• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beta Test: Multitone Loopback Analyzer software

Sokel

Master Contributor
I feel it's slipping away, but I'm still trying for that raise... ;) Here's the updated version 1.0.24. Please check your WASAPI Exclusive setting, as the meaning has changed. If a driver supports less than 24 bits in exclusive mode, a warning will be displayed. Let me know if you can get it to work with more than 16 bits in exclusive mode!

Changes in 1.0.24

• Fix & Change: WASAPI Shared mode setting renamed to WASAPI Exclusive. The meaning was previously swapped
  • Fix: Some ASIO drivers couldn’t be mixed with WASAPI or other ASIO drivers because each driver tried to open channels for input and output
View attachment 219800
No glitches at all in 1.0.24.
Well done!

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not the most important thing but the preview window is acting strangely since around 1.0.22 version
I sometimes gets a lot of distorsion jumps, especially once the averaging begins, but the good thing is that it's not appearing in the final result.
The fundamental is also wider from the base, but once in the result window, it's a clean line

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not the most important thing but the preview window is acting strangely since around 1.0.22 version
I sometimes gets a lot of distorsion jumps, especially once the averaging begins, but the good thing is that it's not appearing in the final result.
The fundamental is also wider from the base, but once in the result window, it's a clean line

Yes, the preview window was "deprioritized" in favor of supporting higher sampling rates on slower computers :) It is now updating at much slower rates, and I've decreased FFT size to 4096 from 16k, which lowered the resolution of the preview window.

Grooved

Yes, the preview window was "deprioritized" in favor of supporting higher sampling rates on slower computers :) It is now updating at much slower rates, and I've decreased FFT size to 4096 from 16k, which lowered the resolution of the preview window.
Thanks @pkane !

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This turned out to be even more painful than I anticipated, but I believe WASAPI exclusive mode should now work correctly at more than 16 bits/sample with drivers that support it. I've tested it with four WASAPI drivers, hopefully you can help test with some others. Windows audio is a mess, and unfortunately, the audio library I'm using made it even more difficult.

Changes in Multitone 1.0.25

• Fix: WASAPI Exclusive mode now works with the best available bit setting (previously only supported 16 bits)

Sokel

Master Contributor
Doesn't work for me.The interesting thing is mixing them so I get this:
mix.PNG

Following...

mix2.PNG

If I twist them I get this:
mix3.PNG

I hope something of the above is useful.
ASIO works great!

Sokel

Master Contributor
Are you sure your device supports being used through ASIO and WDM at the same time? I would be surprised if it did.
No,not sure at all,you're right.
ASIO works great,WASAPI shared too with some -10db better noise.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No,not sure at all,you're right.
ASIO works great,WASAPI shared too with some -10db better noise.

Device in use is an error from the driver. Either you have some other software using the driver already or the driver doesn’t support mixing two exclusive modes modes, which is likely the problem.

bennetng

Major Contributor
10 years old driver,is a miracle that even works!:facepalm:
The PCI versions of EMU interfaces have hardware DSP and CPLD (similar to FPGA, but simpler) to achieve true multiclient operation. The USB ones on the other hand don't. It is not only a driver limitation, but also hardware limitation.

Sokel

Master Contributor

Sokel

Master Contributor
At last I got the WASAPI (shared) fixed and was able to replicate the measurement of ASIO at the same level.

wasapi proper.PNG

I was all about a silly connection to the balanced E-MU input,for a unbalanced output I should only have the tip and the ring connected in the balanced E-MU input.

I think I'm ready to measure people's stuff :cool::facepalm:.

Grooved

Just did a digital loopback test with Hi-Fi Cable and it works via WASAPI Shared, but not via WASAPI Exclusive

WASAPI Shared:
MT_1.0.25 1kHz -1dB 8avg - WASAPI Shared Hi-Fi Cable 192kHz.PNG

WASAPI Exclusive:
MT_1.0.25 1kHz -1dB 8avg - WASAPI Exclusive Hi-Fi Cable 192kHz.PNG

After that, I tested with FLEXASIO (ASIO between Multitone and FLEXASIO) and in FLEXASIO, I set WASAPI for Hi-Fi Cable: it works for both Shared and Exclusive, but Shared gives a better result than Exclusive (not buffer related as I get the exact same result with 64 or 2048 buffer)

FLEXASIO + WASAPI Shared Hi-Fi Cable:
MT_1.0.25 1kHz -1dB 8avg - FLEXASIO WASAPI Shared Hi-Fi Cable 192kHz.PNG

FLEXASIO + WASAPI Exclusive Hi-Fi Cable:
MT_1.0.25 1kHz -1dB 8avg - FLEXASIO WASAPI ExclusiveI Hi-Fi Cable 192kHz.PNG

Last edited:

bennetng

Major Contributor
My results. Digital loopback going through the Creative hardware mixer (What U Hear) and therefore not 100% clean.

ASIO
asio.png

Exclusive, @pkane how about showing "exclusive" and "shared" in the drop down menu so that others don't need to mention it? Also eliminates the need to open the setting dialog.
exclusive.png

Shared
shared.png

For DS, I don't know, it doesn't work at all, including the Realtek with stock MS driver
realtek ds.png

bennetng

Major Contributor
At last I got the WASAPI (shared) fixed and was able to replicate the measurement of ASIO at the same level.

View attachment 220174

I was all about a silly connection to the balanced E-MU input,for a unbalanced output I should only have the tip and the ring connected in the balanced E-MU input.

I think I'm ready to measure people's stuff :cool::facepalm:.
The result is close enough to EMU's marketing material with RMAA tutorial (check attachment), indicating healthy hardware and decent driver.

Attachments

• 0204 Review Guide.zip
    537.8 KB · Views: 41
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just did a digital loopback test with Hi-Fi Cable and it works via WASAPI Shared, but not via WASAPI Exclusive

WASAPI Shared:
View attachment 220200

WASAPI Exclusive:
View attachment 220202

After that, I tested with FLEXASIO (ASIO between Multitone and FLEXASIO) and in FLEXASIO, I set WASAPI for Hi-Fi Cable: it works for both Shared and Exclusive, but Shared gives a better result than Exclusive (not buffer related as I get the exact same result with 64 or 2048 buffer)

FLEXASIO + WASAPI Shared Hi-Fi Cable:
View attachment 220204

FLEXASIO + WASAPI Exclusive Hi-Fi Cable:
View attachment 220205

Did you try to lower the gain for the clipping in exclusive mode? There are differences in driver processing between exclusive and shared modes.

Sokel

Master Contributor
The result is close enough to EMU's marketing material with RMAA tutorial (check attachment), indicating healthy hardware and decent driver.
I know!This way I understand I do it right.
That's from my manual:

E-MU Man.PNG

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My results. Digital loopback going through the Creative hardware mixer (What U Hear) and therefore not 100% clean.

ASIO
View attachment 220206

Exclusive, @pkane how about showing "exclusive" and "shared" in the drop down menu so that others don't need to mention it? Also eliminates the need to open the setting dialog.
View attachment 220208

Shared
View attachment 220209

For DS, I don't know, it doesn't work at all, including the Realtek with stock MS driver
View attachment 220210
Yeah, not sure about Direct Sound recording. I'll need to do some more testing on that, playback should still work. I'll do some testing.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, not sure about Direct Sound recording. I'll need to do some more testing on that, playback should still work. I'll do some testing.

Sorry about all the recent updates, but with your testing Multitone is becoming much more complete and stable app :)

I've fixed the issue with Direct Sound drivers (it was mostly with the output driver, not the recorder) - @bennetng .
Seems to work as expected in my testing, and behaves nearly exactly the same as WASAPI shared mode driver: version 1.0.26

Changes in 1.0.26

• Fix: Direct Sound driver selector broken in recent updates

Top Bottom