• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
I wonder whether your recent posts about the poor being seriously malnourished and suffering from hypothermia and living in extreme poverty are driven by your increased energy bill.

We have had no comparable increase in our energy bills. I think your complaint should be directed at your own government not at the worldwide push to develop more renewable energy capacity.

For the record, very few of the people whom I know who want to do their part tof address climate change are rich. I understand that you are upset about the steep rise in your energy bill, but your dismissing everyone who cares as idealists or rich people is an ugly way of expressing your unhappiness.
Some have to prioritise where are money goes, a concept you seem to have difficult understanding. Not dismissing anyone’s concerns we all are worried about polluting our planet. As I’ve said before any improvements have to be affordable to all.
Your energy bills haven’t increased above what would be considered acceptable? Think you must live in an igloo in the frozen North?

Old Listener

Some have to prioritise where are money goes, a concept you seem to have difficult understanding. Not dismissing anyone’s concerns we all are worried about polluting our planet. As I’ve said before any improvements have to be affordable to all.
Your energy bills haven’t increased above what would be considered acceptable? Think you must live in an igloo in the frozen North?
I see nothing in my previous post that would warrant your flinging an insult.

Our summer energy bills reman low but winter bills rose by about $ 50 / month last winter.

Neither prices for energy sources like natural gas, oil and coal nor the effect of weather on energy use can be controlled by your or my sense of affordable levels.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
I wonder whether your recent posts about the poor being seriously malnourished and suffering from hypothermia and living in extreme poverty are driven by your increased energy bill.

We have had no comparable increase in our energy bills. I think your complaint should be directed at your own government not at the worldwide push to develop more renewable energy capacity.

For the record, very few of the people whom I know who want to do their part tof address climate change are rich. I understand that you are upset about the steep rise in your energy bill, but your dismissing everyone who cares as idealists or rich people is an ugly way of expressing your unhappiness.
My recent posts are based on my experiences as a child, my current circumstances are comfortable.
Worldwide energy prices are rising steeply don’t know how much control any Government has? We don’t have a gas shortage here they are exporting large quantities of gas from the UK. We live in a globalised economic World and products are sold to the highest bidder. In the UK Norway is a major gas supplier, the UK energy companies work on fixed price long term contracts buying cheaply and raking in the profits selling on. As someone from the US pointed out Europe including the UK sit on huge gas reserves, yet import vast quantities, quite often claiming they are preventing extraction to protect the environment. We really need to focus more on the consumer as well as the generation source. We all like to pass the buck and condemn our politicians yet we are the real problem.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yet we are the real problem.
Over population of the planet by people, pets and livestock and living on borrowed time with fossil fuels, inefficient devices, wasteful consumption and fertilizers.

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This TED Talks is done by environmental peacemaking expert Olivia Lazard and the talk is called, "The blind spots of the green energy transition."
It details the quest for raw materials, how some suffer and that this will cause global instability and how to make it so it is the least damaging or so it goes. (Note: There are guffaws in the video that indicate bias.)

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
New motor vehicle registrations from Statistics Canada.
I can only guess that the category of, "Other fuel types" is maybe Hydrogen.
zzzzzzzz sales of vehicles.png

bt3

If proposed bill eventually gets signed that provides Americans a decent tax incentive for purchase of qualified EV, I would consider that one part of the puzzle for a possible near future purchase. My Subaru Forester is eighteen years old and the mileage is very high. I research all larger purchases and justifications as thoroughly as I can. Hopefully I am far from typical in that. I have doubts that EVs at the current rate of sales, really are doing much positively for the environment given the urgent nature of the environmental issues we face in years ahead. Have read as many well written and researched articles I can get my hands on, have looked into the impacts that EV parts sourcing and manufacturing and their effects on the environment have, and cannot come to anything close to a consensus opinion in order to make a purchase decision. The current charging network for most EV's is thin, and likely potential EV buyers live in types of housing that do not allow installation of charging near their dwelling. A second hand Nissan Leaf or other "affordable" EV could be attractive purchase for some apartment dwellers if charging was obtainable nearby. When searching for research/studies, I want to see the size of the study. Those responsible for creating/instituting and interpreting the study. We have heard time and time again others say "there's a study that says.." Yeah well, what are the details of the study being referenced? Many mentioning a study have no idea of the research validity of study they reference in casual conversation. Critical thinking is so wanting everywhere. No surprise so many are taken advantage of.
I certainly could not prove it, but think that is so often the case with the most popular new toys, some folks just gotta have it. In not so distant future will not be surprised to see many more Tesla 3's on used call lots. Most gotta have-it's soon enough become gotta sell-it's.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If proposed bill eventually gets signed that provides Americans a decent tax incentive for purchase of qualified EV, I would consider that one part of the puzzle for a possible near future purchase. My Subaru Forester is eighteen years old and the mileage is very high. I research all larger purchases and justifications as thoroughly as I can. Hopefully I am far from typical in that. I have doubts that EVs at the current rate of sales, really are doing much positively for the environment given the urgent nature of the environmental issues we face in years ahead. Have read as many well written and researched articles I can get my hands on, have looked into the impacts that EV parts sourcing and manufacturing and their effects on the environment have, and cannot come to anything close to a consensus opinion in order to make a purchase decision. The current charging network for most EV's is thin, and likely potential EV buyers live in types of housing that do not allow installation of charging near their dwelling. A second hand Nissan Leaf or other "affordable" EV could be attractive purchase for some apartment dwellers if charging was obtainable nearby. When searching for research/studies, I want to see the size of the study. Those responsible for creating/instituting and interpreting the study. We have heard time and time again others say "there's a study that says.." Yeah well, what are the details of the study being referenced? Many mentioning a study have no idea of the research validity of study they reference in casual conversation. Critical thinking is so wanting everywhere. No surprise so many are taken advantage of.
I certainly could not prove it, but think that is so often the case with the most popular new toys, some folks just gotta have it. In not so distant future will not be surprised to see many more Tesla 3's on used call lots. Most gotta have-it's soon enough become gotta sell-it's.
I think you have this wrong. Knowing some Tesla owners they like their cars better than they expected. There is no indication you will see a glut of used Tesla cars in the foreseeable future. The only ev glut is for Leafs because they were a particularly poor design. Even the fire prone Bolt seems to satisfy the owners.

bt3

I think you have this wrong. Knowing some Tesla owners they like their cars better than they expected. There is no indication you will see a glut of used Tesla cars in the foreseeable future. The only ev glut is for Leafs because they were a particularly poor design. Even the fire prone Bolt seems to satisfy the owners.
Tesla sells like hotcakes now but this to shall pass as more EV's hit the market offering better value for less financially plump purchasers. I'm speculating here, as no one can say what the future holds with certainty. Nissan Leafs are popular around my area as second vehicles for local schleps. Parents love 'em as first car for their children. I know nothing about Leaf design flaws, but performance-oriented auto buyers aren't their niche. I admit a prejudice with Tesla, that being I find Elon Musk one of the most obnoxious people hogging media attention these days. That and his past associations with PayPal and on-his-own-pedestal Mr.Thiel and others who have their noses in the air thinking they are so much more enlightened than the 99% of everyone else. May they enjoy their far-flung safe homes from future domestic turmoil they speculate about. Even if I had the dosh to splash on a Tesla that can or cannot make farting sounds, I would not.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tesla sells like hotcakes now but this to shall pass as more EV's hit the market offering better value for less financially plump purchasers. I'm speculating here, as no one can say what the future holds with certainty. Nissan Leafs are popular around my area as second vehicles for local schleps. Parents love 'em as first car for their children. I know nothing about Leaf design flaws, but performance-oriented auto buyers aren't their niche. I admit a prejudice with Tesla, that being I find Elon Musk one of the most obnoxious people hogging media attention these days. That and his past associations with PayPal and on-his-own-pedestal Mr.Thiel and others who have their noses in the air thinking they are so much more enlightened than the 99% of everyone else. May they enjoy their far-flung safe homes from future domestic turmoil they speculate about. Even if I had the dosh to splash on a Tesla that can or cannot make farting sounds, I would not.
So you mainly don't like Musk. PayPal actually was alright until Musk sold it. Early Leafs didn't manage the batteries so they started with minimal range which rapidly deteriorated. No thermal management of batteries is a stunning design flaw. Making them a very poor deal even at low cost both financially and environmentally.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Over population of the planet by people, pets and livestock and living on borrowed time with fossil fuels, inefficient devices, wasteful consumption and fertilizers.
The question of over population too often goes unmentioned. It is the major underlying factor to greenhouse gas, environmental pollution of every sort, and wildlife habitat lose. However on many circles it's not politically correct to discuss population growth restriction options.'

As it stands -- even apart from the global warming -- it there are simply not the resources in the world to bring 8 billion people up to the standard enjoyed by the most advance countries

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The question of over population too often goes unmentioned. It is the major underlying factor to greenhouse gas, environmental pollution of every sort, and wildlife habitat lose.

As it stands -- even apart from the global warming -- it there are simply not the resources in the world to bring 8 billion people up to the standard enjoyed by the most advance countries
Things are improving.

20 years ago the estimate to give the whole world an American standard of living was 7 earth's worth of resources. Now a recent estimate said 5 earths would do the trick.

bt3

So you mainly don't like Musk. PayPal actually was alright until Musk sold it. Early Leafs didn't manage the batteries so they started with minimal range which rapidly deteriorated. No thermal management of batteries is a stunning design flaw. Making them a very poor deal even at low cost both financially and environmentally .
"No thermal management of batteries is a stunning design flaw."
Thanks for mentioning. Was not aware of this. Will investigate further.

Last edited:

bt3

The question of over population too often goes unmentioned. It is the major underlying factor to greenhouse gas, environmental pollution of every sort, and wildlife habitat lose. However on many circles it not politically correct to discuss population growth restriction options.

Back in my high school days a long time ago (v; there was discussion in social studies class about Thomas Malthus theories. I remember that along with Earth Day and Transcendental Meditation, bell bottoms and George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh. Guessing most students back then had other things on their minds than population control, but now they're old boomers staring down climate change, hostile Russia supplying much of the fertilizer to the world and of course the recent overturn of Roe v. Wade.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
"No thermal management of batteries is a stunning design flaw."
Thanks for mentioning. Was not aware of this. Will investigate this further.

This was mainly an issue in hot climates. Leafs did pretty well in PNW for example. They also revised the battery in 2015 (?) and onward, that new battery was much more stable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom