• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
sorry im a noob, but how did you connect your sub? iirc, the topping doesn't have a sub-out

It's a professional oriented sub so it has a High Pass filter unlike normal subs. In that case you connect the DAC to sub first then sub passes higher frequencies above the selected cutoff frequency to the monitors. Consumer subs you would need to have a sub out instead aside from the pre out

SlamTaz

It's a professional oriented sub so it has a High Pass filter unlike normal subs. In that case you connect the DAC to sub first then sub passes higher frequencies above the selected cutoff frequency to the monitors. Consumer subs you would need to have a sub out instead aside from the pre out
i totally forgot about those filters which, like you said, not all subs have it. thanks, much appreciated.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I recently picked up an SVS SB2000, partly because it has a similar high pass filter built in, although it is fixed at 80 Hz, but it works for my needs.

tvih

Topping DX3 Pro+ for headphones (AKG K702). Topping TP30 via its own built-in DAC for Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers.

But changes are coming. Topping PA3s is on order for speaker amp duty, and will try to integrate a 10" DIY subwoofer. That means using motherboard analog audio to get the crossover and EQ right. Luckily my new motherboard's audio is much better than the previous one's. Though when not using the sub I'll use the DX3 as DAC via the secondary input.

Placing the sub will pose a slight challenge as it's a ported box and thus bigger than my main system's 10" sealed one, but hopefully it'll help with some of the <80 Hz bass nulling at my desktop sitting location. Not sure exactly how low it'll reasonably go - I made it about 20 years ago but it's never been measured or anything, and I can't remember what frequency it is tuned to. I guess I will find out in about two weeks when I get it back from my brother who has had it for the past 13-14 years or so.

movehome

Here's mine. Topping DX3 Pro+, Hifiman HE400I, Edifier 1280T EQ'd with Roon. The speakers are fine but I'm looking into upgrading to the Genelec 3010's which should be perfect for my small space and medium-lowish volume listening.

Listening to Sophie Zelmani "Everywhere - Charlotte by the Shore."

20220713_170740.jpg

ascl

Focal CMS 65's connected to my PC via an RME Fireface UCX, also a violectric headphone amp w/ Hifiman 560's. I am thinking of adding a sub, maybe a SVS Micro 3000 (but am not sure yet). Don't have a lot of space, so any sub would have to be pretty small.

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Finally have my office system together.

Pair of 8030C's on stands, with signal coming from my MBP to RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Using ZeroTier (https://www.zerotier.com/) I can connect to my Roon Server at home and stream without any problems.

Main screen is Dell Workstation running Windows 10 and used for CAD. Background was our last vacation, pre-Covid.

Mouse and keyboard are shared between the two of them using Synergy (https://symless.com/synergy/features)

383642B7-D789-44FB-A114-CCCFF05F1B78_1_102_o.jpeg

Very happy with it all, and no upgrades planned.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Pair of 8030C's on stands, with signal coming from my MBP to RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Using ZeroTier (https://www.zerotier.com/) I can connect to my Roon Server at home and stream without any problems.

Main screen is Dell Workstation running Windows 10 and used for CAD. Background was our last vacation, pre-Covid.

Mouse and keyboard are shared between the two of them using Synergy (https://symless.com/synergy/features)

View attachment 219836

I'm guessing that desktop background is St Lucia. Great desk! I like the angularity of the station. That makes for some good reach across the desk. Where's the headphones?

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
I'm guessing that desktop background is St Lucia. Great desk! I like the angularity of the station. That makes for some good reach across the desk. Where's the headphones?
It is St Lucia - well guessed. It was a lovely vacation, not too buggy, amazing views. We even did a helicopter tour of the island.

The angularity of the desk is nice - makes everything very reachable. It's meant to be a pod of three desks that all fit around a central column, but I have my own office so only need one (our dog is too old for daycare - 15 1/2 - so I take him with me to work). The central column also makes it easy to level as there are only three 'legs'.

Headphones - DCA Aeon2 Open via TCA HPA10 and Topping DAC - are in my home office as I share the space with my wife. About five years ago I built it out with two desks, and it's been great having that space so we can both work from home now. I have the same KVM software running and share a mouse between two Apple desktops and a PC for CAD. Also have two 3D printers in there.

Home Office main audio is Roon > Node > Cambridge Amp > B&W speakers. I purchased that setup about 2 years ago, but wasn't happy with the sound which got me onto this site.

Trell

Major Contributor

View attachment 219836

Nice setup!

Are the monitor stands the ones from Genelec? On my 8330A I screwed of the monitors ISO-pods as they are not needed with the Genelec L-stands.

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Nice setup!

Are the monitor stands the ones from Genelec? On my 8330A I screwed of the monitors ISO-pods as they are not needed with the Genelec L-stands.
They are the Genelec ones (8000-323B from Dale Audio). I left the ISO-pods on as otherwise I would probably lose them

wacomme

4147657C-59CF-4D65-8E3E-573872A116BE_1_105_c.jpeg

Speakers: ADAM T5V on 5 degree foam blocks
AMP: Topping L50
DAC: SMSL DO100
Headphones: HiFiMan Sundara with 20' Hart cable so I can listen from bed (office/spare bedroom). You can barely see them hanging from hook right lower corner of photo.
M1 MacBook Air - off to right out of picture (you can see the Thunderbolt 4 cable going to computer).

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
This is a lovely thread with many great desk setups. Achieving good sound does not need to be expensive.
Here is my desk setup (the three IEMs are from left to right: IE 300, CX 300S, Samsung AKG):
desk setup_20220731.jpg

Powerpoint illustration:

The desk setup's component list:
desk setup_component list_20220731.jpg

desk setup_v 10.jpg

I love the Sennheiser HD 800 S! Currently looking for a great amplifier to drive it.

The headphone stand is extremely cheap, but good. It can be bought here.

I have commented on my headphone and IEMs here (post #2023).

My living room setup is shown here (post #781).

Last edited:

fatnoah

PXL_20220801_190714626.MP.jpg

I was forced to move to the basement last week, so the desk just got set up. Cable-management is still a work in progress. On desk and behind desk are complete, but left and right sides aren't there yet. A complicating factor is that this is a standing desk, so anything going from wall/ground to the desk needs enough slack to accommodate multiple daily changes in position. Further complicating things is that I share two monitors and 4+ USB peripherals between my home desktop PC and work Mac.

Equipment is:
Speakers: KEF R3 on IsoAcoustics stands + KC62 under the desk. (Speakers were originally on my desk with the isoAcoustics, but took up too much space). I push them back and toe them in when listening at the desk and they sound great. I move back to the couch where I took the picture from for more critical listening. Floor tiles are 13" squares, so couch & speakers form a roughly 7.5' equilateral triangle.
Power Amplifier: NAC C268
DAC/headphone: RME ADI-2 DAC FS with Beyer T1.2 for work/music and Astro Mix-Amp with A40 for games. These are hiding behind the chair.

04gto

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
In my signature. The radical difference maker was Dirac. If you don't have it, get it.

Edit: And I would add that I am frankly amazed by what Dirac did to a pair of inexpensive full range speakers (3") and a $99 Dayton sub.

Last edited:
Top Bottom