• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 28 7.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 314 86.5%

• Total voters

theoblue80

Hi guys, this is a great achievement!
I am wondering if this combo with the SE circuit will be able to drive with authority my HifiMan HE6SEV1 which need at least 2W of power at 50Ohms impedance.

Veri

Master Contributor
I am wondering if this combo with the SE circuit will be able to drive with authority my HifiMan HE6SEV1 which need at least 2W of power at 50Ohms impedance.
If you look at the final graph then yeah, I figure it should be just fine with this amp. Unless you also need digital pre-gain headroom for EQ, and you listen loud, then you might need an A30 Pro...

theoblue80

If you look at the final graph then yeah, I figure it should be just fine with this amp. Unless you also need digital pre-gain headroom for EQ, and you listen loud, then you might need an A30 Pro...
Thanks! And also which is the famous defect of L30 v1 which is supposed to be fixed in v2?

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks! And also which is the famous defect of L30 v1 which is supposed to be fixed in v2?
The original L30 could pick up ESD/static shock in specific worst case scenario, and potentially wreck havoc. But that was fixed as soon as it was known. I had an original L30 and got a fixed one for free along with it :) I used the original one for quite some time and never got any damage.. but I did "earth" myself before touching it once the problem was known.. :p

Anyway, the current one obviously does not have that problem of old.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Don't trust HiFiMan's specs.
Both Amir and Brent Butterworth have measured the HE6se V1 at 64Ω instead of 50.
Sensitivity is also lower at 91 and 92dB SPL/Vrms vs HiFiMan's specs at 96.5

The L30 II can output about 12.5Vrms at 64Ω, which means that according to Amir's measurments you can expect 113dB SPL peak.
That's very loud and should be enough for anyone really, though depending on your EQ and the content you're listening to, you could still be left wanting more.

cheapmessiah

Both Amir and Brent Butterworth have measured the HE6se V1 at 64Ω instead of 50.

The L30 II can output about 12.5Vrms at 64Ω, which means that according to Amir's measurments you can expect 113dB SPL peak.
That's very loud and should be enough for anyone really, though depending on your EQ and the content you're listening to, you could still be left wanting more.
Yhe question is, is it enough to boost the bass to harman?

cheapmessiah

At what overall SPL?
My guess is at whatever SPL we consider loud, as in very loud but not harmful, and then we add an equal amount of db as the preamp negative gain requiered to avoid digital clipping.

amazingtazing

The 100db 50mv SNR looks like an error.

You can clearly see from power-performance graph that is not the case.

Without noise amplification Ap cannot go that high
Which graph are you talking about? Where that is not the case.

theoblue80

I don't use EQ and I am not listening to deafening levels, so hopefully the L30ii will suffice.
The question of course is if it can reveal the full potential of the headphone in reasonable volume levels.
In any case, it would be nice to have a feedback from anyone that purchases it and can test it with an HE6 headphone :)
I know though that we have come to the point to discuss if a 150$ hp amp without balanced mode can almost achieve the performance of thousands of dollars products, even the performance of Topping flagships :)

Last edited:

selthier

wow, its really looks interesting..

sold my E30 + L30 and plan to buy dx3 pro+ for more simplicity in my workplace, but now i kinda want this

or is there any info for maybe renew dx3 pro+?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
wow, its really looks interesting..

sold my E30 + L30 and plan to buy dx3 pro+ for more simplicity in my workplace, but now i kinda want this

or is there any info for maybe renew dx3 pro+?
They haven't announced one. However the Ex5 is pretty affordable right now and it has everything basically.
There is a new DX7 coming out though, Aug 23rd supposedly.

raif71

Major Contributor
Is the power supply universal voltage up to 220V? Thanks.
You're supposed to get the power supply suitable where you are located. For me in Malaysia, I got the UK power supply (220V) and I suppose those in USA, will get the 110V power supply. Talking from L30 experience.

oscar_dziki

Definitely agree here. Sonic Perfection is cheaper than it has ever been before. However if you are going to buy the stealth I would personally buy a different setup other than the l30 and E30 just because of the lack of a screen which is annoying with high-res content. And the potential for channel Miss match with a cheaper potentiometer.
I just got a topping ex5 on eBay dirt cheap listed incorrectly as new to my misfortune. It is also missing a remote but apparently the remote from my old DX7 works just fine. I just think that having a unit like this is more beneficial because of the total feature set for only slightly more money.
Yeah, im in Poland. Only EX5 I can see is being sold used, which makes no sense for me as i can deduct it from VAT when new. I was also thinking about this sabaj combo reviewed here lately.

Compact_D

You're supposed to get the power supply suitable where you are located. For me in Malaysia, I got the UK power supply (220V) and I suppose those in USA, will get the 110V power supply. Talking from L30 experience.
So are tou saying that it is limited to 110V for the US version? Asking because most switched power adapters are 100-240V or so, and it looks a bit tiny for a real transformer. Thanks.

raif71

Major Contributor
So are tou saying that it is limited to 110V for the US version? Asking because most switched power adapters are 100-240V or so, and it looks a bit tiny for a real transformer. Thanks.
As far as I know, this to be the case but I could be wrong.... @JohnYang1997 or anyone?

Top Bottom