• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 241 75.8%

• Total voters

sseppala

Forum Donor
I can confirm the default is -30db through boot, power loss and reset (more on why I had to reset the unit later).
Thanks for the information on the default volume setting @dartinbout, but could you also confirm what happens to the custom volume setting (ie. -15db) in case of boot or power loss, is the custom setting retained, or does it revert to the default -30dB volume.

MacCali

Major Contributor
And thank goodness!

Folks who want fewer channels have plenty of options. Per ASR review index, Amir has recommended at least a dozen stereo DACs under $300 in the last year alone. Not reviewed - recommended.
I own those dacs o)

MacCali

Major Contributor
My responses are for the benefit of other members so that they do not mislead by your comments.
Very much respect that, my intention was never to steer anyone away. As mentioned in my previous post I’ve had topping dacs and I did purchase them because of Amir.

From my starting comment, I feel like the simplest way to use are the first two options. I do see now there are more options available but takes a bit of tinkering.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Went out to a great Italian dinner tonight with a Negroni to start and then split a bottle of wine, so take my queries with appropriate skepticism. I know you more sophisticated multichannel guys have software programs on your enhanced Windows/Mac computers, and that software can redirect channel mapping appropriately. If I want to use the DM7 with all my multichannel files and basic ROON processing, how often do you think I will get inappropriate/inadequate channel mapping configurations? After all, this is just a basic 8-channel DAC with no added DSP abilities (except for native DSD [.dsf] conversion; and, BTW, does anybody know if this unit can process .dff files?).

I believe I've encountered reports where there has not been universal convention in channel-mapping schemes with multichannel music files ;). In fact, I just read of issues with this and the Okto Dac8 Pro. I know this is a very basic multichannel DAC (and kudos to Topping), but are we going to have to use high-powered PCs with appropriate operating systems & software (and not our ROCK NUCs) to get the best out of this component? Just an honest inquiry, 'cuz I really want to pull the trigger on this unit.
This is not a problem. There may be some initial fiddling to get it right but, once you do, it just works.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thank you! - exactly the kind of reassurance I was looking for. Can't remember exactly where I read of this (Okto issue), but I think it was just yesterday. I believe it was in response to one of Kal's posts on another site [maybe a UK site?]. It's a little late tonight; I'll search for it tomorrow.
Yes. I have found that, in some cases, it was necessary to set the output format to 7.1 (instead of 5.1) for my 5.1 system in order to get proper mapping. If so, done once.

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just curious @Kal Rubinson why you've picked up this unit when you already have a Okto 8ch unit?

Hannibal

Went out to a great Italian dinner tonight with a Negroni to start and then split a bottle of wine, so take my queries with appropriate skepticism. I know you more sophisticated multichannel guys have software programs on your enhanced Windows/Mac computers, and that software can redirect channel mapping appropriately. If I want to use the DM7 with all my multichannel files and basic ROON processing, how often do you think I will get inappropriate/inadequate channel mapping configurations? After all, this is just a basic 8-channel DAC with no added DSP abilities (except for native DSD [.dsf] conversion; and, BTW, does anybody know if this unit can process .dff files?).

I believe I've encountered reports where there has not been universal convention in channel-mapping schemes with multichannel music files ;). In fact, I just read of issues with this and the Okto Dac8 Pro. I know this is a very basic multichannel DAC (and kudos to Topping), but are we going to have to use high-powered PCs with appropriate operating systems & software (and not our ROCK NUCs) to get the best out of this component? Just an honest inquiry, 'cuz I really want to pull the trigger on this unit.
I can't comment on anything else but Negroni is a great entry.
I hope you'll excuse me for my useless message.

edechamps

Forum Donor
I can confirm this Dac works as a 7.1 (8 Channel) in Rooopie and Roon Rock

Thanks! Did you have to install any special driver or does 7.1 work with the standard generic USB Audio Class 2 driver? Topping's website seems to suggest a driver is required for multichannel to work.

dartinbout

I now have two Toppings. The DX7 Pro and now the DM7. In both cases, Windows 10 recognized them but limited their functionality without the provided Topping drivers. The DM7 would not function without the driver. This may be because I had the Topping driver installed for the DX7 Pro. I highly encourage the use of the Topping ASIO drivers to achieve the full functionality. Anything else and you are just trying to play Legos with 9v batteries. If you are trying to get this to work on a DEC, NeXT, Amiga or a PC Jr. I would re-think your life choices. Also, I would rule out amps without XLR connections. My powered RCA subwoofer is barking at me every time I power cycle the DM7. The other 7 channels are fine.

da Choge

Forum Donor
You're obviously using this with a Linux-based streaming system - any issues with playback? I would think that this DAC would function with Linux without the use of any additional drivers, but I am anxious to hear about your experience with the DM7 once you've had a chance to play with it for a while!

Last edited:

AudioJester

Forum Donor
I now have two Toppings. The DX7 Pro and now the DM7. In both cases, Windows 10 recognized them but limited their functionality without the provided Topping drivers. The DM7 would not function without the driver. This may be because I had the Topping driver installed for the DX7 Pro. I highly encourage the use of the Topping ASIO drivers to achieve the full functionality. Anything else and you are just trying to play Legos with 9v batteries. If you are trying to get this to work on a DEC, NeXT, Amiga or a PC Jr. I would re-think your life choices. Also, I would rule out amps without XLR connections. My powered RCA subwoofer is barking at me every time I power cycle the DM7. The other 7 channels are fine.

Never used one, but I have seen xlr to rca coverter boxes. Not sure of the tech/engineering but may be worth looking into as they are relatively cheap.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the remote volume control work with Roon's volume control? Meaning that if you change the remote volume it will also change the slider volume within Roon.

So you're using Roon Rock on NUC to RoPieeXL?

Also, how do you adjust channel gain for each output on the dac?

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Can you also please try DietPi ?

At least will tell us if DietPi kernel is good enough, for those of us not tied to Roon.

You can enable Roon Bridge in DietPi for testing with Roon

Drengur

Forum Donor
Anything else and you are just trying to play Legos with 9v batteries. If you are trying to get this to work on a DEC, NeXT, Amiga or a PC Jr. I would re-think your life choices.
Could you please test this on a VAX-11.

Reactions: mkt

dartinbout

Could you please test this on a VAX-11.
It works but it won't play any music recorded on anything other then 8-tracks.

Top Bottom