• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Clear Professional Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 51 25.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 97 48.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 24 11.9%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't get the comment in Amir's review that the channel balance was bad - in fact the channel balance looks very good from his graph, apart from above 10kHz where the response is less predicatable anyway (& certainly if not averaging multiple measurements):
index.php

My other thoughts on the headphone, seems overpriced: some dodgy peakiness at 6kHz that is hard to EQ out, and of course the clipping bass issue. Certainly not the best of headphones for the money judging by measurements.

Dro

This headphone came out before the Harman target craze. For a dynamic driver, it delivers quite a good amount of lower bass, without sounding boomy or muddy. The treble has some funny peaks, but subjectively most people did not take offense. Compare that to the older generation of high-end open dynamic headphones like the HD650, HD800, DT880 etc. and it is a big step up. There were no cheap HD560S or K361/371 headphones with good Harman tracking and no reference DCA Stealth when the Clear came out.

The fact that the bass clips at levels that are far from hearing safe is a non-issue.

TNT

"Conclusions

I personally would not choose or recommend"

Is this conclusion personal in a way that the other reviews are not?

//

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This headphone came out before the Harman target craze. For a dynamic driver, it delivers quite a good amount of lower bass, without sounding boomy or muddy. The treble has some funny peaks, but subjectively most people did not take offense. Compare that to the older generation of high-end open dynamic headphones like the HD650, HD800, DT880 etc. and it is a big step up. There were no cheap HD560S or K361/371 headphones with good Harman tracking and no reference DCA Stealth when the Clear came out.

The fact that the bass clips at levels that are far from hearing safe is a non-issue.
It is debateable whether this a step up at all (let alone a big one) over the HD650/HD600 given the spikey treble, less accurate mids, and clippable bass, but it's true it has greater bass extension without EQ than HD650/600.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"Conclusions

I personally would not choose or recommend"

Is this conclusion personal in a way that the other reviews are not?

//
It is a "softening" word aimed and reducing grief toward my recommendation. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't get the comment in Amir's review that the channel balance was bad - in fact the channel balance looks very good from his graph, apart from above 10kHz where the response is less predicatable anyway (& certainly if not averaging multiple measurements):
Initial measurements showed 3 dB channel imbalance. I then put fair bit of pressure on the one cup to reduce that (by hand) and then took that measurement (after letting go). So the graph doesn't represent the normal headband pressure.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Initial measurements showed 3 dB channel imbalance. I then put fair bit of pressure on the one cup to reduce that (by hand) and then took that measurement (after letting go). So the graph doesn't represent the normal headband pressure.
Ah, I see, it's probably difficult to choose which measurement to show, perhaps the other measurements showing the channel imbalance had other issues that weren't representative......but either way it's good to get clarification on the dodgy channel imbalance and to know that it was there.

PeteL

Major Contributor
It is debateable whether this a step up at all (let alone a big one) over the HD650/HD600 given the spikey treble, less accurate mids, and clippable bass, but it's true it has greater bass extension without EQ than HD650/600.
Debateable maybe, I don't have the clear but really the Elex is quite close both in measured and AB listening comparison , and to me this is yes a night and day difference. Quite honestly, this "serie" to my knowledge was pretty much the first time we started to see some decent bass extension on a dynamic easy to drive open back set. No really it was like ohh... finally... some bottom.... And ahh... Yes, I can just plug that in my laptop 3.5 mm and it sounds sweet! And even in general clarity, It was pretty obvious to me a 650 sounded more muted and less dynamic, less engaging. Maybe just my perception and OK I admit I am talking Non-EQed, there are tons of cases where this is called for to not have a decent amp and EQ is not immediately convenient, relevent or even possible. No it's not a perfect tonality but really good enough often and giving the few parameter I enumerate... Hard to beat on some of those considerations. Yes some are better at 1 or 2 things, but as an all rounder?...Opinion here not hard facts... And well... It was 5-6 years ago, in this market it seams almost ancient... Now of course closed backs had the bass sorted out with much more impact, and Planar could have even better fidelity but with a big amp... you win some you lose some but this is very good stuff to me really.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
It is Indeed quite a "loose fitting" headphone I have a fairly small head (no pun please) and I could see that proper or even "seal" could be a challenge. In case it's not clear by now, the Elex which I own is mechanically the same Industrial design.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had 2 days with this can “to ensure no defects” under the false pretense that what I received was “MG” and not the original Pro I sent them to Amir under that same false pretense. But… in those 2 days, what shocked me was the midrange, it blew me away honestly. My main cans are LCD-X, my travel cans are LCD-2 Closed. Those other headphones are great, but my god the vocal performance of the Clear was gob smacking.

DonR

Major Contributor
I had 2 days with this can “to ensure no defects” under the false pretense that what I received was “MG” and not the original Pro I sent them to Amir under that same false pretense. But… in those 2 days, what shocked me was the midrange, it blew me away honestly. My main cans are LCD-X, my travel cans are LCD-2 Closed. Those other headphones are great, but my god the vocal performance of the Clear was gob smacking.
Did you experience any of the crackles that @amirm did?

Dro

I only experienced funny stuff when measuring at 114 dB SPL.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
You bought TEN Focal Clears and returned them? Interesting strategy.
I was actually told that with a new batch it was fixed and recieved a new one that didn't crackle. Who knows how true that is though. I did have a couple that I thought didn't crackle. But found a couple songs that did cause it to crackle a bit and returned it promptly. Headphones.com has a great return policy, 365 days. If anyone wants a clear I suggest getting it through them

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The disappointment came from any attempt to push the headphone during bass heavy tracks. The drivers created nasty crackling sound forcing me to turn the volume down
@amirm
I'm still surprised by this recurrent issue, since I don't experience it with my Elegia.

So I'd like to try to reproduce it.

In what circumstances does this occur ?
Is that only with specific tracks ?
If yes, which tracks ?

At what kind of level is it happening ?
We have the sensitivity and we may know the power coming out of the RME by deduction from its output level and the headphones impedance.

The Elegia was tested here, so I think we have enoigh details on this side.

Last edited:

ShiZo

Forum Donor
@amirm
I'm still surprised by this recurrent issue, since I don't experience it with my Elegia.

Is the only with specific tracks ?
If yes, which tracks ?

At what kind of level is it happening ?
We have the sensitivity and we may know the power coming out of the RME by deduction from its output level and the headphones impedance.

The Elegia was tested here, so I think we have enoigh details on this side.
Yeah, my elegia doesn't crackle at all either

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm

Is the only with specific tracks ?
If yes, which tracks ?
This track is a sure thing to make it happen:

On RME ADI-2 Pro, I recall the level being around -10 dB on the volume control. I got it to happen with and without EQ but it is far worse with the former.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And keep in mind that I use that track on every headphone and speaker I test. So when I say it is pretty unique to this headphone, you can take it the bank. It is not some random track I only used for this headphone.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This track is a sure thing to make it happen:

On RME ADI-2 Pro, I recall the level being around -10 dB on the volume control. I got it to happen with and without EQ but it is far worse with the former.

I remember, in the Elegia review, you posted your track list.

I was wondering if that was still the same tracklist.

With some of those tracks, I have heavy distortion... with one of my Genelec 1032A (which could do with glueing back the cone of the woofer) !

I'll give this track you shared now a try (from Qobuz, if available.)

EDIT: It's not available on Qobuz, unfortunately. There are several albums from the same, but not this one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom