• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FREQUENCY RESPONSE AND PERFORMANCE

Georgeadv

Hello,

I am mainly into speakers and from my experience, i understand that the frequency response is directly related with the performance of a speaker-headphone.

A flatter or closer to your reference frequency response the better.

Below is the frequency response of galaxy buds 2 and hifiman xs.

Wouldnt that mean that the buds are better than the hifman which are twice the price and over the ear? This is provided that they both receive the same signal.

Thank guys!

Attachments

• AC325D93-16BA-49D2-81F2-935391390D36.jpeg
    AC325D93-16BA-49D2-81F2-935391390D36.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 114
  • D6F0F668-E32E-47DC-A72E-8F3701065663.jpeg
    D6F0F668-E32E-47DC-A72E-8F3701065663.jpeg
    500.2 KB · Views: 115

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Frequency response is important, but it is not the only factor that determines how a speaker or headphone sounds. Other important factors include sensitivity and distortion. You can have a headphone that measures perfectly to the target but starts to distort at 80dB, and it's going to sound awful in most cases. You can also have headphones that deviate from the target but have low distortion, moderate sensitivity, excellent channel matching, and overall sound great.

It also depends *where* you deviate from the target. In the graphs you posted, the hifiman tracks the target better through the 200-1,000 Hz range, which is the most integral for human hearing. The galaxy buds have a major sag around 700Hz which is going to make them sound awful. It's also a fair bet that they're doing to distort at significantly lower volume levels than the hifiman.

OP
G

Georgeadv

Frequency response is important, but it is not the only factor that determines how a speaker or headphone sounds. Other important factors include sensitivity and distortion. You can have a headphone that measures perfectly to the target but starts to distort at 80dB, and it's going to sound awful in most cases. You can also have headphones that deviate from the target but have low distortion, moderate sensitivity, excellent channel matching, and overall sound great.

It also depends *where* you deviate from the target. In the graphs you posted, the hifiman tracks the target better through the 200-1,000 Hz range, which is the most integral for human hearing. The galaxy buds have a major sag around 500Hz which is going to make them sound awful. It's also a fair bet that they're doing to distort at significantly lower volume levels than the hifiman.
Thank you for your insight.

I have a couple more questions.

1) if the speaker/hp distorts would not that be visible on the freq response graph? If so, that means that the galaxy buds for example do not distort at 90db?
2) how come and such small headphones as the buds go deeper than the over the ear hifiman?

SuicideSquid

Thank you for your insight.

I have a couple more questions.

1) if the speaker/hp distorts would not that be visible on the freq response graph? If so, that means that the galaxy buds for example do not distort at 90db?
2) how come and such small headphones as the buds go deeper than the over the ear hifiman?

Bass response isn't just a function of the size of the driver, it's a function of how loud it's being asked to play and the environment it's playing in. Just like you get more bass out of those hifi man headphones than out of a bookshelf speaker with a 4" driver, you'll often get more bass out of IEMs than headphones, even though the driver is an order of magnitude smaller, because the IEM is inserted into your ear canal and is only an inch away from your eardrum, and your canal is sealed.

Regarding distortion, typically frequency response graphs are made at levels below where distortion shows up, but even if it's made at a level where you might start to measure distortion, FR graphs are almost always smoothed (the ones you posted are), which will hide distortion. Typically distortion is measured a bit differently, as you'll see if you read Amir's headphone and IEM reviews.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wouldnt that mean that the buds are better than the hifman which are twice the price and over the ear?
Those are different technologies and provide different sensation of sound. Ear buds are also very hard to fit in one's ear. Any loss of seal could cause drastic difference in bass response.

Those differences aside, the two measurements both show imperfect execution. Which one sounds better to you would require more careful analysis and listening tests.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

I am mainly into speakers and from my experience, i understand that the frequency response is directly related with the performance of a speaker-headphone.

Wouldnt that mean that the buds are better than the hifman which are twice the price and over the ear? This is provided that they both receive the same signal.

Thank guys!
You can look up Harman preference curve for headphones eg paper by Sean Olive. The headphone curve (frequency response) which a majority (ca 62%) of the people prefer differ from the speaker preference curve as it accounts for the effect of the outer and inner ear (simply speaking).

The website and YouTuber Crinacle has a database which lets you compare many headphones to the various preference curves.

OP
G

Georgeadv

Thank you all for your replies!

i will look into further

OP
G

Georgeadv

Would one technology have an advantage over the other? Leaving outside other parameters like the earbuds fitting in your ears or achieving an optimal seal

SuicideSquid

Would one technology have an advantage over the other? Leaving outside other parameters like the earbuds fitting in your ears or achieving an optimal seal

Both have advantages and disadvantages. IEMs block outside sounds more effectively than headphones (especially open-backed headphones), and tend to be able to provide more accurate frequency response and low distortion at a reasonable price. However, some people find them uncomfortable, and because they're inserted into your ears, they don't provide the same kind of imaging and soundstage as headphones.

Headphones are often harder to drive, and especially on a budget, less accurate, but some people find them more comfortable, they're more suitable for certain uses (for example, sharing with other listeners, or using in a recording studio environment), and they will generally provide better imaging and sound stage.

But these are, of course, just generalities, and will vary based on the device and the listener.

If you want to compare a good set of headphones and a good set of IEMs without breaking the bank, check out the Truthear x Crinacle Zeros which were recently reviewed by Amir. They're $50 USD and they sound incredible. For headphones, AKG's K371 can often be found for well under $150 and provide very balanced sound and decent comfort. A good reasonably priced headphone amp/DAC that will help them sound their best and fits within that price range as well is the Topping DX3 Pro+.

[edit] As an example - I have a set of the Truthear IEMs, as well as a pair of AKG K702 headphones. The Truthear IEMs are unquestionably more accurate even though they cost 1/5th what the AKGs did; however, the AKGs, despite having a less balanced frequency response, have a very wide, open soundstage that makes it feel like the music is all around you when you're listening to a good recording, whereas listening to the Truthears, it just sounds like the music is inside your head. If I'm sitting down on a quiet night at home to listen to music, I definitely reach for the AKGs over the Truthears, but I've been listening with the Truthears a lot when working out, walking, or just using my computer or doing other things. Advantages and disadvantages to both.

Last edited:
OP
G

Georgeadv

Thank you very much!

This is very interesting and helpful.

To be honest, I value imaging and soundstage. Therefore, I believe I will go with over the ears.

I have my eyes on hifiman xs, what do you think? Any better alternative at that price range?

SuicideSquid

Thank you very much!

To be honest, I value imaging and soundstage. Therefore, I believe I will go with over the ears.

I have my eyes on hifiman xs, what do you think? Any better alternative at that price range?
I know those headphones are well-liked. I don't have any personal experience with them though. There are lots of alternatives in that price range - have a look through the reviews database and have a look at Sennheiser, AKG, Focal, etc.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much!

I have a suggestion for you. Depends on your territory but why dont you try the Sennheiser HD560S for overear- very well received and can be had for half the price of the Edition XS. Which gives you plenty left to try some IEMs. The Truthear Zero can be had for around $50 from your local Amazon site.

Im not suggesting either of these is the absolute best $400 can get you- but you can sample very good examples of both types of headphone for not a lot of money. For around $200 all done.

F1308

Major Contributor
Hello,

Thank guys!

In fact you can use some IEMs to actually tune your ears, and for a reduce amount of money.
Let's try without surpassing the US $50 mark, :rolleyes: taxes and delivery included, but of course...:cool:

:):):):)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a suggestion for you. Depends on your territory but why dont you try the Sennheiser HD560S for overear- very well received and can be had for half the price of the Edition XS. Which gives you plenty left to try some IEMs. The Truthear Zero can be had for around $50 from your local Amazon site.

Im not suggesting either of these is the absolute best $400 can get you- but you can sample very good examples of both types of headphone for not a lot of money. For around $200 all done.
^^^ This.

I got both. Can’t go wrong with either one, both are very nice indeed and well measuring. And for fine tuning or personal preference curves, there is always PEQs.

okok

crinacle strikes again: fr is everything: eq is more than everything

OP
G

Georgeadv

Aren’t the XS supposed to be better than HD560S? I dont want to buy something and then left with the feeling that I could have gotten something better for 100-200 euro.

Edit: I looked into the crinacle IEMs and read amir’s review however many other reviewers bush them : / they say the treble is lifeless etc..

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-08 11.24.49.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-08 11.24.49.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2022-10-08 11.24.09.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-08 11.24.09.png
    148.1 KB · Views: 40
OP
G

Georgeadv

Emm xs seems to have better bass but that dib around 3k

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Emm xs seems to have better bass but that dib around 3k
Hence my comment about preferences and willingness to eq. Both will give you "good" performance that can be tweaked to be even better.

Hifiman quality control can be patchy. See the xs thread

OP
G

Georgeadv

Hence my comment about preferences and willingness to eq. Both will give you "good" performance that can be tweaked to be even better.

Hifiman quality control can be patchy. See the xs thread
Is there a way to eq with an iphone as the source?

Top Bottom