• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what is your definitive and dream speaker that you would have?

usersky

Forum Donor
I am a totally reasonable guy, i dream about a KEF R3. It will be here the day after tomorrow. I'll be back with my next totally reasonable dream by monday.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I was going to write something similar. No exaggeration, they're not that expensive. Kef Muon - these are very expensive loudspeakers from the Kef company.
PS Is Muon not the flagship of Kef?
Not anymore. Blade Meta is the poster girl for KEF as of now.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Very nice! When did you get the VOT Altecs?
Not mine. Those are Gary Kaufman's. They are, to my ears and taste. Faultless. I could afford a pair, but I literally couldn't get them into my hifi room without deconstructing and reconstructing. Plus, i'd have to find all the bits and pieces... bottom line, it ain't a-gonna happen (as a one-time boss of mine used to say, more than occasionally).

My Frankenaltecs are, shall we say,VOT-esque. They - ahem - use simple ported enclosures designed for the 604 Duplex. They way I figure it, a 604's woofer is essentially a 515B so, Bob's your uncle, I did the swap a while back. Oh, and much simpler (and cheaper!) horns, with 2" throat JBL treble drivers rather than the 1.4 inch 288s.
I would rather have 1505s and 288s, but, again... ain't a-gonna happen.

AwesomeSauce2015

For a realistic room: JBL M2 LCR + multiple 18 or 21" subs - with the 708 as surrounds.. Add about 15kw of DSP amps and a trinnov processor and you've got my end goal.
If I had enough money to build a big room: Custom unity horn system with 2x18" bass, 4x8" mid, and whatever's better than the JBL D2430k --- per speaker. For subs: as many 21" as my power service will allow.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
KEF Blade Metas

822kef.promo_.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Dream?

Au6yBvp.jpg

Nightmare?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
No but i know the Focal sound very well so there's no way they would suck

Haha. I have ... and they certainly don't.

*Australian dollars ... bargain, shame about interest rates though :) interesting commentary on our economy, last time a pair appeared in the secondhand section—at a higher price—they were gone within days, these have been there for a few weeks now.

Last edited:

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For a realistic room: JBL M2 LCR + multiple 18 or 21" subs - with the 708 as surrounds.. Add about 15kw of DSP amps and a trinnov processor and you've got my end goal.
If I had enough money to build a big room: Custom unity horn system with 2x18" bass, 4x8" mid, and whatever's better than the JBL D2430k --- per speaker. For subs: as many 21" as my power service will allow.
As for your realistic room, you just described my cinema room in the future :)
But why 15 kw? Have you thought about the 708 passive? I will be thinking about 705 or 708 as surrounds, but active version.

Last edited:

Aerith Gainsborough

Visually: Focal Utopia/Sopra.

Sound: I'd first need to find actual faults in my current system's performance to aspire to a "dream speaker". I heard the Utopia once, didn't sound much different than my current setup (except for being able to get a lot louder, which isn't useful as an apartment dweller).

HeadDoc12

I'm all over the place with this one. Part of me actually would pick the KEF LS60s because they suit my needs perfectly, and I might not miss those lowest bass notes too much in the tradeoff for convenience. But, since we're fantasizing, I also might go with Blade Metas, top of the line Focal, or even something from Von Schweikert: their new(ish) Ultra line seems - on paper anyway - to be very measurement focused, and very much state-of-the-art as far as passive speakers go, AND they are kinda sorta omni-directional, with tweeters in the back as well as up front!

AwesomeSauce2015

As for your realistic room, you just described my cinema room in the future :)
But why 15 kw? Have you thought about the 708 passive? I will be thinking about 705 or 708 as surrounds, but active version.
Headroom, and that includes the sub amps.
Each 18"/21" sub would probably have about 2kw of amp power, and I would have multiple subs to get ULF + even response. That's 8-10kw right there. Add 3 M2 and 10+ 708i, and you're looking at some serious power.
The 708 surrounds would be passive, but driven by the approved harman stuff (crown / bss whatever).
The reasoning why I want passive is that if I had active speakers, and the amp died, I would be out of luck. With passive, I can simply swap the amps out without having to unmount the speakers. Also, I would be able to have a separate room with the amp rack, which would simplify the installation. I would also only have to run 1 or 2 sets of high-level wires to each speaker, rather than power and low-level signal.

tomchris

I am partial to tall speakers meaning floor to ceiling.

So, if money and space were not a problem, then the tall order try-out list - in no particular order - would be something like:

Dunlavy SC-VI
Apogee Full-Range
Apogee Diva
Martin Logan Statement
Martin Logan Statement e2
Cello Audio Stradivari Grand Master

If I had to choose an attainable dream speaker that I do know, I would choose the Quad ESL-63 with Gradient subwoofer.
IMG_7249_1800x1349.jpg

Adi777

sub amps.
Oh, yes, I forget about amps for subwoofers, and you think also about 708i passive speakers :)
To my list of speakers that I would like to hear, I am adding these models, they look interesting:
2019-12-19_105039.jpg

oscara212_carmine_front_01hr.jpg

horn1_white-blue_metallic_02_cutfree_hr.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom