• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap 4 channel DAC for playing around with CamillaDSP

fatoldgit

Title says it all.

I like what CamillaDSP can do (after reading the manual) and want to play around with it but dont want to blow a lot of money on a 4 channel DAC before I am happy CamillaDSP can do what I think it can (in my specific use case).

So any suggestions for a cheap 4 channel DAC to use as a test bed before a final investment in a SOTA DAC.

Would need to support USB input as obviously CamillaDSP will run on a PC (running Linux in my case)

Thanks,

Peter

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Music1969

Major Contributor
Need one that plays nice with Linux. I was going to suggest Focusrite but then remember that is hopeless with multichannel on Linux

I think Motu M4 with kernel 5.15 or later : Apr 24, 2022

Lowlatency kernel 5.15 (later later) best

Last edited:
OP
F

fatoldgit

How cheap is cheap? There is the MINIDsp 2x4HD (with in-built DSP) and 4 channels, or this: https://www.heynowhifi.com.au/products/esi-gigaport-hd-high-quality-24-bit-8-out-usb-audio-interface. Only 2 channels at 96kHz sampling but 6 or more channels at rates below that.

Actually a new version out now https://www.esi-audio.com/products/gigaportex/

Looked at the MiniDSP but am trying not rely on inbuilt DSP (as a future proofing move... keep the EQ under my control and just use a "dumb" DAC)

But what you linked looks good as a test bed and as all my files are 44.1/16 that fits into the limitation you noted.

As a resident of the Shakey Isle to the right of OZ, if I cant get it in NZ than your I can probably get that OZ company to ship it to me.

Will confirm its plays well with Linux.

The obvious end state once I am happy would be a Okto DAC8.

Many thanks,

Peter

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Behringer UMC204HD should work for you. It’s not top quality, but for some testing, should be fine. Even better if you can get it second hand.

OP
F

fatoldgit

Behringer UMC204HD should work for you. It’s not top quality, but for some testing, should be fine. Even better if you can get it second hand.

Thanks!!!!

Thats the puppy for me

$200 NZ from a supplier in NZ... so thats fantastic!!.

Peter

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tested here:

Katji

Major Contributor
^^ + >=$80 perhaps + tax.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Title says it all.

I like what CamillaDSP can do (after reading the manual) and want to play around with it but dont want to blow a lot of money on a 4 channel DAC before I am happy CamillaDSP can do what I think it can (in my specific use case).

So any suggestions for a cheap 4 channel DAC to use as a test bed before a final investment in a SOTA DAC.

Would need to support USB input as obviously CamillaDSP will run on a PC (running Linux in my case)

Thanks,

Peter
Buy a Topping LM7 and use half of it.

OP
F

fatoldgit

Got this for $NZ 80 ($US 50)

1660025316939.png

Works fine under Linux (win/mac also supported)... shows all the right stuff (see below) and my CamillaDSP 2 channel to 4 channel tests work as excepted.

Uses 3.5mm plugs which is fine for my tests and I used my headphones for testing, plugging into FL/FR socket then Surrounds socket to check channels

Drives the headphones (HD650's) really well... was a suprises given I was using line outs.

Once testing is done will use for my desktop listening.

sysdefault:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
Front speakers
surround21:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
Hardware device with all software conversions
usbstream:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D
ICUSBAUDIO7D
USB Stream Output

MCH

Major Contributor
Got this for $NZ 80 ($US 50)

View attachment 223238

Works fine under Linux (win/mac also supported)... shows all the right stuff (see below) and my CamillaDSP 2 channel to 4 channel tests work as excepted.

Uses 3.5mm plugs which is fine for my tests and I used my headphones for testing, plugging into FL/FR socket then Surrounds socket to check channels

Drives the headphones (HD650's) really well... was a suprises given I was using line outs.

Once testing is done will use for my desktop listening.

sysdefault:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
Front speakers
surround21:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D,DEV=0
ICUSBAUDIO7D, USB Audio
Hardware device with all software conversions
usbstream:CARD=ICUSBAUDIO7D
ICUSBAUDIO7D
USB Stream Output
These cards (at least mine, that looks slightly different but i believe inside is the same) have an interesting feature: they output the main LR simultaneously via toslink and via analogue. The rest of the channels obviously analogue only.
This would allow to use a better dac for the mains and use other channels for subs....

OP
F

fatoldgit

These cards (at least mine, that looks slightly different but i believe inside is the same) have an interesting feature: they output the main LR simultaneously via toslink and via analogue. The rest of the channels obviously analogue only.
This would allow to use a better dac for the mains and use other channels for subs....

This purchase was basically a throwaway (although I am impressed with it) so will use it outside of the "Big Rig".

As per my title, I didnt want to spend lots of dollars on a multichannel DAC to find that CamillaDSP didnt work for my use case or that I wasnt smart enough to make it work.

For deployment (now that I have proven both CamillaDSP and myself are up to the task), I will get a Okto dac8 PRO (when they are available next).

The Topping DM7 would also probably do but I like a full size box and XLR's (so I can reuse what I have and not use TRS->XLR convertors)

Peter

dped90

This purchase was basically a throwaway (although I am impressed with it) so will use it outside of the "Big Rig".

As per my title, I didnt want to spend lots of dollars on a multichannel DAC to find that CamillaDSP didnt work for my use case or that I wasnt smart enough to make it work.

For deployment (now that I have proven both CamillaDSP and myself are up to the task), I will get a Okto dac8 PRO (when they are available next).

The Topping DM7 would also probably do but I like a full size box and XLR's (so I can reuse what I have and not use TRS->XLR convertors)

Peter
How did everything go with the Okto DAC8 Pro and Camilla? You didn't actually specify what you use Camilla for, but I'm hoping that it's mostly for room correction. I have my pair of main speakers and three Rythmik F12 powered subs and want to find the best MCH DAC and room correcting software solution (for Windows). I'm hoping that Camilla might not have a steep learning curve especially because I've read that others using software like DIRAC Live 3 found themselves taking a big gain loss hit-as much as 20db!

Did you find that your main speakers/room match and especially the subs/room match sound way better than before using Camilla?

Are your speakers and subs active or passive? If the mains and/or subs are passively crossed, and if Camilla imposed any gain loss, which if any of the Okto's outputs dropped in level enough to where you needed to either feed that DAC output (s) to a preamp and/or or turn up any available input sensitivity channel controls on your power amps?

OR when you got the Okto DAC 8 Pro did you order it configured to deliver one of the higher output voltages?

If possible, please describe your room: size, ceiling type (slanted?) height, what acoustical treatments prior to using Camilla. And preamp make/model, power amp makes/models.

Is or was some or all of your I/O wired balanced or unbalanced?

What microphone/ADC did you use to make the main speakers and subs test tone measurements?

Happy to see that Startech multichannel USB adapter box helped you get it all done. But since getting the Okto Pro 8 DAC, if cost were not much of a factor, would you have done it all the same way or use other way (s) or hardware on the microphone test recording/ADC side for use with Camilla?

Top Bottom