• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choice of a DAC for the second system

nerone

Hi everyone, I need another DAC to use in another system, I already have the E30 topping, now I'm undecided whether to go for the E50 or the E30 II.
What do you suggest?
Thank you very much

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You will have to give us more clues than that!

What's it going to be used for?
What's it going to be connected to?
What features do you require? (e.g. balanced input, remote, display readable from a distance, etc.)
How much do you want to spend?

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With no further information, i would go with something different just to keep things interesting :)

Maybe something like the NX4 DSD, then you have something portable as well..?

OP
N

nerone

it's for a vintage 2.0 system, I have a cd player in both systems, for convenience I like to listen more through Tidal, I don't need the balanced input.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
it's for a vintage 2.0 system, I have a cd player in both systems, for convenience I like to listen more through Tidal, I don't need the balanced input.
You want to run the CD player through the DAC? I read that some Topping stuff has issue with that operation.

OP
N

nerone

No, if I use the cd I do it with the cd player, if I use Tidal streaming I do it with the dac
My first version E30 has no problem

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, if I use the cd I do it with the cd player, if I use Tidal streaming I do it with the dac
My first version E30 has no problem
Then look at the JDS Labs DAC+ for $109 with a 2 year warranty in North America. Just set it and then forget about it. It does everything full auto and requires no baby sitting it for settings and stuff. It has a 10 minute or 20 minute timeout auto shut off too. (Actually 5 minutes .)The round ring at the front illuminates in a powder blue color.

RoyB

Forum Donor
I spent days looking for a DAC for my second system. My main system used a Node2i with a Gustard X16 DAC.....Great reasonable prices combo. In my "office" system I recently went from a Arylic S10 streamer to a WiiM streamer....What a difference! It is Very audible! But for a DAC I bought the Topping E30 II and the Topping DX3 PRO+ ($150 / $200)....I've been listening to the E30 II for a couple days and it is fantastic! The DX3 PRO+ is extremely highly regarded by the YouTube crowd so it will be interesting to hook it up for a few days......I do like that it has a front mounted volume control and a headphone amplifier built in......System Video Here

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW bought a Schiit Modi 3+ to see if it made a difference with the optical disc player's dac....nah, but does allow me to just use digital out of my audio chromecast (which also was fine without). YMMV.

OP
N

nerone

@Roy B Is there so much difference between Wiim in analog and Topping E30II connected to Chromecast audio?
Thank you

Bleib

Major Contributor

RoyB

Forum Donor
Is there so much difference between Wiim in analog and Topping E30II connected to Chromecast audio?
Thank you
I have no experience with Chrome Cast. But using Toslink into the Topping was a dramatic improvement.

OP
N

nerone

I have no experience with Chrome Cast. But using Toslink into the Topping was a dramatic improvement.
So wiim's internal dac is not as good as the Topping E30

Thank you

Top Bottom