• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile's snide editorial on ASR and Amir

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
I read that article and made some of these very same assumptions. Could I be wrong? Maybe.

But it's very hard to take the comments denigrating blind faith in measurements seriously when they take such a casual, unscientific approach to subjective reviews that they are facially invalid. If they start putting something more than blind faith in subjective evaluation--i.e., implement real blind testing, then they can talk. Until then it is just bluster.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
But does it lift veils and create a holographic image?

Imagine that?, the subjectivists finally launch their deep field telescope but are dismayed to find “bob” fitted his preferred kaleidoscope filter.

lc6

The smooth poetic talkers who never in their long lives actually designed, built or measured anything related to audio are throwing darts at those who did because they simply are fighting for survival of their deteriorating business. They claim authority because they listened to a number of systems or talked to many customers at a high-end shop that employed them. They were never formally trained in listening or objectively evaluated as audio critics. The basis of their racket is access to esoteric components mostly of dubious value, the names of which they throw around along with names of their designers to create an aura of exclusivity and snobbery.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I will take my hat off to Stereophile and say thank you. That model no longer works now.

gnarly

I'm a 70 year old audio hound, who's been one from about 5 years old.
Been through so many phases, so much different equipment and speakers.
Had a lengthy spell of high income, the kind that let me get whatever Stereophile and Absolute Sound, etc, listed as highly recommended .
Wasted shit tons of money....never really getting better sound....all lateral moves so to speak.

One of my major steps in achieving genuinely better audio was ditching Stereophile and all similar publications ...totally, and without looking back.
I took to trying to learn basic audio science, and how to apply it. Knowledge proved more valuable than equipment.

f you're still reading those rags, and truly love audio ...I guess it's just something you will eventually learn to grow out of....like i had to...

sam_adams

"But owning an Audio Precision analyzer doesn't make you an expert,. . ."

dudeopinion.jpg

amper42

Major Contributor
Stereophile is one dollar per issue. You get what you pay for and all of it is advertising. Either direct or indirect. :D
It's pretty amazing that the company is still in business.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will not dignify Stereophile by reading their drivel.. I believe ASR rise to preeminence is an existential problem for the HEA Industry. Voices whose credentials are verifiable, and a more and more vocal community, are now heard and command respect... Now the common people/audiophile is slowly at ease to admit they don't hear the differences, better, they are now, daring the subjective audiophiles to show that they can.

The emperor had no clothes, more people are now, in great part thanks to ASR, discovering it.

Peace

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a 70 year old audio hound, who's been one from about 5 years old.
Been through so many phases, so much different equipment and speakers.
Had a lengthy spell of high income, the kind that let me get whatever Stereophile and Absolute Sound, etc, listed as highly recommended .
Wasted shit tons of money....never really getting better sound....all lateral moves so to speak.

One of my major steps in achieving genuinely better audio was ditching Stereophile and all similar publications ...totally, and without looking back.
I took to trying to learn basic audio science, and how to apply it. Knowledge proved more valuable than equipment.

f you're still reading those rags, and truly love audio ...I guess it's just something you will eventually learn to grow out of....like i had to...
Sounds like my audiophile life story as well.

PaulD

It breaks the hifi reviewer's business model, and entire raison d'être, if the reader can make their own judgement based on facts rather than (their) opinions. They *need* to denigrate the likes of Amir and objectivists, it's pathetic. I'm so glad I gave up reading the hifi press decades ago - it's still the same BS I was reading then, nothing has moved in 20-30 years. Yawn. Go Amir and Team Objectivity.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Jim Austin, yeah you're trying to have a go at ASR, yet the below just reflects poorly on you and Stereophile actually... unsure if that was the intent;
...the unguided application of analytical tools can lead you far astray.

Knowing what to measure is critical, and getting to that point is hard work.
There is nothing "unguided" going on here. Oh dear, not the "knowing what to measure" card... are you serious Jim? :facepalm:

JSmith

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

It's great that you finally seemed to find audio happiness! Better late than never!

I love audio and I'm still sometimes reading those mags (usually the online articles). I enjoy it and don't feel the need to "grow out of it." To read those mags isn't to necessarily fall for every single claim their pages. I've been having a ball with audio since the 90's and I'm still loving it. We all have our own paths to our bliss. Glad you finally found yours!

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
"But owning an Audio Precision analyzer doesn't make you an expert,. . ."

View attachment 219239

There is a spark of truth in it, though. ASR needs to be careful to avoid the cargo cult trap. Not everybody donning a lab coat and wielding expensive equipment is a scientist.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There is a spark of truth in it, though. ASR needs to be careful to avoid the cargo cult trap. Not everybody donning a lab coat and wielding expensive equipment is a scientist.
I am not a scientist. I am doing what a reviewer should do in context of testing a technical product. They need to use instrumentation to figure out what it does. Not faulty ears and listening test practices. I have no lab coat, nor will ever wear one. This is simple engineering verification. Please don't elevate it to "science" and then say "it is not science."

I can train a technician to run my tests in a day. Surely he is not doing science. I use science extensively in analysis of said data but again, usage does not equal science.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
This is simple engineering verification. Please don't elevate it to "science" and then say "it is not science."

This wasn’t as much directed at you as to the ASR followership in general. And I totally agree with the above. I’d be happier with “Audio Engineering Review”, because that’s exactly what it is, but ASR is now a household name and not easily abandoned.

I just think that overselling what one does (even just by name) makes the endeavour vulnerable to criticism or ridicule, and this is what people need to keep in mind before ridiculing back.

Audiofire

Forum Donor
What's pathetic is how subjective cult members show their scientific ignorance as clear as day when an attempt at defensive attribution is made with measuring hi-fi equipment, or just knowing what is going on in general.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean this part?

".. Purifi's people are serious engineers, but don't make the mistake of thinking they mindlessly ally themselves with the simple-minded objectivists who populate certain online discussion forums. They understand that science and engineering must be carefully deployed. Members of the Purifi team seemed to me as impatient with measurements-happy reductionists as with the radical antimeasurements crowd .."

To me it means the writer is projecting and thinking he knows what Purifi engineers think. ".. they seemed .." doesn't sound too self-assured, nor does it seem the entire paragraph nails down what the correct position should be - the writer positions himself well out of the supposedly warring factions.
I wonder if Purifi appreciates how many of their amps/modules have been sold based on @amirm 's measurements/reviews...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom