• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Amir-Hossein

Pkane
Please stop
It is better to focus on the subject and read the PDF
Thank you

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pkane
Please stop
It is better to focus on subject and read the PDF
Thank you

It took me about 2 minutes to scan the PDF -- I've not only studied this area but implemented both, measurement and correction methods for non-linear systems.... using music. I'm very familiar with the subject, so if you want to continue to argue, then please use something that is actually meaningful in this context, thank you.

Geert

Major Contributor
If you have no thing to say about this subject please stop posting here

When can we expect something meaningful from you, except for "it's complex"? Can you give us some examples of non linearity issues in for example DAC's or amplifiers, which are audible but don't show up in measurements like frequency response, distortion, noise and phase response? How common are these issues, and which measurements do you suggest to capture this information?

What about an answer to the question what we're missing when performing a null test?

Feelas

Audio systems and music signal are complex.

if simple measurements can not answer our questions then we should go for more accurate more complex measurements to get our answers.

I believe in measurements.
Audio equipments are Nonlinear systems
Music signal is not simple tone
Human hearing is not simple linear system
But you do understand that it has been shown some times that music's wideband spectrum may cause masking of distortion under the musical signal... right?

Also, author of the thesis writes EXACTLY this:
the only assumption for using the proposed identification method is to consider the system under test as a black box with single input x[n] and single output y[n].
to say about his own method.

Amir-Hossein

I told before in my first post that "Time domain measurement and scanning" of signal when audio system is playing music in room.

Feelas

I told before in my first post that "Time domain measurement and scanning" of signal when audio system is playing music in room.
Please elaborate how that would change anything, apart from taking the task from "hard' to "utterly impossible to do repeatably"? In any case, guys have brought up null-testing above, if null-tests don't show anything then how come you believe in difference between signals? Please talk this through, too, if you want to be treated seriously.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Come on,don't be ashamed to admit that you want to be a mystery around so you can go on and post that you heard improvements with every mambo-jumbo snake oil is around audio.
You're not the only one.

irontortoise

Audio is bound by physics, therefore can (and should!) be measured. The devices reproducing those sounds, also bound by physics, can therefore be measured and quantified. The only part that cannot be 100% accurately measured is your personal response to that reproduction and based on past studies, a very close general approximation can be made. That is at least how I try to approach it now that I understand better. Leave the "veils," and other marketing terms that cannot be measured to philosophers, theologians, and Zak Bagans.

Geert

Major Contributor
I told before in my first post that "Time domain measurement and scanning" of signal when audio system is playing music in room

In that first post you gave digital cables as an example. You don't think it's sufficient to perform a null test using the output of the DAC or the amplifier? Is my understanding correct that you instead want to record the sound in the room? If so, how can that sound differ when a null test of the DAC output doesn't show any difference? Please clarify if this is not what you meant.

Amir-Hossein

In that first post you gave digital cables as an example. You don't think it's sufficient to perform a null test using the output of the DAC or the amplifier? Is my understanding correct that you instead want to record the sound in the room? If so, how can that sound differ when a null test of the DAC output doesn't show any difference? Please clarify if this is not what you meant.
Geert
What i suggested is time domain measuring in real condition , imagine audio system is playing music in your room at moderate level and you scan/record signal (from speaker by microphone or from speaker terminal voltage) and compare two signals (null test) in computer.

In this method we have not 100% control to have equal test condition but overally i think this is better method.

Amir-Hossein

Sokel
I have a TAD Reference System D600/C600/M700/R1 + Skogrand Cables totally 570.000$
In my system i had many blind listening tests and i believe a properly setup (good AC quality, good speaker placement, good acoustic) TAD system could show difference of cables.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I think you absolutely do not know anything about non-linear systems.
Please upgrade your knowledge before spreading nonsense ideas.

You get a time out.

Do more reading.

Top Bottom