• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 28 7.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 314 86.5%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
Specifically the A90 Discrete, which I consider superior to the A90 has:
#1 Better current delivery to low impedance headphones.
#2 Better Voltage swing/slew rate
Both A90 and A90D have identical max output voltage of 49Vpp.
The A90D can deliver more current into low impedaces though

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

At first I took this as sarcasm, but it does actually look like a distortion spike at 60Hz from a noisy power implementation in the V2.

The original L30 doesn't have this spike and is cleaner with no spikes above -120:
index.php
We don't see that in dashboard do we? It's also not present in our own multitone measurements. The power supply unit and internal circuit for the power supply are exactly the same as the L30.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Curious for a teardown, how are they bashing around the competition so badly for so little money? If it were easy, everybody would do it - what is going on in that little box?
It's all in the thoughtful design and careful engineering. While someone else indeed could and would direct copy that design.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@amirm & all: In the Distortion vs Power graphs, am I reading it right that medium gain has lower distortion?! If so, how does the 50mv test compare in medium gain (vs the reported in low)?

Superb product! @JohnYang1997 My only problem with Topping (in a good way) is they keep 1-upping their previous products so I keep waiting to buy so I don't miss out. ;) LOL

GWolfman

Forum Donor
So I could buy these, come up with a silly name, stick it in a case with sharp edges, lots of screws, and silly controls and sell them for $14k?
Don't forget the blinky colored orbs!

Last edited:

Here2Learn

@amirm /anybody...

Why might there be a 60Hz distortion spike in the first unity gain THD+N/SINAD graph at about -138db, but appear at about -105db on the 32 tone test? Is the 32 tone test at a different gain setting?

(I know the 60Hz spike in both is mains power related, but wondering about the magnitude of difference for these two tests)

BR52

@amirm /anybody...

Why might there be a 60Hz distortion spike in the first unity gain THD+N/SINAD graph at about -138db, but appear at about -105db on the 32 tone test? Is the 32 tone test at a different gain setting?

(I know the 60Hz spike in both is mains power related, but wondering about the magnitude of difference for these two tests)
medium gain vs unity in the 2.

Here2Learn

medium gain vs unity in the 2.
So, is this power spike borderline audible at medium gain? And is the SINAD at medium gain different to unity gain? I mean, isn't the SINAD anybody truly interested in going to be the one at the gain setting they will use the device at? (yes, I know we need to compare on a standardized footing, but I'm thinking it means little if nobody or few people are ever going to use the device at a setting used for comparison).

Not nitpicking - genuinely wanting to know.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So, is this power spike borderline audible at medium gain? And is the SINAD at medium gain different to unity gain? I mean, isn't the SINAD anybody truly interested in going to be the one at the gain setting they will use the device at? (yes, I know we need to compare on a standardized footing, but I'm thinking it means little if nobody or few people are ever going to use the device at a setting used for comparison).

Not nitpicking - genuinely wanting to know.
The noise spikes shouldn't be there. Might have to ask Amir for investigation.

cheapmessiah

This looks like extreme performance for the price, doesnt it go into the market of the L50 and A30pro?

Suppa92

million taps better than..............
Good work Topping...

Labjr

Major Contributor
Good review. You need to stop feeding the panthers McDonalds food.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can imagine the outrage right now in certain corners of the internet: "You don't expect me to believe that a $149 ChiFi amp the size of a MacMini outperforms my $5k+ fill-in-the-blank (but looking at you Chord) Summit Fi headphone amp, just because it betters it in every single measurable, do you?"

Top Bottom