• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec S360 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 111 35.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 184 59.5%

• Total voters

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can’t believe people are actually discussing with a straight face that the tweeter of the 8361 is more limited in the last octave than the tweeter of this speaker.

Who gives a damn? Musical content is usually -40 dB at 10KHz, something else somewhere will blow up way before the tweeter unless you’re doing something you shouldn’t.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can’t believe people are actually discussing with a straight face that the tweeter of the 8361 is more limited in the last octave than the tweeter of this speaker.

Who gives a damn? Musical content is usually -40 dB at 10KHz, something else somewhere will blow up way before the tweeter unless you’re doing something you shouldn’t.
I agree that SPL in that region is usually not really a problem, although I would rather say not as much as -40 but more around -10 to -15 dB compared to the bass region (depends also on the music of course):

Track260AvgL.png

Track260MaxL.png

Source: https://www.hifi-selbstbau.de/grund...6/81-musik-qvergleichenq-mit-dem-waveanalyzer

Digby

Major Contributor

Right, but 8361 is a coax, so the movement of the outer driver may interfere with high frequencies at loud volumes in a way that doesn't happen with a compression driver. Not sure if this is an issue in practise 95% of the time.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree that SPL in that region is usually not really a problem, although I would rather say not as much as -40 but more around -10 to -15 dB compared to the bass region (depends also on the music of course):

Track260AvgL.png

Track260MaxL.png

Source: https://www.hifi-selbstbau.de/grund...6/81-musik-qvergleichenq-mit-dem-waveanalyzer

This study studied the long term average spectrum of music and their results show the last octave at -40 dB.

While there is quite a bit of standard deviation because it's music at the end of the day the output is really really low at the last octave.

hmt

Is the HD of the tweeter at more than 10KHz actually a big problem? The harmonics should be in the inaudible range. Nevertheless such high energy in that region is very rare in actual content, escecially since a sweep generates more heat. For setups with speakers behind an acoustic transparent screen the S360 should have an advantage due to loss of energy in high frequencies.

PeteL

Major Contributor

Do you know many speakers designed to be used more than 10 meters (30+ feet) away that use dome tweeters? From the video it was the goal.

Zaireeka

I once measured a hardcore band that we hosted for a show, they hit 114dB@5m and it was almost painful to hear. I'm not sure everyone realize how loud 118dB is o_O

Fotophred

S360 is a great speaker.
To put the following comments in context I own a pair of 8361s retain a pair of 8330s and sold a pair of 8351As (that I had enjoyed for some years)
I have listened to and enjoyed a friends S360s with a variety of music played at varying sound levels.

To compare the S360s to 8351/8361 is not entirely valid - similar to comparing a shovel to a spade. They perform functions that are broadly the same but in detail are different.
The S360s can produce impressive sound levels and "throw" the music further than the 8351s and may be better at 8 meters plus than the 8361s.
The S360s dont go as low (In room) as the 8361s but they are dynamic,clean, clear and crisp far lower than most "Hi Fi" speakers can ever dream of reaching.
Yes a listener could listen to S360s with a pair of the appropriate Genelec subs but for most the lower bass is already more than satisfying.

Suggest that people grab some of their favorite music and have a listen to a pair of S360s - for most the journey home will be trying to work out why sound this good is so cheap (When compared to consumer products.)

A strength of the S360s (And other mid to high end Genelecs) is they include DAC, pre amplifier, amplifier and room correction in each cabinet.
All that a listener may need to do is feed these speakers a digital signal and the speakers will do everything else.
Regarding the room correction
To over simplify, In general these Genelec speakers can be placed anywhere in the listening enviornment and the correction will sort out the frequency response curve.
A typical user can ping them flat and then alter the response curve to suit how they wish to listen to their music.

Why does Genelec use compression drivers on these and other speakers?
I dont know but will speculate,
Genelec has a history of innovation and embracing new/emerging technologies.
Compression drivers have improved immensely in recent years with a very broad and increasing range of frequency response, utilising this technology seems to fit with the Genelec philosophy.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After objective proofs and reminders of , almost customary excellence of Genelec offerings, we are down nitpicking ... :)

Damn! Another superb speaker from Genelec.

A bit off-topic. For a USA purchaser, wouldn't JBL 708P a better ROI? One pair of 708P, for the price of one of these things... Aren't the objective performances similar?

Peace.

Blockader

I don't know what we are debating here. Genelec S360's target audience is people who are looking for 110-120db+ output above 5khz. If you miss this point, you can't appreciate how amazing speakers these are. S360's are VERY high SPL(and I can't stress this enough) speakers and for those who are looking for such speakers, there are only few good choices: JBL M2, S360 and GGNTKT M1(I can't wait for M3!).

1659520326757.png

Even some of the soft rock tracks have +25db peaks, movies can have up to +30db peaks compared to the average level. It is true that treble information is usually at -30db relative to bass, however if your listening distance is more than 4 meters, something like Genelec S360 is exactly what you need.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
After objective proofs and reminders of , almost customary excellence of Genelec offerings, we are down nitpicking ... :)

Damn! Another superb speaker from Genelec.

A bit off-topic. For a USA purchaser, wouldn't JBL 708P a better ROI? One pair of 708P, for the price of one of these things... Aren't the objective performances similar?

Peace.
Audiosciencereview have tested 708p.

They are highly recommended just like this s360A.
Both measures good, but the Genelec have lower distortion.

081FF15F-3DEE-4A0E-9DDB-2E7E27EA588A.jpeg
52702584-D0A9-4FB9-8AF4-A84D18DDC6FE.jpeg

Last edited:

Digby

Major Contributor
To compare the S360s to 8351/8361 is not entirely valid - similar to comparing a shovel to a spade. They perform functions that are broadly the same but in detail are different.
The S360s dont go as low (In room) as the 8361s but they are dynamic,clean, clear and crisp far lower than most "Hi Fi" speakers can ever dream of reaching.
Bold added for emphasis, hope you don't mind. I don't doubt what you say is true, but how do people garner this information from the graphs provided on ASR? I think saying these are speakers for people that "like it loud" is underselling them. They have strengths that the 8361 doesn't have and vice versa.

I'd be interested to know what your subjective opinions were comparing 8361 and S360. What situations would you prefer one over the other?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This study studied the long term average spectrum of music and their results show the last octave at -40 dB.

While there is quite a bit of standard deviation because it's music at the end of the day the output is really really low at the last octave.
Temporal average isn't though as relevant for distortion values as the peak values which probably is also the biggest difference between the two results.
Temporal average is more relevant for other elements like voice coil heat up and driver protection.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why does Genelec use compression drivers on these and other speakers?
Genelec uses compression drivers where they are necessary due to very high SPLs and only there, as everything is a compromise and that is sensible engineering practice.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Temporal average isn't though as relevant for distortion values as the peak values which probably is also the biggest difference between the two results.
Temporal average is more relevant for other elements like voice coil heat up and driver protection.

Genelecs advertises the 8361A as 118dB capable (same as 630A) and the limiter seem to be engaged not at individual bursts but rather at average levels.

I’m not keeping a close eye on the whole discussion but if people are actually discussing harmonic distortion at burst volumes at the last octave then maybe I didn’t roll my eyes hard enough the previous reply.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Do you know many speakers designed to be used more than 10 meters (30+ feet) away that use dome tweeters? From the video it was the goal.

Genelec uses compression drivers where they are necessary due to very high SPLs and only there, as everything is a compromise and that is sensible engineering practice.
Yup, Genelec most certainly knows what they're doing. I missed this with listening distance and SPL. What type of conditions is the S360 supposed to operate under.:)

So small, medium sized listening room/ living room including listening at normal/low listening volume. Let's say 65-75 dB at 3 meters / 10 ft so then the S360
isn't the most optimal choice? Then (given said listening conditions) considering Genelec have other models. Or other speaker manufacturers can offer more suitable in that price range, or?

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Specs are pretty similar
Shouldn't all 3 of them reach the same SPL levels?
Screenshot_20220803-133056_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220803-133018_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220803-132940_Chrome.jpg

Blockader

kipman725

The tracks you playback have been manipulated in a studio, are filtered, compresed and have reduced dynamic range. If you are working with live cymbals you can easily burn even compresion drivers while keeping the average SPL at 10m in the 90-95dBA slow range.

Top Bottom