• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

Haider

Good headphones even when compared to my Sundaras, at £50 they are a bit of a steal, confounded a sceptic. Sound really nice playing from my iPhone, Apple Lightning DAC, Amazon HD been playing the Dali test CDs. I have to try my E1DA 9038d…

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
Comply 500 seem to be the right size, just got my large set in and it’s tight but good fit. It’s stunning how much better IEMs are with a great seal

Last edited:

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just bought these as my first IEM. I recently bought my first headphones, the HiFiMann 400se & Drop/DCA Closed X, all from Amir's recommendations. In the quest of the best possible seal, I tried all the tips and found one that worked well. After fiddling with my headphones for a good seal, as well as trying to loop the IEM wires behind my ears and getting caught up in my hair, I shaved my head. Problem solved, great headphone seal and no more entanglement with wires. How's that for dedication to the cause?
Before After
1663887150277.png
1663886423987.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How's that for dedication to the cause?
It would be if you had shaved the eyebrows to go with it. As it is, you are half committed!!! :D

amper42

Major Contributor
My Zero IEM's arrived today. I was excited to try them based on the review. However, the Zero highs were harsh and didn't fit my taste. I much prefer the $10 Sony MDR-ZX110. They sound great, collapse for easy storage and are amazingly durable. No ear fatigue and great sound - that's what I look for. I use them when working outside or away from home. They are so inexpensive I never cared if I damaged or lost them. But I can't seem to break them even with dirty jobs (chain saw/yard work). :D

My HIFIMAN HE400SE phones also sound great for inside relaxing. Both Sony and HE400SE beat out the Zero IEM by a mile for my ears. I'm glad someone enjoys them - but it's not me.

haris525

My Zero IEM's arrived today. I was excited to try them based on the review. However, the Zero highs were harsh and didn't fit my taste. I much prefer the $10 Sony MDR-ZX110. They sound great, collapse for easy storage and are amazingly durable. No ear fatigue and great sound - that's what I look for. I use them when working outside or away from home. They are so inexpensive I never cared if I damaged or lost them. But I can't seem to break them even with dirty jobs (chain saw/yard work). :D

My HIFIMAN HE400SE phones also sound great for inside relaxing. Both Sony and HE400SE beat out the Zero IEM by a mile for my ears. I'm glad someone enjoys them - but it's not me.
LOL..BRO! did you just compare a open-ear planar to an IEM...LOL....LOL....LOL....LOL....LOL...I think you should be banned just for that comparison! JK :facepalm:

julian_hughes

LOL..BRO! did you just compare a open-ear planar to an IEM...LOL....LOL....LOL....LOL....LOL...I think you should be banned just for that comparison! JK :facepalm:
I think it's fine to compare different listening devices. It wasn't exactly a detailed review but so what? People can express a preference and anyway it's not such an odd comparison. I'm at my desk right now and can choose from HiFiMan Planars, closed back Sennheisers, open backed Koss, multiple IEMs of single/dual/triple driver, some BA, some dynamic. I'm at home and it's quiet and my amp can drive any of these but I'm using an IEM, not an open backed Planar. I made that choice because I am not compelled to use any one type of headphone in each circumstance.

haris525

I think it's fine to compare different listening devices. It wasn't exactly a detailed review but so what? People can express a preference and anyway it's not such an odd comparison. I'm at my desk right now and can choose from HiFiMan Planars, closed back Sennheisers, open backed Koss, multiple IEMs of single/dual/triple driver, some BA, some dynamic. I'm at home and it's quiet and my amp can drive any of these but I'm using an IEM, not an open backed Planar. I made that choice because I am not compelled to use any one type of headphone in each circumstance.
So let me get it straight…you are ok with comparing a Porsche 918 with a Mitsubishi Mirage because they both get you from point a to point b…okie dokie!

julian_hughes

I did not say that, you did. It's a really tedious and particularly inane form of strawman argument, one which says nothing except about you. Also I'm not interested in car analogies. One more for the ignore list. Bye.

haris525

I did not say that, you did. It's a really tedious and particularly inane form of strawman argument, one which says nothing except about you. Also I'm not interested in car analogies. One more for the ignore list. Bye.
Sure! Bye! I just find it absurd to compare oranges and apples even though both are to be eaten, but yes no point in arguing online! It all
comes down to what you enjoy, and I can’t tell you what you should or shouldn’t enjoy or compare!

pjn

Glad that helped! Also with foam tips, once you've put them on the IEMs and just before you insert them in your ear, make sure to roll them between your finger tips to compress them (just like you would with foam ear plugs), then they'll go in easier and deeper, and once they expand back to shape you should get a better seal. Oh and to anyone finding foam tips dampen treble too much, I've had success reducing that by cutting off with e.g. nail scissors the very top of the tips where the foam extends up past the inner plastic bore. I suspect in some narrow or somewhat bendy ear canals (like mine) that top part of the foam gets compressed/pushed partially or fully over the bore opening, and so acts as a high-frequency sound absorber.
Great suggestion - and I don't need to worry about dampened highs - can't hear a thing above about 8.5k which in theory should make my life much easier. Except I still want them to perform well above 10k. There's nothing like self delusion. As is frequently commented on here!

Roger285

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve (and other constrains) with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be therefore more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF and maybe at HF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo, the boosts and preamp gain (loss of Dynamic range) need to be carefully considered to avoid issues with, amongst other things, too low a Max SPL or damaging your device. You have beed warned.
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit. YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
  • I sometimes use variations of the Harman curve for some reasons. See rational here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-5#post-989169
  • https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-6#post-992119
  • NOTE: the score then calculated is not comparable to the scores derived from the default Harman target curve if not otherwise noted.
  • Occluding IE devices generally must have very good fitting/seal in the user's ear canal for best performance.
    please spend a few minutes to pick up the best ear tip... Be sure to perform this step otherwise the FR/Score/EQ presented here are just worthless.
  • 1. more bass = better seal
    2. More isolation from the outside world = better fit
    3. Comfort

Good L/R match.

Might not need an EQ, nevertheless, I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.

Score no EQ: 80.9%
Score with EQ: 96.2%

Code:
TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero Full APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
September142022-145558

Preamp: -3.9 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20.00 Hz Gain 3.88 dB Q 0.90
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 81.44 Hz Gain -2.05 dB Q 1.46
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1205.00 Hz Gain -1.23 dB Q 2.55
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2175.35 Hz Gain -1.65 dB Q 0.85
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4795.73 Hz Gain -2.97 dB Q 2.97
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6699.00 Hz Gain 2.57 dB Q 2.64
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 13229.75 Hz Gain -4.98 dB Q 5.00

View attachment 230828
Thanks for posting the EQ. I loaded it into Roon, and I have to say, it's subtle but I really appreciate how it makes the highs a tad less sibilant.

earlevel

Mine showed up today, a few days earlier than projected. My first IEMs, I didn't have a specific need. I've considered trying IEMs to see if I'd like them for tracking vocals, versus closed back headphones (for less bleed to the mic).

They fit me well (looking back, I see I selected the same tips as Amir). I could probably work out wearing these, assuming its not to the point of sweat being a problem. They do sound great, and certainly for the price these are a bargain. Getting a little breath from kick and bass here and there was a surprise, compared to any earbud type things I've used. Vocals sound nice.

I listened on my iPhone 11, Topping DX7 Pro, and my TASCAM mixer headphone out (for a little singing to music). I jsut got the bright idea to try my new Yamaha P-515 digital piano, with a binaural CFX grand. Everything drove it loud enough—the Topping more than enough.

I also tried out speaker/room (studio) simulation (Waves CLA Nx). Since these didn't require any EQ tweaking to get them flat relative to the modeling, they seemed to work quite well. For instance, while listening to You and Your Friend by Dire Straits, the guitars pull left and right without binaural correction, and of course the voice in the middle of the head. With the room simulation, it has a satisfying sound stage with the IEMs. This leads me to suspect that they'd be a good candidate for mixing, say, on a laptop, or an alternate for checking mixes.

And I think these would be very nice for use on a flight.

:p

Top Bottom