• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch RP-5000F II, RP-6000F II and RP-8000F II reviewed by Erin

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Screenshot_20220719-174004~2.png

Screenshot_20220719-174018~2.png

Screenshot_20220719-174042~3.png

Last edited:

Flak

Industry Insider
It might not apply to others but from my point of view these are very interesting... I'm looking for speakers that can offer the emotional impact of high efficiency/ dynamics and low distortion/ low compression speakers like these:
but at a much lower cost.
At 92 dB as measured by Erin, the RP-8000F II compare well.
As usual, speaker design is a compromise so the extension at low frequencies is limited and they need the support of a subwoofer but I'd use one (or two) anyhow as very few speakers can output the lowest frequencies at mid/high SPL with low distortion.
The irregularities in magnitude response need to be corrected by Dirac Live but the directivity seems to be good, especially on the horizontal plane.
Also, I'd expect that we'd hear less of the room and more of the recording because of the narrow directivity.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It might not apply to others but from my point of view these are very interesting... I'm looking for speakers that can offer the emotional impact of high efficiency/ dynamics and low distortion/ low compression speakers like these:
but at a much lower cost.
At 92 dB as measured by Erin, the RP-8000F II compare well.
As usual, speaker design is a compromise so the extension at low frequencies is limited and they need the support of a subwoofer but I'd use one (or two) anyhow as very few speakers can output the lowest frequencies at mid/high SPL with low distortion.
The irregularities in magnitude response need to be corrected by Dirac Live but the directivity seems to be good, especially on the horizontal plane.
Also, I'd expect that we'd hear less of the room and more of the recording because of the narrow directivity.
Its a good idea, though in my experience one part the sound signature of loudspeakers like JBL 4367 come from the wide baffle and large woofer which bring the baffle step lower and thus also a more constant directivity. For me this is unfortunate as I am also looking for the same type of sound and most affordable modern narrow baffle designs don't have it.

Flak

Industry Insider
Its a good idea, though in my experience one part the sound signature of loudspeakers like JBL 4367 come from the wide baffle and large woofer which bring the baffle step lower and thus also a more constant directivity. For me this is unfortunate as I am also looking for the same type of sound and most affordable modern narrow baffle designs don't have it.
Larger baffle/ woofer but 5.000 US$ per pair vs. 1.800 US$:
and in my biased opinion, a subwoofer and Dirac Live are still needed.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Flak

Industry Insider
Personally I find the current Forte IV too expensive and instead I would look for similar DIY or Pro audio loudspeakers (or even used older ones).
Well... at appx. 5.000 US$ they are three times more expensive than the RP-8000F II at 1.800 US$ per pair but not that expensive if compared with the JBL 4367 at 16.000 US$ :)

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These things can be made to sound very good with some EQ due to good directivity, although you'll lose 3-4 dB of sensitivity doing so. Klipsch are moving in a very nice direction with the cheaper series, hopefully they'll clean their ears enough to provide a flat response next time out.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These things can be made to sound very good with some EQ due to good directivity, although you'll lose 3-4 dB of sensitivity doing so. Klipsch are moving in a very nice direction with the cheaper series, hopefully they'll clean their ears enough to provide a flat response next time out.
That is probably the case, although I wonder why they would shelve down the midbass and bass. It's not just a little either. Seems counterintuitive to selling speakers.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is unfortunate that laws of physics is not accommodating your wish :)

YSC

Major Contributor
is it only me having illusion or what, it seems like it generally have a pretty ok flatness in the FR, but the higher up the line the tilt is futher upward rather than downward, and the 5000f is actually the most neutral one?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
is it only me having illusion or what, it seems like it generally have a pretty ok flatness in the FR, but the higher up the line the tilt is futher upward rather than downward, and the 5000f is actually the most neutral one?
I see what you mean. I'd definitely EQ any of these, but it does get worse. Maybe they were hoping you'd shove them all the way into a corner.

pdfield34

I have to wonder how these would have been touted even just a few years ago. I think "above average acclaim" or "excellent bargain" - "but a tad bright" would have been possible. But today there are so many more options that have been measured. It looks like the in room response only varies by a dB or two from the trend line. Certainly, there may be other issues like bass.

YSC

Major Contributor
I see what you mean. I'd definitely EQ any of these, but it does get worse.
yea, if only the mid-high shelf isn't there it looked like quite great speakers to me, but why it's upward slope, WHYYYY

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yea, if only the mid-high shelf isn't there it looked like quite great speakers to me, but why it's upward slope, WHYYYY
Like Absolute said, it's hardly hopeless. EQ will easily fix it.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is unfortunate that laws of physics is not accommodating your wish :)
:D I have nothing though against the physics and looks of wide baffle implementations, only that they have become very rare and unfortunately also usually expensive in the last decades, which is rather a law of market. :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess is that the EQ’ed preference score will be pretty high. Very nice directivity control!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
:D I have nothing though against the physics and looks of wide baffle implementations, only that they have become very rare and unfortunately also usually expensive in the last decades, which is rather a law of market. :)
It’s the other way round. You said you want narrow baffles but don’t want large baffle effect. That’s not possible due to laws of physics.

Flak

Industry Insider
My guess is that the EQ’ed preference score will be pretty high. Very nice directivity control!
Agreed, IMHO nowadays when EQ is easy to accomplish we shouldn't focus on magnitude response only,
high efficiency, dynamics, low distortion, and low compression are important as well (depending on preferences of course)
Unfortunately, distortion isn't mentioned in the review that is more concise than usual Erin's very complete reviews

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
With today's technology, why are the issues in Klipsch designs still glossed over? Why should we buy Speakers that REQUIRE EQ to fix most of the problems that the company should have flushed out prior to putting into production / bringing to market?

Is it just me, or did they manage to UNDO all they got mostly right(-ish) in the RP8000F? This almost seems like a case of "New and DIS-Improved!"

Wait, I get it! They're in cahoots with DR: They put out flawed designs so he can sell mods to fix them! :p :rolleyes: :p

Top Bottom