• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Prayers for Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Than you for the update. The videos of the aftermath are stunning. I live in tornado county and a lot of the damage looked like a tornado strike,

Keeping you in my thoughts.
Well a Hurricane is basically a Godzilla sized slow moving Tornado right? It’s just supersized. :p

Martini

Forum Donor
A friend of mine lives in Venice (below Sarasota). Watching the radar it looks like they caught the outer eyewall band for some time. Luckily, it was pushing water out to sea, not in. However, they were in a swath that received around 18" of rain. He and his wife are are out of the state, for some family time, and fortunately battened everything down before leaving. Ian wasn't an issue when they left. I don't know if he's received any updates on his property yet, hopefully they fared well. They moved from the Keys a little after surviving Hurricane Irma, which devastated their neighboring Big Pine Key.
Follow-up:
A neighbor of my friend, did a walk-around video of his property. A few small trees pushed over and a lot of fence to repair, but the house was good and had no structural damage. He was surprises that there was no flooding in the neighborhood, as they reported received 18+" of rain. He's survived two large storms now, both while he was away. Guess he's living right - lol.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Sounds like with some luck you'll be up and soaring in days and dang the torpedoZ. Life carries ON.

Yes, tomorrow looks pretty good.

Almost no wind, so the thermals should hang together as they rise.

No rain in the forecast, 20 degree difference between night and day, little to no cloud cover.

1664550872649.png

After the weekend, more yard cleanup. Lots of stuff to drag out to the curb, probably along with a lot that has been put off for a couple of years.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ian is about to come onshore in South Carolina. Flooding is likely in Charleston.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Ian is about to come onshore in South Carolina. Flooding is likely in Charleston.
Terrible, I wish them the best. Let’s hope they get away easy. Fingers crossed!

AdamG

Forum Donor
A collection of video clips from ground Zero during Hurricane IAN. After you watch this, try to convince me why this storm was not a Cat 5? They got this one wrong as heck.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of stuff to drag out to the curb, probably along with a lot that has been put off for a couple of years.
Hehehe. If you have the opportunity now take advantage of it... lol.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A collection of video clips from ground Zero during Hurricane IAN. After you watch this, try to convince me why this storm was not a Cat 5? They got this one wrong as heck.

I'll have crooked V shaped eyebrows for the next hour or so after watching that video. Wow! Natures power... The wind speed across the waves was astounding. I've never before seen this sort of thing.

Martini

Forum Donor
That was pretty disturbing. Prayers for all dealing with significant loss.
- Side note, what's with people not being able to turn their phone landscape when doing video?

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A collection of video clips from ground Zero during Hurricane IAN. After you watch this, try to convince me why this storm was not a Cat 5?
That's just crazy!!!
I remember looking out the front sliding glass doors on Wed-Thur and not seeing the house across the street, and things had diminished quite a bit when it came thru Orlando. Glad to hear you made it OK, good thing you have a home of that construction.
My little place would be non-existent now if it had been subjected to your circumstance.
Now the cleanup begins, I have faith Governor DeSantis with get us all through this. ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's just crazy!!!
I remember looking out the front sliding glass doors on Wed-Thur and not seeing the house across the street, and things had diminished quite a bit when it came thru Orlando. Glad to hear you made it OK, good thing you have a home of that construction.
My little place would be non-existent now if it had been subjected to your circumstance.
Now the cleanup begins, I have faith Governor DeSantis with get us all through this. ;)
I saw pics of a what I think was a trailer court and it was flattened. Could see windows and walls and stuff all flat on the ground over a large area. Looked pretty crazy.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From experience emptying out a flooded house is one miserable chore. I probably threw out things that should have been saved. There are piles of sheetrock all around and the entire street stinks of mold. Scavengers drive by in pickup trucks and take your soggy belongings. Only a few pieces of solid wood and metal furniture survived. We never spent another night in that house. Our cars were saved because one was in the shop and the other at the airport.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I saw pics of a what I think was a trailer court and it was flattened. Could see windows and walls and stuff all flat on the ground over a large area. Looked pretty crazy.
Yea that's some very scary schitt, I hate to even think about it.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Saw this on the news last night. Mind-blowing wind speeds not far above the ground. Taken by a NOAA drone sent into the eyewall.

"Upon release, the uncrewed aircraft deployed its 8-foot wingspan and acquired a center fix on the eye of the hurricane at 4,500 feet. It then dropped to 3,000 feet within the eye to collect temperature, pressure, and moisture values. The crew then directed it into the eyewall where it completed a series of circumnavigations at different altitudes. At less than 2300 feet above the sea surface the UAS recorded winds over 187 kts (216 mph), and at one point even descended to as low as 200 feet."

Link: https://www.aoml.noaa.gov/news/altius-drone-flies-hurricane-ian/

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Theres a poor disillusioned mental institution escapee at 5.45min in, pray for the affected ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea that's some very scary schitt, I hate to even think about it.
The Pine Lake Tornado was a heavy hitter. It destroyed the area around a small lake with trailers parked there. A workmate showed me pics of his body after the tornado caught him out unprotected there and it look pretty bad.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have friend who live(d) on Estero Island. Their house is completely disintegrated. It’s not there at all. Gone!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But they felt it was too late to try to make the drive. They survived but not without significant damage to property and mental state. All through the night I would wake up just to place a foot on the floor/ground to check if the floor was wet. I did this every hour throughout the night. Yesterday as the storm passed us and the winds receded we assessed the damage which was minimal and mostly plants and trees. As the morning arrived I was hit with extreme exhaustion both physically and mentally. I did nothing yesterday except lay around on the couch. I didn’t even log on to see if Brad needed any help. We were both completely tapped. The longest 50+ hours in recent memory.
It is a blessing that you are all physically safe. That mental state though, is brutal and can last a long time. I know it did when our basement flooded. You almost get PTSD from it. Think of happy thoughts and know that you have a ton of support here from the community! The worst is behind you.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have friend who live(d) on Estero Island.
Gosh, I used to go Bird photography there when I lived in Florida! Can't imagine the thought of total loss. Wishing them happier times in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom