security updates or things like defender virus ones, so safe to do.
Winearo will let you control things as well if windows 11 is really restrictive about putting updates on a delay. I let other people get it first and work out the bugs for a month or two on feature updates. More trouble than they're worth much of the time.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
@RHO go to the Sound Control Panel->DX3 Pro->Properties->Advanced and check if any signal enhancements are enabled there.
Also check if Spatial sound is turned on. In Win10 it's right-click the Speaker symbol in the task bar -> Spatial sound. Not sure where Win11 hides it.

In any case, using ASIO or Wasapi Exclusive should bypass any and all effects.
All effects/enhancements (also spacial audio) are switched off.
Even when using ASIO or WASAPI Exclusive the effect stays the same.

I'm suspecting the DAC itself now.
The easy way is go to updates and remove the last one and set it to a month or two delay so they can fix it with the next one. It won't remove security updates or things like defender virus ones, so safe to do.
Winearo will let you control things as well if windows 11 is really restrictive about putting updates on a delay. I let other people get it first and work out the bugs for a month or two on feature updates. More trouble than they're worth much of the time.
If it turns out it's not the DAC, I'll try turning back the updates. I didn't know it keeps the security updates in place.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It's like all audio is going trough an effects machine making it sound like I'm in a gigantic hall. All voices are pushed back to the point they are barely audible in some cases. There's no bass anymore.
That's similar to a L-R vocal removal effect which removes everything in the "center" (everything that's identical and in-phase in both channels).

That can happen with a broken ground connection (at the analog output). Most commonly, it would be a bad headphone cable/connector.

It's virtually impossible to get that kind of effect "accidently" with software.

...You can test this with a mono file. Or if you have an audio editor (Audacity, etc.) you can make some test files - Mono, left-only, and right-only. If my guess is correct a mono file will come-out silent, and the left & right only files will play through both speakers.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
That's similar to a L-R vocal removal effect which removes everything in the "center" (everything that's identical and in-phase in both channels).

That can happen with a broken ground connection (at the analog output). Most commonly, it would be a bad headphone cable/connector.

It's virtually impossible to get that kind of effect "accidently" with software.

...You can test this with a mono file. Or if you have an audio editor (Audacity, etc.) you can make some test files - Mono, left-only, and right-only. If my guess is correct a mono file will come-out silent, and the left & right only files will play through both speakers.
You are golden!
It turns out to be a bad ground connection from the headphone amp. Only the SE output is affected. I think it's the socket that is worn out a little or my 6.35mm adapter is faulty.

It's a coincidence that this fault turns up just after a Windows update.

Top Bottom