• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tower speaker recommendations under €1500

Jayesh

I own a pair of monitor audio 300 7g which is around your budget - soundstage network has measurements for them. I'm very happy with them but there was a night and day difference when adding a subwoofer - almost to the point that I would struggle to reccomend them without one.

If you're able to go with bookshelfs and get subwoofers to go under the stand i would suggest that option over most towers - unless you can get big ones with bass extension. For example silver 100 7g + svs micro 3000 if you need the space. Or svs sb 1000 pro which is slightly bigger but leaves you about €900-1000 to buy bookshelves.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Best bass from that price range is very likely the Klipsch RP-8000F.

But if the Focal towers really can be had at those prices – unbelievable to a U.S. resident – those are a strong choice.

The Polk R700's would be another strong choice, but could be outside of your price range.

hdkeith

I have auditioned the focal 826 and Minitor AudioSilver 500 7G and the Focals were a tad bright, but very detailed, but the low end was thin and how would soundingwhen pusg[hed, cabinet resonance. The Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G was awesome, clean goo tigh bass. Well composed when pushed hard. Also listened to Monitor Audi Gold 300 and 200 and the Silver lows were almost to the Gold 300 and more full than the 200. Thr Silver was a tad bright compared to the Gold 300, but if not A/B tested the Silver would be fine and is still on my short list.

Taiga

These measured well at Audioholics. The older, but essentially identical, RP-280f have been available at a substantial discount.

delta76

Major Contributor
These measured well at Audioholics. The older, but essentially identical, RP-280f have been available at a substantial discount.

8000F is about 750EUR/pair right now in France. It could be good one, I don't know, but their target market is clearly not same as Focal Aria 948 or Monitor Audio Silver 500
I have auditioned the focal 826 and Minitor AudioSilver 500 7G and the Focals were a tad bright, but very detailed, but the low end was thin and how would soundingwhen pusg[hed, cabinet resonance. The Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G was awesome, clean goo tigh bass. Well composed when pushed hard. Also listened to Monitor Audi Gold 300 and 200 and the Silver lows were almost to the Gold 300 and more full than the 200. Thr Silver was a tad bright compared to the Gold 300, but if not A/B tested the Silver would be fine and is still on my short list.
Not sure where you are, probably US? Focal Chora 826 is the lower end model, it is like less than half price of 500 7G, and even less so with deals (I see it is within 350 EUR range quite often no that's 816, 826 is about 450 EUR) and yes it is lack of bass. Same thing with its step up - Aria 926. You are expected to add a sub

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor

But if the Focal towers really can be had at those prices – unbelievable to a U.S. resident – those are a strong choice.

The Polk R700's would be another strong choice, but could be outside of your price range.
I would never buy Focal for US price - or even half of it. I would not even buy Focal for price at where I live. But shipping from France is just ... well, unbeatable deal. Surely there are better sounding/better looking speakers, but thinking of what I get, always put a smile on my face :)

hdkeith

8000F is about 750EUR/pair right now in France. It could be good one, I don't know, but their target market is clearly not same as Focal Aria 948 or Monitor Audio Silver 500

Not sure where you are, probably US? Focal Chora 826 is the lower end model, it is like less than half price of 500 7G, and even less so with deals (I see it is within 350 EUR range quite often no that's 816, 826 is about 450 EUR) and yes it is lack of bass. Same thing with its step up - Aria 926. You are expected to add a sub

In US the Focal runs around $950 each and the MA Silver 500 about $1600 each and the Klipsch RP-8000Foo around $900 each. And while the MA Silver 500 may not be a direct competitor to the Klipsch it is in the same target spc range, maybe the Silver 300 would be more direct; Of the 3 the MA 500 Silver was better than the other 2. I also listened to the Focal 936 and it was far too boomy on the bass and the bass drowned out the highs. I quickly removed Focal from my list.

delta76

Major Contributor
In US the Focal runs around $950 each and the MA Silver 500 about $1600 each and the Klipsch RP-8000Foo around $900 each. And while the MA Silver 500 may not be a direct competitor to the Klipsch it is in the same target spc range, maybe the Silver 300 would be more direct; Of the 3 the MA 500 Silver was better than the other 2. I also listened to the Focal 936 and it was far too boomy on the bass and the bass drowned out the highs. I quickly removed Focal from my list.
8000F is 999$ a pair now on amazon, and that is not even its best price.

hdkeith

8000F is 999$ a pair now on amazon, and that is not even its best price.
The is the outgoing model. not the RP-8000Fii, granted I would challenge anyone to be able to hear a difference between them. And while I did not care for the Focal if you have a small room and subs the Focal my be a better sounding speaker and to me the Monitor Audio Silver 500 was better than both and if you look at the measurements on the Silver 500 is measure almost dead flat with linearity making it easy to EQ.

delta76

Major Contributor
Well if you like something you buy it. i am just trying to steer the discussion back to "what should I buy with 1500 € in europe" :).

hdkeith

Sorry I was not aware of what the various speaker costs are in Europe.

diablo

Forum Donor
these look really interesting - I'm wondering one thing though... my experience with this kind of tweeter is that they are very 'beamy' and don't disperse the sound a lot. do you would you happen to know if this is true for these? tempting to try them, but might be a pain to actually return them.
thank you for the tip!
On your comment about the XTZ99.36 FLR - the Fountek ribbon tweeters have a very wide horizontal dispersion. Though the response falls off vertically.

I quite like mine, though I do use them with a sub.

OP
mvnchies

mvnchies

On your comment about the XTZ99.36 FLR - the Fountek ribbon tweeters have a very wide horizontal dispersion. Though the response falls off vertically.

I quite like mine, though I do use them with a sub.
very nice, I was tempted by these actually! but, as I said earlier, I've decided on a pair just a little above my budget... :)

appreciate the discussion and suggestions though, cheers everyone

diablo

Forum Donor
very nice, I was tempted by these actually! but, as I said earlier, I've decided on a pair just a little above my budget... :)

appreciate the discussion and suggestions though, cheers everyone
Ah, I'd missed that, sorry.

Anyway I've found out since that XTZ is being run down. Founder very ill, bankrupt etc.

Slyman

Why not the Wharfedale Diamond Linton 85th Edition? Getting praises i'm almost buying them myself if i had the cash.

OP
mvnchies

mvnchies

Why not the Wharfedale Diamond Linton 85th Edition? Getting praises i'm almost buying them myself if i had the cash.
I was considering them, but I am kind of bummed out they charge 500 for the stands... and I think they ones I ended up choosing just are a better size for my room.

D

Deleted member 48726

I have had a couple of System Audio towers. System Audio is a Danish high quality loudspeaker manufacturer and makes high and slim towers with multiple drivers. Mine was the top of the line years ago and have seven drivers in each tower of which four are bass. They can play loud and the bass can be felt physically in the chest. They do need a serious amplifier though.

SA-mantra-70-8-1024x512.jpg

AlexanderM

I have had a couple of System Audio towers. System Audio is a Danish high quality loudspeaker manufacturer and makes high and slim towers with multiple drivers. Mine was the top of the line years ago and have seven drivers in each tower of which four are bass. They can play loud and the bass can be felt physically in the chest. They do need a serious amplifier though.

SA-mantra-70-8-1024x512.jpg
I can't find these in Canada, goggled and no dealers came up.

Top Bottom