• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ugh

D!sco

I just came here to complain to people who understand. Had a plan for dual subs forever and it just seems to be getting further and further away. Here's a screenshot of the current price.
Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 09.01.17.png

I just want the supply chain madness to end so I can annoy my neighbors even more. The squeeze is so real with all this heavy magnetic material and chip shortages.

What's your current price apocalypse?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Food. Gas to drive to work. Stock market crash that is forcing me to delay retirement.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
At least you got free shipping! :p

And next there's the trip to the lumber store.... :(

What always gets me is when you make a few runs to the store (or place a few more orders) for "little things" you didn't really think about like screws, glue, wire, heat shrink, etc., and it's about $20 every time. Or if you have to order one more thing and the shipping costs more than the thing you want to order.

Just curious - Do you have software for designing with a passive radiator?

spacessound

emergency Flight from Europe to Australia to see my expiring father before he passes - business class $ cattle class ticket

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No doubt as good capitalists we are all deeply thankful that airlines are restoring themselves to profitability. :confused:

Matthias McCready

Lets see:

I ordered some studio monitors in June of 2021, at the time I order they were a little behind and delivery was expected to come in August or September 2021. Then the delays hit the fan, and they thought mid-late 2022. o_O

This past December I was going to buy speaker stands... and one thing led to another and I ended up buying some SSL stuff instead, as I wasn't sure when my new monitors were coming. ;)

At the beginning of January I found out there was a pair sitting/boxed up at a warehouse in MO that needed a home and the monitors arrived a few days later, but now I didn't have stands... or money saved for stands yet!

So I have slowly been saving up and selling old equipment, and finally I was able to order the speaker stands this last week. Between manufacturing cost and shipping they were $350 more expensive than they would have been had I ordered on December. :oops:

Things could be worse though, and good things are worth waiting for. :)

ta240

Major Contributor
I just came here to complain to people who understand. Had a plan for dual subs forever and it just seems to be getting further and further away. Here's a screenshot of the current price.

I just want the supply chain madness to end so I can annoy my neighbors even more. The squeeze is so real with all this heavy magnetic material and chip shortages.

What's your current price apocalypse?

It will be interesting to see what prices actually settle and which ones just stop going up quite as fast if/when things get better.

A year and a half ago I hesitated on buying a 'new' used car because prices had just jumped around $1000 (5%). Now that same car is about $8,000 more (40%). They have to go back down... right?

Matthias McCready

It will be interesting to see what prices actually settle and which ones just stop going up quite as fast if/when things get better.

A year and a half ago I hesitated on buying a 'new' used car because prices had just jumped around $1000 (5%). Now that same car is about $8,000 more (40%). They have to go back down... right?
Where I live you can buy a new vehicle, but you will have to wait a few months.... or you can buy a used vehicle of the same model which is several years old and has 30-60k miles on it, for.... $20k more than list!?!? Granted that can be brand and model dependent.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
emergency Flight from Europe to Australia to see my expiring father before he passes - business class $ cattle class ticket
I'm so sorry to hear this. Wishing you well.

OP
D

D!sco

At least you got free shipping! :p

And next there's the trip to the lumber store.... :(

What always gets me is when you make a few runs to the store (or place a few more orders) for "little things" you didn't really think about like screws, glue, wire, heat shrink, etc., and it's about $20 every time. Or if you have to order one more thing and the shipping costs more than the thing you want to order.

Just curious - Do you have software for designing with a passive radiator?
VCAD 2.0 does a decent job. Other than that, those are designed to pair with one another. The PR has double the XMAX of the HF. Technically could work one-on-one with the HO if you stretch and DSP it.

OP
D

D!sco

My real nightmare is the prices across the board are the new floor and nothing will be this cheap again.

Personal stuff makes me real sad, so keeping it light (and in the goal of the thread) my roommate got his SVS at 50% of it's current value a few years ago. Can't believe a $600 subwoofer would seem like a steal these days

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know the Dayton Audio drivers are good quality, but $375 per sub on the 12" driver + passive radiator is steep. That puts you in the same price bracket as an 18" Ultimax.

Modeling both setups in WinISD, the sealed 18" in a 6ft cabinet plays 1dB louder for the same input power from 35-80Hz, and plays 15dB louder at 20Hz. Not to mention it has much greater power handling, so you can push the peak output a full 7dB higher if you have 900 watts of amplification available. The 12" driver just taps out at 230 watts even with an aggressive high-pass filter.

OP
D

D!sco

I know the Dayton Audio drivers are good quality, but $375 per sub on the 12" driver + passive radiator is steep. That puts you in the same price bracket as an 18" Ultimax.

Modeling both setups in WinISD, the sealed 18" in a 6ft cabinet plays 1dB louder for the same input power from 35-80Hz, and plays 15dB louder at 20Hz. Not to mention it has much greater power handling, so you can push the peak output a full 7dB higher if you have 900 watts of amplification available. The 12" driver just taps out at 230 watts even with an aggressive high-pass filter.
I have two and a half cubic feet to work with per sub. This design hits 110dB at 20hz per sub. Apartments don't like Ultimaxes

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have two and a half cubic feet to work with per sub. This design hits 110dB at 20hz per sub. Apartments don't like Ultimaxes

Are you factoring in room gain for that 110dB figure?

Because I don't see it getting anywhere close to that figure at 20Hz. More like 88.5dB, even if you add mass to the passive radiator to get lower tuning. With no high-pass filter, 91-92dB at 20Hz. Which is still probably more than an apartment building will tolerate, I am just curious how you arrived at your SPL figure.

OP
D

D!sco

Are you factoring in room gain for that 110dB figure?

Because I don't see it getting anywhere close to that figure at 20Hz. More like 88.5dB, even if you add mass to the passive radiator to get lower tuning. With no high-pass filter, 91-92dB at 20Hz. Which is still probably more than an apartment building will tolerate, I am just curious how you arrived at your SPL figure.
Nah, that's the VCAD stat for 60L and 225g added mass. 500W is plenty.

roog

Forum Donor
The increasing cost of living is a worry for sure, after a few months of spending on long term projects, which did need to be done, I have had some quiet time and stopped my non essential expenditure.
This was only broken this morning by the purchase of a few electronics text books which I should have bought years ago, in one case 40+ years ago!

Text books are ok aren't they? after all they are good for you, although I don't suppose they are good to eat.

My plan to 'invest' in a Purifi amp project is going to have to go on the back burner for a bit longer. :0(

All first world problems I know, I feel for those less fortunate.

Good luck everyone and best wishes

Last edited:
Top Bottom