• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management?

Tom Schneider

My short term solution (or maybe long term) is an Emotiva BasX TA1 that has a 90Hz crossover that takes the low frequency burden from my LS50 Metas and sends it to my KS62 sub. The new BasX TA2 has an adjustable cross-over and also more power so that may be an option.

BTW I use the TA1 as a preamp only as I have Boxem Arthur 4215 that drives my KEFs.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sonos AMP seems to fit all of the requirements.

The requirements are:
  1. A one unit solution as in "integrated" ✅
  2. Good amplification suitable for Hi-Fi usage ✅ Amir's review
  3. Physical (continues) volume control and not depending on an app to use it. ✅ It has learning functionality for use with any IR remote control. It has buttons on the front for volume control.It does not have a physical volume knob, but the bonus feature of small size and use in confined spaces, is the forte of this product.
  4. At least one analogue input ✅
  5. Integrated crossover to use with a subwoofer ✅
  6. At least one analogue subwoofer output ✅
  7. Adjustable subwoofer crossover frequency. ✅
  8. Cost no more than US$1000 or thereabouts ✅
  9. Available to the UK (i.e. on sale in the UK as new.) ✅
Bonus features:
  1. Small size as they will be used with small speakers which are often used in confined spaces. ✅
  2. Adjustable subwoofer crossover slope ❌
  3. Wireless streaming ✅ probably best in class
  4. Roon endpoint ✅

bloomdido

I'm a bit late to this thread and am really surprised such a natural request - have some box that will drive speakers (mass product category, lots of options large and small, cheap and expensive) and also send mono signal to a powered sub (mass product category again with lots of options) and do both of these tasks optimally (subs playing bass and speakers only playing frequencies they're good at) - is met with such misunderstanding.

I'm waiting when my order of this one arrives: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005002790321194.html
- and I'm not sure it has high-pass to mains but it definitely has low-pass to passive sub. Why I'm writing this? I've seen several similar models on Aliexpress provided by those less established Chinese brands (Aiyima most known among them) so it seems Chinese manufacturers and customers at least partially understand the whole idea of a 2.1 configuration. There's even a plate amp for 2.1 setups with passive sub with a built-in DSP configurable through USB connection and including Bluetooth, Airplay, Tidal and some other streaming services support! Could it be that Western Hi-Fi market is a bit too conservative while less established Eastern markets like mainland Chinese are more open to applying new technologies? If it's true that will be very interesting to watch.

bloomdido

I'd be shocked if this thing had a high pass filter.
When I ordered it I was sort of sure it had because the model is so clearly for 2.1 applications. But after reading this thread and recollecting one of the amps I used before (Cambridge CXA80) had low pass to mono sub out only I realized I should not be so sure. This Aiyima is stuck in shipping right now but when/if it arrives I'll report if it has high pass filter.

dshreter

When I ordered it I was sort of sure it had because the model is so clearly for 2.1 applications. But after reading this thread and recollecting one of the amps I used before (Cambridge CXA80) had low pass to mono sub out only I realized I should not be so sure. This Aiyima is stuck in shipping right now but when/if it arrives I'll report if it has high pass filter.
A sub out does not necessarily mean low pass. Most subs have their own low pass and are designed to accept a full range signal. Low pass in the amp is really most useful if it also has a high pass to the mains.

bloomdido

A sub out does not necessarily mean low pass. Most subs have their own low pass and are designed to accept a full range signal. Low pass in the amp is really most useful if it also has a high pass to the mains.
In the cases I mentioned LPF is clearly present:
Cambridge CXA80: LPF for mono sub out - stated in documentation (200 Hz cutoff) and confirmed by myself but no HPF applied for main speaker outputs/preamp cirquit/whatever.
Aiyima: has both sub frequency and sub volume knobs but I'm not sure HPF is applied to main outputs. In this case the sub out is for passive subs i.e. has its separate amplification.

dshreter

In the cases I mentioned LPF is clearly present:
Cambridge CXA80: LPF for mono sub out - stated in documentation (200 Hz cutoff) and confirmed by myself but no HPF applied for main speaker outputs/preamp cirquit/whatever.
Aiyima: has both sub frequency and sub volume knobs but I'm not sure HPF is applied to main outputs. In this case the sub out is for passive subs i.e. has its separate amplification.
Interesting product, it’s very rare to see an amp designed for passive subs.

bloomdido

Interesting product, it’s very rare to see an amp designed for passive subs.
I'm not even sure I've ever seen a passive sub sold by any brand. But DIY hobbyists build passive subs quite often (one of the simpler projects one could do in audio DIY) and for them such an amp makes perfect sense, I was searching for such amp to use a passive DIY subwoofer built by my father.

H-RYCAJ

Sonos AMP seems to fit all of the requirements.

The requirements are:
  1. A one unit solution as in "integrated" ✅
  2. Good amplification suitable for Hi-Fi usage ✅ Amir's review
  3. Physical (continues) volume control and not depending on an app to use it. ✅ It has learning functionality for use with any IR remote control. It has buttons on the front for volume control.It does not have a physical volume knob, but the bonus feature of small size and use in confined spaces, is the forte of this product.
  4. At least one analogue input ✅
  5. Integrated crossover to use with a subwoofer ✅
  6. At least one analogue subwoofer output ✅
  7. Adjustable subwoofer crossover frequency. ✅
  8. Cost no more than US$1000 or thereabouts ✅
  9. Available to the UK (i.e. on sale in the UK as new.) ✅
Bonus features:
  1. Small size as they will be used with small speakers which are often used in confined spaces. ✅
  2. Adjustable subwoofer crossover slope ❌
  3. Wireless streaming ✅ probably best in class
  4. Roon endpoint ✅
Does this unit have a high pass filter?

I couldn't find information on that.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You should unfortunately take the WXA-50 off your list. It has no high pass filter at all.

dshreter

Does this unit have a high pass filter?

I couldn't find information on that.
It does. When the subwoofer function is turned on the high pass is also turned on (without an ability to defeat it).

MCH

Major Contributor
Attention @sarumbear the Sabaj A30a seems to have a new firmware that gives you selectable low and high pass filter. :eek:

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Attention @sarumbear the Sabaj A30a seems to have a new firmware that gives you selectable low and high pass filter. :eek:

Indeed they do. I was pretty critical on my posts and they have listened. It is very nice that not only they listened but also Sabaj increased the value of their product tremendously. Well done @peterwen

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The addition of a lpf/hpf made this unit that much more attractive.
Indeed... Other than Wi-Fi, and hence AirPlay facility, this amplifier has everything a modern integrated amplifier can have and they sell it at a very decent price. I wish @peterwen and their team every success.

Last edited:

doug s.

i think i'd go for the smsl a300 w/separate low and high pass, if you want a summed mono sub. (not sure if the x-over points are adjustable). and less than half the price of the sabaj. but what i really like about it is you can bridge the amp, which means buy two, run a pair of stereo subs, and still save $100 over the sabaj. ya, i know - two boxes - dog forbid...

doug s.

Reactions: MCH

tc2007

My short term solution (or maybe long term) is an Emotiva BasX TA1 that has a 90Hz crossover that takes the low frequency burden from my LS50 Metas and sends it to my KS62 sub. The new BasX TA2 has an adjustable cross-over and also more power so that may be an option.

BTW I use the TA1 as a preamp only as I have Boxem Arthur 4215 that drives my KEFs.

Emotiva TA2 is pretty much the only amp that I am convinced currently satisfies all the boxes. Plus it has a whopping 135 real watts at 8ohm full bandwidth. Hard to find something at under $1000.

For some reason the owner of the company has a fetish for an antiquated DAC. After hearing the DAC on the older PT100, I think this is a wasted opportunity, when the rest of the world has moved on to more modern DACs supporting DSD etc. I hope the next version has a modern DAC implementation or no DAC section at all. Spend the money saved on a nice remote and maybe tone controls in front or something.

On a side note: Why hasn't ASR not yet measured any of these Emotiva integrated amps given how popular they are?

D

Deleted member 21219

On a side note: Why hasn't ASR not yet measured any of these Emotiva integrated amps given how popular they are?

Amir depends on people sending equipment in to him for testing. If you know someone who has one of these, perhaps you could cajole them to send it in to Amir.

Jim

Top Bottom