• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Well they arrived, intact and in original cellophane packaging so not a returned item, not including a pic of the sexulised child on the cover as I'll leave that to the likes of zeos the child catcher - I'll give them a listen this afternoon vs my 7hz timeless/dunu vulkans

52364149753_e5f7afe39f_h.jpg

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, so I spent few hours with them. This is my subjective impression:
First track I played was 'trains' by porcupine tree. It sounded dull to me. I had an impression of both top end and mids being not very detailed and flat. After that I played Smash by Patricia Barder. Her voice was sibilant, and i didn't like how double bass sounded. I stopped listening a little disappointed and came back next day. Before I used hifime dying dac. From now on I used meizu Pro 6 as a source. I went for a walk in the woods and played 'Metanoia' album also by Porcupine Tree. It sounded amazing. At times so holographic that I literally couldn't believe im listening to iems. The bass in these iems is to die for. That's the part of the course that makes some of the sounds so 3D. Seriously, guys you need to listen to Metanoia with these. Next I listened to Anouar Brahems 'Improbable day' great tonal balance and dynamics let this track be as striking as played on my loudspeakers. For now I can't listen anymore. Need to spend some quality time with family. I was about to buy DC stealth without rehearsal. Now I question myself. Will need to compare them with this little bargain, and it better sound amazing if I'm going to spend all that money.
Why would they sound bad on some material and amazing on others if they have a neutral sound?

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why would they sound bad on some material and amazing on others if they have a neutral sound?
I don't know. But when I compare Fripp & Eno's "No Pussyfooting" to Diana Krall's "Blue Skies", the first is tinny and flat and the latter is encompassing. Very subjective adjectives... but I don't have the technical chops or lexicon to express it otherwise. My guess is the recording itself, no?

Resolve

Reviewer
Whilst you are obviously correct that the acoustic characteristics of the ear canal, the location of the transducer within it relative to the ear drum and the canal itself, and the degree of occlusion all mean that we can’t treat target compliance alone as solely determinant of tonality, I’m not sure we get to not needing to care about target compliance as much. If I understand the Harman research correctly then the research produced a probability on preference with these factors as unknown variables, in other words the variability of anatomy is priced in to the model. Unless we have the ability to quantify these variables (which end users don’t) then target compliance becomes the only objectively valid variable on likely preference that we have. As you say it’s not the beginning and end of variables that we should care about, but it is the only known one available to us.
And I don't think there's anything wrong with using it that way and having it help guide otherwise blind choices.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While I am pretty satisfied with my HD660S, for meetings / video calls I do prefer IEMs most of the time.
With IEMs I had to come up with a monitoring solution for my voice using Voicemeeter. Didn't really like it. My solution to that was a shotgun mic (Videomic NTG) on an arm (also from Rode) and keeping the speakers behind quieter. Much more natural that way.

Last edited:

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Please help me guys! Moondrop Chu, as it happens. First time iem user.
Can't actually get the tips onto the "speaker". Any tips on softening the rubber collar or anything? These clumsy fingers are threatening to destroy the earphone, before I have got round to trying them out! :oops:

USER

Forum Donor
To add to the thoughts. I just got them. They are solid! All my speakers are Revel and my NAD HP-50s (which were tested here) are EQed more or less to the Harman curve. Nothing about these makes them stick out from what I am used to. As it's impossible to AB at this point I can't tell you about minutiae differences tone-wise and that's fine! I don't see any disagreement with Amir's measurements. Ideally the measurements speak for themselves. Also, I think that they have pretty darn good "soundstage" for IEMs. There is separation of instruments/sounds. It's not that bad and I think the issue is overblown as the illusion of it--albeit more constricted--is still there. Sure they aren't like speakers or higher quality headphones but there is definitely a place of IEMs. (Now I have to compare them to my Etymonic ER2SEs--which I like.) I tried out the Malky79 EQ and I think that it makes them a bit smoother. It's not a dramatic difference but I think I will stick with it when I have the ability to EQ. Nonetheless it is great to have something super portable that does not require EQ. Would I use them over my NAD HP-50s? No. Upon a quick comparison the NADs sound feels a bit less strained --and, yes, the soundstage is wider; but then Amir thought the NADs were above average in that respect.

Importantly, they pass my bass test, which consists of the following:

Massive Attack - Angel: Representative of what I want bass to do well. If it can't make this sound good, I don't want it.

Laurie Anderson - My Right Eye: This is my test to hear bass quality. Before DSP, my speakers could not handle this track well as they would sound super bloaty. I think my NADs can handle this better, but the bass output is higher proportionally on the Zeros. This is not the fault of the latter as the NADs were EQ'ed. Still, these IEMs can handle it.

Billie Eilish - Bad Guy: Not really my music, but a great example of modern use of bass, which is so very different than music of the past. Here the bass is at the limits of what I like. Don't know if I'd want more bass than what these offer. That's a win in my book.

Critique:

I agree with others that the stem that goes into the canal may be too thick for people with smaller ears. I can see some women finding this uncomfortable.

And speaking of which, yeah, the whole Waifu thing is embarrassing. I hope the makers of these headphones see the sales potential that they have on their hands. Don't blow it! These should compete with the establishment such as JBL, Samsung, Apple, and AKG. Obviously, they are now distinguishing themselves with advanced tech such as noise reduction and EQ--rightly--but this is still an opportunity.

Case in point: I have an adult female friend that asked for headphone and IEM recommendations. I would certainly bring these up but I am not looking forward to having to embarrassingly explain the whole incel vibe of IEM culture.

levimax

Major Contributor
Impulse ordered after reading review. I listen to music almost exclusively with speakers (full range plus subs) and while I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 and a dedicated headphone amp I seldom use them and don't really find it a great experience. They showed up and I set them up for a good seal and spent some time listening to some of my favorite tracks and am very impressed. I never though bass could sound so good with IEM or headphones and the rest of the frequency range sounds great to. While the two things I don't like about any headphone or IEM, which are the strange imaging effects and the discomfort of having something on or in my ears is still present, the sound quality is so compelling I will be spending some time getting used to these. Thank @amirm for the review and recommendation.

nothingman

I have an adult female friend that asked for headphone and IEM recommendations. I would certainly bring these up but I am not looking forward to having to embarrassingly explain the whole incel vibe of IEM culture.

I gather this is a thing? Like, Moondrop or others package with these infantalized women / pedophile anime images as well?

The packaging is awful and if I had any idea it was going to arrive like it did I might have passed. I purposely picked what I thought was the totally normal version from Amazon, compared to the one with the clear waifu anime packaging for $5 extra. I have a wife and two young daughters and this stuff has no place in my home. Still it had the cover image on the outside and inside of the box, including a dumb little stand in case I wanted to display it.

There’s no defending this stuff, as some have done earlier in the thread comparing it to packaging with Mickey Mouse or Spiderman on it. This is not an East vs. West cultural relativism thing. It’s clearly sexualized children or infantilized women. Take your pick, I guess. It has zero context or story attached to it, it’s completely out of place, and yeah, it makes us look like a bunch of 20 year old boys who spend too much time online. I don’t get why any business would put these images on a serious engineering effort.

Feelas

I don't know. But when I compare Fripp & Eno's "No Pussyfooting" to Diana Krall's "Blue Skies", the first is tinny and flat and the latter is encompassing. Very subjective adjectives... but I don't have the technical chops or lexicon to express it otherwise. My guess is the recording itself, no?
Seems like Diana Krall is pussyfooting too much. Raw production is truth.

asrUser

Well they arrived, intact and in original cellophane packaging so not a returned item, not including a pic of the sexulised child on the cover as I'll leave that to the likes of zeos the child catcher
People often deny it, but in reality they like it. ;)

Btw. Crinacle made a waifu tier list once :D

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I gather this is a thing? Like, Moondrop or others package with these infantalized women / pedophile anime images as well?

The packaging is awful and if I had any idea it was going to arrive like it did I might have passed. I purposely picked what I thought was the totally normal version from Amazon, compared to the one with the clear waifu anime packaging for $5 extra. I have a wife and two young daughters and this stuff has no place in my home. Still it had the cover image on the outside and inside of the box, including a dumb little stand in case I wanted to display it.

There’s no defending this stuff, as some have done earlier in the thread comparing it to packaging with Mickey Mouse or Spiderman on it. This is not an East vs. West cultural relativism thing. It’s clearly sexualized children or infantilized women. Take your pick, I guess. It has zero context or story attached to it, it’s completely out of place, and yeah, it makes us look like a bunch of 20 year old boys who spend too much time online. I don’t get why any business would put these images on a serious engineering effort.
Obviously you are not the target market :)

DanielT

Major Contributor
I'll probably have to show the lady at the mail delivery point that it's IEM I'm picking up. We usually flirt a bit with each other when I pick up packages. I don't want to burn my possible chances with her by making her think I'm some kind of pervert.:oops:

This seems interesting::)

Tailored earplugs for better sound

Shaped specifically for your ear
Here, a niche has popped up to manufacture earbuds tailored just for your ears. The result should both provide a perfect fit on the earbuds and better music sound if the manufacturers are to be believed.
There are different ways to accomplish this, but the principle is that you somehow get your ear canal measured, and then a plug is made to match it. There are several manufacturers that mold the ears with silicone, but we try Ilicon,
which 3D scans the ear canals and prints plugs with a 3D printer.

Probably costs a lot. I don't know if it's worth it, maybe.:)

oron_man_3.jpg
oron_man_2.jpg
oronproppar.jpg

Edit:
Maybe it's not possible to tailor tips like that to TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero? I know I know nothing about that. But I thought it sounded exciting. Base leakage is minimal and they are comfortable to use, to have in the ears (according to the manufacturer should be added).:)

Last edited:

nothingman

Obviously you are not the target market :)

I don’t get it. That couldn’t be further from the truth.

I’m fairly young, I’m an audio and electronics enthusiast with above average expendable income, and I pay attention to stuff like frequency response graphs. I’m exactly who any headphone manufacturer expects their customer to look like, which is why literally none of them do this except for a weird subset. It’s also why it’s so out of place, as evidenced by it even being a point of discussion here that detracts from the product.

More to the point, whichever demographic this imagine does target shouldn’t be catered to in this context.

asrUser

I’m fairly young, I’m an audio and electronics enthusiast with above average expendable income, and I pay attention to stuff like frequency response graphs. I’m exactly who any headphone manufacturer expects their customer to look like, which is why literally none of them do this except for a weird subset. It’s also why it’s so out of place, as evidenced by it even being a point of discussion here that detracts from the product.
It it sells better, they just do it. Marketing doesn't care if it's cringy for you or others.

Top Bottom