• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL A180 Tower Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 16.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 121 58.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 48 23.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
a further thought i have: how about we not let something this trivial cause a problem ...it ain't worth it.. and the fallout involved may cause Amir to take up "review time " to police our sorry butts...:)

Erici

Forum Donor
Oh my god I don't think it would take long to type "two six inch woofers" eh? ;) To provide some context, since it's hard to tell sometimes. If it's too time consuming to take out a tape measure, yeah that can be looked up although as I noted manufacturers' dimensions are not always clear.
Well, what other information would you like Amir to include in all of his speaker reviews? Size of the tweeters, overall size of the speakers, colors available, material used for the woofers and tweeters, weight, etc......

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, it does seem like a quick fix with a bit of a tilt.
Maybe an extra .3-.6db/octave from 400 or 500hrz to 20k.
I bet then they would be excellent enough.
That would bring the In room energy trend down to something more mellow.

Or perhaps better to treat the direct response by shelving it down about 3db starting from 300-400hrz to 20k, bringing that into alignment with 87db, leaving a slight bass boost below 200hrz. Essentially making the speaker flat'ish at the 87db mark

Maybe these are the type of speaker, perhaps intended for no toe/straight ahead alignment in a not quite-audiophile type of set-up.
Yes, if I was stuck with these I'd put in a LPF shelf to roll a couple dB from 600Hz to 20kHz. Might take the starch out of all that midband nastiness.

Last edited:

tw 2022

Well, what other information would you like Amir to include in all of his speaker reviews? Size of the tweeters, overall size of the speakers, colors available, material used for the woofers and tweeters, weight, etc......
I guess this is gonna keep going in circles??..

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL Stage 170 are £199 in the UK at the moment from Richersounds (with free VIP membership)...

They have a pair of 5.25" woofers, rather than the 6.5" in the 180's. Still seems like a pretty good deal.

MacCali

Major Contributor
JBL Stage 170 are £199 in the UK at the moment from Richersounds (with free VIP membership)...

They have a pair of 5.25" woofers, rather than the 6.5" in the 180's. Still seems like a pretty good deal.
I think there’s a European deals thread boss, appreciate the post. Keep ‘em coming

bunkbail

Forum Donor
I can't believe I missed the modded crossovers posted by @Dennis Murphy all these months. :mad:
Thank you for the crossovers. This will be my first speakers modding project and will start ordering the parts.

Boggie1688

These speakers are on sale right now, and I know nothing about speakers. I just want to grab a pair for my dad. He currently has some KEF iQ50s which he thinks are great.

Would this be an upgrade? Can a Denon AVR-S750H power them?

I also got him some Martin Logan 15i bookshelf's a few years ago, and I think he found them too bright.

ClassicGuy

Just got them on sale for $120 each. They sound uhm... not good. Dennis's mod next.

Top Bottom