• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

English tears [passing of Queen Elizabeth II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSmith

Master Contributor
our English friends
Maybe you forget, even with the thread title, QEII was also the Monarch of all Countries in the Commonwealth Realm, some symbolic now others not;

1662704065580.png

I don't have much time for Monarchies by definition, however always had much respect for Elizabeth Windsor as an individual person, rather than her capacity as Queen.

JSmith

okok

isn't that Americans hate those royal stuff very much?
why not just cancel it

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As much as Monarchy may be outdated, if there is to be a separation between Head of State and Head of Government, I much prefer the permanence of the House of Windsor to a superannuated ex politician being elevated to Head of State as seems to happen in other countries with a ceremonial Head of State.

S

evam1

Fromm Brasil with love

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1662711651635.jpg
    FB_IMG_1662711651635.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 61

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Very affected here in Australia. She's on every coin. We grew up hearing and singing the national anthem which was God Save the Queen on the radio in class every day. When she came to Australia, people came from everywhere to cheer her.

A gorgeous lady and Charles will be a wonderful king. When Charles III visits Australia, I will be there to cheer him and his wife along with likely millions of others.

scan671.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Don't forget the $5 note mate... ;)

five-dollar-note.jpg

five-dollar-note-ngb.jpg

JSmith

Funny you say that. I went to my wallet before my previous post and looked at the notes- no Queen.

The first serious piece of money I found was a $5 note in the very early 1970s (paper) with Caroline Chisholm on one side and Joseph Banks on the other. It was so much money, may parents were shocked I found it blown up against a tree in a Canberra park. I think I was about 5 or 6yo, so around 1971/2...

1662718474565.png

1662718537863.png

Graham849

Forum Donor

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Maybe you forget, even with the thread title, QEII was also the Monarch of all Countries in the Commonwealth Realm, some symbolic now others not;

Not to mention that she was of German descent...:oops:

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm old enough (just) to remember George VI and Elizabeth's ascension to the Throne in 1952. I remember in grade 2 decorating the classroom with our artwork in celebration of her coronation. I remember seeing the ceremony on TV here in Canada. There was no direct link here from the UK: cine film reels were flown here by British military jet from "across the pond" so we could see the ceremony as soon as was possible in those days.

My memory is vague but I'm pretty sure I saw the Queen in person when she was still Princess in Montreal in 1951. I recall I seeing her again "in the flesh" in that city on her visit to Canada in 1957 as Queen, and glimpsed her again there in 1964.

She was the longest reigning British Monarch and doubtless the most respected since Victoria, perhaps more so than Victoria. Britain and the world are unlikely to see her like again. As that may be, my best wishes to King Charles III.

Last edited:

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From a political science point-of-view, a constitutional monarch may be view legitimately as exactly the same as a president in a so-called "parliamentary" system -- which is, of course, different than a president in "presidential" system.

In a parliamentary system, a monarch or a president are both mainly figureheads with (almost) no real power. To that limited extend it doesn't matter to a country whether they have a Monarchy or a President. However in the case of Britain and some other countries, history justifies a monarchy as it seems to me.

In one's mind, one ought to retain a separation between the Monarch as head-of-state and he/she as an individual. He/she may function perfectly well as the latter, while having minor flaws as an individual; more so for members of the Monarch's family.

It would be far more trouble than it's worth, IMHO, for Britain to attempt to transition from a Monarch to at President. Who might be President? Elton John maybe? Why not? Like I say, not worth the trouble.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
From a political science point-of-view, a constitutional monarch may be view legitimately as exactly the same as a president in a so-called "parliamentary" system -- which is, of course, different than a president in "presidential" system.

In a parliamentary system, a monarch or a president are both mainly figureheads with (almost) no real power. To that limited extend it doesn't matter to a country whether they have a Monarchy or a President. However in the case of Britain and some other countries, history justifies a monarchy as it seems to me.

In one's mind, one ought to retain a separation between the Monarch as head-of-state and he/she as an individual. He/she may function perfectly well as the latter, while having minor flaws as an individual; more so for members of the Monarch's family.

It would be far more trouble than it's worth, IMHO, for Britain to attempt to transition from a Monarch to at President. Who might be President? Elton John maybe? Why not? Like I say, not worth the trouble.

Big difference, its much more easy to remember the Queen, than the last ten Bundespräsident's. And iam german.
Dont be scared iam not a german monarchist, Just think english people feel to the Queen is very different than german people feel to a Bundespräsident.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Last edited by a moderator:

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Big difference, its much more easy to remember the Queen, than the last ten Bundespräsident's. And iam german.
Dont be scared iam not a german monarchist, Just think english people feel to the Queen is very different than german people feel to a Bundespräsident.
Excellent point and a damned good reason to retain the Monarchy -- at least in Britain.

Bring back the Hohenzollerns? Humm ...

220px-Wilhelm_II._1905.jpeg

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Excellent point and a damned good reason to retain the Monarchy -- at least in Britain.

Bring back the Hohenzollerns? Humm ...

220px-Wilhelm_II._1905.jpeg

Hehe not a fan of monarchys, just liked to point to differences. Btw. she looked muuuuch better then he. ;)

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the life of me,why do people worship/celebrate the worst of humanity,because that's what monarchies are.The conniving offspring who killed/exploited millions of people worldwide in the name of power/greed for almost 1000 years.Abolish them all I say.Did you know the aristocracy still owns about HALF the land in the UK.The historical violent land enclosures that led to most of the populace becoming landless and fed into the filthy cities and servitude in the Industrial Age.People have forgotten that almost everyone had land....but no people just repeat the Royal propaganda.Funny that,Britons went from having sheep to becoming them!
What crass silliness.

Perhaps you're unaware that throughout the period of British colonial expansion, Parliament, not the King or Queen set British colonial and imperial policy. Parliament was then comprised of the (upper) middle class, not the Monarchy, much less the monarchs in person. Likewise the monarchs as individuals had little to do with the enclosures which were undertake by the lower aristocracy, a.k.a. gentry, as well as by the nobility proper.

It's foolish scapegoating and gross anachronism to blame the British Monarchy, much less the Queen or her successor, Charles III, for excesses of British history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom