• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Toku

Major Contributor
From what I remember the issue is solved by the "unofficial" V2.45 firmware that is not on the website but supplied directly to the customer.
Think there are a few people on this forum who had this issue and got the V2.45 firmware from John.
Of course, I downloaded Ver2.45 sample firmware and updated it immediately. But nothing improved.
There was no support after that and I returned the D30Pro after all.
The D30 Pro firmware on Topping's HP is still Ver2.44 from before and there is no change after that.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Of course, I downloaded Ver2.45 sample firmware and updated it immediately. But nothing improved.
There was no support after that and I returned the D30Pro after all.
The D30 Pro firmware on Topping's HP is still Ver2.44 from before and there is no change after that.
The latest D30 Pro firmware is actually 2.46

Toku

Major Contributor
The latest D30 Pro firmware is actually 2.46
Thank you for the information.

By the way, are you currently using the D30 Pro?
Can PCM384kHz be played normally?
Please let me know the current situation.

alekksander

i can report that for You over 2.46 firmware i'm currently on if You provide proper files.

Saponetto

PCM384kHz works fine on both D30Pro I currently have in my rigs, one still has the v2.44 as it came out of the box, and the second was recently updated to v2.46.
No issues.

Toku

Major Contributor
PCM384kHz works fine on both D30Pro I currently have in my rigs, one still has the v2.44 as it came out of the box, and the second was recently updated to v2.46.
No issues.
Thank you for your valuable information.
I've posted the same question twice in the past and never got an answer.
So I completely gave up on purchasing the D30Pro again.

Saponetto

@Toku
Sorry for the delay you experienced.
I got my second D30Pro from a colleague who was unable to manage the spdif-coax issue with his cd transports, and this gave me a lot of occasions to test it as a "shuttle" dac between my rigs, with the advantage of being well acquainted with its "sound".
I'm happy with these two bad boys.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
While waiting for the D30 Pro to arrive, how can I check which firmware version is installed on the device?

Thank you very much for your valuable help

alekksander

While waiting for the D30 Pro to arrive, how can I check which firmware version is installed on the device?

Thank you very much for your valuable help
Linux: lsusb -v and look for bcdDevice under Your device. Probably better way is to grep it, but im a noob.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Linux: lsusb -v and look for bcdDevice under Your device. Probably better way is to grep it, but im a noob.
Thanks! Any other method that does not require connecting the DAC to a PC?

alekksander

Thanks! Any other method that does not require connecting the DAC to a PC?

i noticed 2.46 wakes up longer (up to two seconds) from standby, but no reliable way that i know of.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
i noticed 2.46 wakes up longer (up to two seconds) from standby, but no reliable way that i know of.
I hope my copy has the latest version installed. Thanks for the tip.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Using the D30 pro with firmware V2.44 without a single problem for over 18 months now.
I don't see any reason to upgrade to V2.46 even more because it is unknown what it suppose to improve/change.

Don't try to fix something that is not broken..

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
My new combo is here. Topping D30 Pro and A30 Pro. Unfortunately, D30 Pro is defective. Although everything seems OK, screen on, source correctly identified, configuration steps run well… there isn’t any sound out of RCA outputs. No matter which output mode (Pre or DAC) or output channel (RCA or RCA + XLR) I choose. Thanks to my reliable Fiio K5 Pro i‘ve been able to test both units and identify the culprit.
I opened a support ticket wuth the seller. Until the new unit arrives, I am testing the A30 Po with the K5 Pro as DAC.

alekksander

okay so with 2.44 doesn't it wake display to show change in sample freq.? because it does not do that on 2.46 – on this firmware it only show sample change if display is already woke up (showing volume value, not only circled USB notifier)

Last edited:

Saponetto

Neither with 2.44 nor with 2.46.
Never saw the display lit on from L4 status to inform about the sample frequecy change.
Hope I've understood what you mean.

NexusOne

The A30Pro and D30Pro seem to be a good combination. Actually i use the Smsl D6 & SH9. I am very interested in the D30 Pro because of its power. Is it better to change the DAC, too to have everything from one brand or is the D30Pro not necessary and the A30Pro alone makes more sense?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The A30Pro and D30Pro seem to be a good combination. Actually i use the Smsl D6 & SH9. I am very interested in the D30 Pro because of its power. Is it better to change the DAC, too to have everything from one brand or is the D30Pro not necessary and the A30Pro makes more sense?
I have the D/A 30 pro stack which I’m very happy with.

Top Bottom