• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New PSB speakers (Passif 50th Anniversary)

itz_all_about_the_music

It's not a Yugo. If it were still, parking, would you not expect it to have issues with sharp turns? I guess that exposes your reviewing skills...

Deming.jpg

tvih

Seems quite meh indeed that speakers that size don't even have a bigger driver, other than a passive one. Not my favorite vintage speaker lookout there, though definitely not bad either. Curious to see how they'll perform regardless.

That sounds a lot like religion...
Truth would destroy religion, though.

ta240

Major Contributor
Last edited:

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Weird design.
62L outside sized box with F3 of 50 Hz and without dedicated midrange and with RRP 2500 USD.
I don't know what marketing department smokes ...

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Weird design.
62L outside sized box with F3 of 50 Hz and without dedicated midrange and with RRP 2500 USD.
I don't know what marketing department smokes ...
Ugly, expensive, poor performance and even more poor directivity
Thats what olds vintage folks want!

Zvu

Just got back from a local HiFi show. Knowing nothing about it i listened these. First i thought that someone brought some vintage loudspeakers, but the presenter explained they are new PSB made. It was connected to NAD C298 power amplifier (Eigentakt modules inside) and Nad C658 preamp/dac/streamer - very simple three component system. They sounded gorgeous in a pretty large space - like 180-200m2. It is some 6-7 inch midbass with beautifull paper cone and suspension that reminds me of Scan Speak Classic series - i'm guessing that insides of the cabinet hide some beast of the motor since i felt no distortion or compression effects in such a large space. Also, there is titanium dome tweeter with silk? suspension. Crossover is at 1800Hz which is pretty good and on the money for a good two way with 7" midbass regarding directivity. There is black felt around the tweeter to mitigate the diffraction and grills seem to be designed similar to Linton's. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they measure without major flaws. I quite enjoyed it. It is a 2way loudspeaker with passive radiator instead of port. Regardless of their specs, subjectively they dig deep, go loud and sound smooth - that in itself is an accomplishment. I'd never buy them for that much money, but my first listening experience with them is quite positive. Part of my impressions probably goes to Nad amplifier - not suffering from lack of power reserve it controlled the speakers with ease. Looking at Nagra turntables that sell for 175.000 euros and Marten speakers for 185.000 - these PSB's were highlight of the show for me.

ПСБ и НАД Ц298.jpg

Oh, and they look much better with grilles on.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
I would give it the favour to comment on performance once some proper measurement is available. Maybe it could performs well and cater the vintage group like the Harbeth one.

Zvu

I would give it the favour to comment on performance once some proper measurement is available. Maybe it could performs well and cater the vintage group like the Harbeth one.

Well, that's playing it safe.

Whole point is in making the comments about sound before you see the measurements. That way you can correlate what you hear with what you later see and you get the idea about aberrations that are or aren't relevant.

Anybody can comment the sound when measurements are already shown - but that's what cowards do :)

Zvu

Here is a new interview with Paul Barton (on the Darko Podcast) about how they use Measurements to build the Passif 50th:

Pretty interesting IMO (though Darko comes out as knowing nothing as usual).

For some reason, your link didn't work for me so here is direct link to the Soundcloud

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
For some reason, your link didn't work for me so here is direct link to the Soundcloud

Yes, odd the link works if I edit the URL but not if its linked from an external website like this one - probably something Darko has setup to make people only link from his home page.

Top Bottom