• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L50 - too hot during normal operation?

KomoGomolaa

Hello, today after casual listening with my LCD-X, i've discovered that the case of my Topping L50 is a bit hot to the touch.
Anybody noticed this? Is this perfectly normal?

Bleib

Major Contributor
My previous L30 (v1) was the same. Seems normal.

OP
K

KomoGomolaa

Thanks. I've been specifically asking about the L50, not sure if they both (L50+L30) share the same NFCA circuit.

But I've just read somewhere on the net that A30 Pro is also hot to the touch. So maybe that's how Topping's headamp implementation works.

But still wondering if this can somehow impact longevity of the amplifier in the longer run.

b7676

Mine is on a lot, it only gets from warm to hot when the air temp is high (83 F) and the air is stagnant.

If the component is heat soaking regularly to hot i would consider moving the unit to a spot where passive convection currents can be stronger. Or if you have high ambient get some amount of air movement going in the room.

Bleib

Major Contributor
It can also help to allow some air underneath it..

OP
K

KomoGomolaa

Thanks all for your replies. I am using it stacked with E50, with L50 being on top, all under a monitor stand where now there is very little headroom for any ventilation, which could be the reason, since i've been using the new monitor stand for only the last week on my desk. Have never noticed it this warm (hot?) before, sure, it was always stacked but there was nothing above it. Will try to rearrange it and report back. I've also contacted Topping service just to know.

tiramisu

My L50 is has just enough heat that my hands can feel the warmth but barely.

OP
K

KomoGomolaa

Okay, so I've measured the temperature of the L50 case and it's constantly between 40-42 degrees Celsius, so that's probably fine. Topping Support also replied in a similar manner. So it's not an issue at all.

Synrgy87

My L50 gets very hot, (A30 arrived this morning and it also gets hot but is vented and has an internal power supply) The ST MCU chip inside the L50 is rated for 85c, so heat buildup probably isn't good for them.

The more compact Topping units like to get a bit toasty, I think this is normal albeit a bit concerning regarding longevity.

OP
K

KomoGomolaa

I originally thought it was really hot to touch subjectively, but I had used a professional grade thermometer several times to measure it and it's a constant 40-42 degrees Celsius on the L50 alu case, which is just above my room ambient temperature (currently sits between 24-26 degrees Celsius).

So I'm definitely not going to worry anymore and will be enjoying my wonderful L50+E50 combo 'till it lasts ;-)

Top Bottom