• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very true. But that's where lawyers will rip into somebody to 'prove it' to a jury who has no idea what audio is or what an amplifier is. In the words of Dirty Harry, "do you feel lucky?"
So that same lay jury is going to be wowed by the fact your product had certification X, Y and/or Z even when some major damage or injury occurred?

After 30 years in industrial automation and dozens of safety reviews, never had certifications even play into the discussion. It is all about risk management. If you (and your team/company) have sound ethics, you keep the risks low.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
So that same lay jury is going to be wowed by the fact your product had certification X, Y and/or Z even when some major damage or injury occurred?

After 30 years in industrial automation and dozens of safety reviews, never had certifications even play into the discussion. It is all about risk management. If you (and your team/company) have sound ethics, you keep the risks low.
The jury wouldn't know what the certifications mean, and a potential juror would probably be disqualified to sit if they did have knowledge of certifications, but a good lawyer could make a huge fuss about the lack of certification and (perhaps falsely) sucessfully link it to something like a fire. I've seen that in the past, so it absolutely can happen. The bigger a company gets, the more they have to loose against justified or unjustified lawsuits, so in the scheme of things, certification is cheap insurance. And as I mentioned earlier, some commercial projects won't even allow companies without particular certifications to bid on a project.

bkdc

Forum Donor
Are the NC252MP amplifiers now in assembly phase?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Are the NC252MP amplifiers now in assembly phase?
The 2ch and 4ch new input board builds, yes.

Any existing NC252MP orders using the "older" build (non-input board), regardless of channel counts, are also still going as scheduled (though most people have upgraded to the new boards)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A little time comparison:

Was able to get four complete 4-channel amps built yesterday (while splitting the day up to work on both amps and my thesis).
Normally, on a good day, I could have only gotten one, maybe one and half done in the same timeframe/workload.

The new input boards and streamlined assembly is going to make a huge impact on wait times (positively). Especially once I can commit a full 8-10hrs a day.

Dundas

Forum Donor
A little time comparison:

Was able to get four complete 4-channel amps built yesterday (while splitting the day up to work on both amps and my thesis).
Normally, on a good day, I could have only gotten one, maybe one and half done in the same timeframe/workload.

The new input boards and streamlined assembly is going to make a huge impact on wait times (positively). Especially once I can commit a full 8-10hrs a day.
Any update on the 8-channel 502 (pictures)? Trying to decide on whether to get one 8-channel or two 4-channel.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I have everything but the 502's on hand. Still waiting for delivery of those from Hypex. So I don't have an 8ch 502 completed build for pictures yet

bkdc

Forum Donor
For those of us who pre-ordered months ago, are we just waiting for an e-mail/invoice on the balance?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
For those of us who pre-ordered months ago, are we just waiting for an e-mail/invoice on the balance?
Yes.

2ch and 4ch NC252 orders are caught up to August.
6ch and 8ch NC252 orders have been in limbo as I am waiting on the final input boards. Hope to have them within 10 days and then can get all backlogged orders done.

Same goes with Purifi orders: should have the input boards on hand in about 10days and then can quickly fill outstanding orders.

Outstanding NC502MP orders are a little trickier. Hypex was only able to release enough of my outstanding inventory to cover all June and most of July outstanding orders.

Going forward, it sounds like the NC502 stock from Hypex is very fluid and I am adjusting accordingly.

Bottom line: those who have an outstanding order from June or July: 2-3wks max to have those shipped out (and will send an email when ready to ship if you haven't already been on contact with me). Then I will be ripping through August orders ASAP for Purifi and NC252 orders.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Finally a picture of a nearly finished 8ch build in the XL case w/heatsinks.

Attachments

• 20220813_183312.jpg
    20220813_183312.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 261
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thank you. How significant are the heatsinks? Should I consider ordering the XL case even for a 4 channel built for either module?
The main reason for the heatsinks was for the 8ch NC502MP. Since the modules were going to be vertical to fit 8ch for the 502's, it just made sense to also add a heatsink to aid in cooling.

For any of my other builds that I have been offering since 2020, cooling has not been an issue for the standard cases. And even now, more venting has been added to my other cases, along with more attachment points on the bottom of the cases to hold the modules even tighter for better heat transfer.

David338

The main reason for the heatsinks was for the 8ch NC502MP. Since the modules were going to be vertical to fit 8ch for the 502's, it just made sense to also add a heatsink to aid in cooling.

For any of my other builds that I have been offering since 2020, cooling has not been an issue for the standard cases. And even now, more venting has been added to my other cases, along with more attachment points on the bottom of the cases to hold the modules even tighter for better heat transfer.
Thanks for the quick reply. From the pic, looks like the speaker channels are all horizontally mounted. Your new pics for the other cases have them at 45 degree. Is there any other feature differences between the XL and other cases?

Thanks.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks for the quick reply. From the pic, looks like the speaker channels are all horizontally mounted. Your new pics for the other cases have them at 45 degree. Is there any other feature differences between the XL and other cases?

Thanks.
The 45 degree is due to the tight space/smaller size I wanted to make the 2ch case.

Feature wise, all the cases are the same except for the vertical orientation and heatsinks on the XL case.
(Well that, and the obvious feature of the Rackmount case I offer)

da Choge

Forum Donor
Love the new vertically arranged modules with the heatsinks for the 8-channel XL cases. How tall (height) is the XL case and are the XLRs still upside down or are they oriented so that he release tab is on the top? Will the 8-channel Hypex NC252MP model also have the heat sinks? Sorry for all the questions, but in any case, this new layout looks great!

Top Bottom