• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio TB10D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 74 28.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 136 52.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 30 11.6%

• Total voters

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A bargain, great little amp for a repair bench. You know, to hear if a CD player, streamer, DAC, PC or etc that you have on the bench is putting out line level audio-

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Fosi Audio TB10D stereo amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and is only sale for US $70 on Amazon including shipping.
View attachment 233507

We have the typical compact desktop aluminum case. Controls feel nice for the class. Tone controls are not centered however for flat response (you can see in the picture what I set them to). Typical of these budget amplifiers, power is provided externally through a switching supply:
View attachment 233509

Binding posts are spaced out a bit more which made it easier for me to plug in my large cables.

This is a class D amplifier based on TI TPA3255 single chip amplifier.

Fosi Audio TB10D Measurements
Let's start with our usual 5 watts measurement of 1 kHz tone into 4 ohm load:
View attachment 233510

Dominant distortion is third harmonic which essentially sets SINAD to same level. This is slightly below average but considering the price of this amp, it is reasonable:
View attachment 233511

View attachment 233512

Kind of interesting that the $5,900 Jeff Rowland 535 amplifier lands almost next to it!

Signal to noise ratio is modest but again, good for the class:
View attachment 233513

Crosstalk holds its own against much more expensive amplifiers:
View attachment 233514

Frequency response is variable due to bass and treble control and load dependency:
View attachment 233515

The load dependency is the norm in this class. Hopefully some amp comes along and with no cost penalty takes care of that (by incorporating the output filter into the feedback loop).

Distortion rises with frequency which we can see in multitone test:
View attachment 233516

Power is everything in amplifiers so let's see how much we have:
View attachment 233517

This is quite healthy for such a small and low cost amplifier! It gets even better if we allow 1% distortion:
View attachment 233518

We are talking essentially 200 watts coming out of this little box! Cost per watt is just 35 cents. Amazing.

Even with 8 ohm load we get good amount of juice:
View attachment 233520

Amplifier "transfer function" (output vs input) is very good for class D although it does show rise in distortion as noted earlier:
View attachment 233521

Of note, you still have 66 watts of power at 20 Hz. Many budget amps drop to 20 or so watts which can be problem as bass is what requires power.

Conclusions
Maybe one day this will change for for now, in under $100 range you can't expect perfection in performance of a stereo amplifier. What you do want to see is delivering healthy amount of power with close to our average of all of our amplifiers tested to date. On that front, the Fosi Audio TB10D delivers. If you need an amplifier for secondary use (bedroom, workshop, etc.), the TB10D is a very good candidate for no more money than one or two dinners!

I am going to recommend the Fosi Audio TB10D amplifier.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Amir, nice review but in the last chart, shouldn't it say
Max power 66 watts at 20 Hz (good)
?

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As a side note to my post…from the 1970’s GBC catalogue…we have come a long way…

Attachments

• 5B4AC8E2-DDE4-4A57-99A5-48904AE76AB4.jpeg
    5B4AC8E2-DDE4-4A57-99A5-48904AE76AB4.jpeg
    762.7 KB · Views: 203

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Device "reviewed" by Cheapaudioman some months ago and he absolutely trashed it. Complained about noise and unit sounding bad. Different strokes, I guess but I am still curious to hear comments from users that actually listened to it Here is a link FYI:
Rule #1 is to never listen to reviewers who make money from the items they review.

From his videos:
If you click on this link and sign up for a free trial I will receive a small referral fee.
If you use any of my links to purchase products I will receive a small commission on the sale of that item. Won’t cost you any more to purchase with the link.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Look, for the money and the performance, it's insanely good.

Not remotely SOTA, but more than good enough for a decent rendition of HiFi for a whole lotta people for very little money.

GambaKufu

Device "reviewed" by Andrew Robinson a.k.a. Cheapaudioman some months ago and he absolutely trashed it. Complained about noise and init sounding bad. Different strokes, I guess. Here is a link FYI:

I'm sure quality control can be an issue at this end of the price bracket, and can foresee a situation where a manufacturer sent item is of perfect performance while someone buying from Amazon may have received a dud.

BALKAN_RAKIA

$100 and under amplifiers is my favorite category. This is what is going to bring in the new people to the hobby, not the Benchmark stuff. Also will allow people to spend more of their budget to the stuff that matters the most - speakers and subwoofers. And then after a while the second hand market for these will be basically giving away for free. Get one of these, get some $100 second hand jbl tower speakers - insane gaming setup on the cheap. Gateway drug.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Device "reviewed" by Cheapaudioman some months ago and he absolutely trashed it. Complained about noise and unit sounding bad. Different strokes, I guess but I am still curious to hear comments from users that actually listened to it Here is a link FYI:

Not sure why I should care about his opinion. No measurements and, for that matter, he could have gotten a bad unit.

If we are going to give someone youtube hits, let’s go with someone more credible please!

holbob

Not sure why I should care about his opinion. No measurements and, for that matter, he could have gotten a bad unit.

If we are going to give someone youtube hits, let’s go with someone more credible please!

Someone like Erin perhaps? In fact - Erin did a video with cheapaudioman. It was like watching a chimp throw his own faeces at a professor.

Top Bottom