• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How does one decode 5.1 without d to a conversion? Kindly link me a device.

Any reasonable video player software (e.g. VLC, MPC+LAV Audio, etc.) or tool (ffmpeg, etc.) will happily decode all known 5.1/7.1 formats including Dolby Digital (AC-3), Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3), TrueHD (MLP), DTS, DTS:X etc. to digital PCM. That's a very basic feature that's been available for many years. The only format that's missing is Atmos (AC-4) but I believe that's being worked on.

Honken

This is a very confusing thread. Obviously the device is meant to be used with a PC, either for multi channel audio or for active XO. Looks to me like Topping made a great device here, kudos. I have no reason to swap out my Okto, but if I ever get a reason to in the future I'll probably spring for this instead, the price and size is attractive to me.

How does one decode 5.1 without d to a conversion? Kindly link me a device.
Your PC can do it, which is what you are supposed to use this device with. FFmpeg has had support for decoding DTS and its various extensions for many years now, and Dolby TrueHD is in the works. AFAIK, it is only Atmos that lacks software support.

Martyreasoner

I just did a bit of research on this and it looks like there are many reasonably priced used Dolby 5.1 decoders. Look up the DP562 for example, here is one for $40 on eBay -> https://www.ebay.com/itm/165353343476?hash=item267fd3c9f4:g:hH4AAOSwr61iFv8B.

Michael
You linked a rather old device that just so happens to be a Dolby branded decoder. I think you proved my point. It's locked down.
I appreciate your snark, but the original question and answer was in reference to toslink from the tv. Dolby has locked down the ability to decode that digital signal and output it into 6 channels of decoded digital audio.

Martyreasoner

This is a very confusing thread. Obviously the device is meant to be used with a PC, either for multi channel audio or for active XO. Looks to me like Topping made a great device here, kudos. I have no reason to swap out my Okto, but if I ever get a reason to in the future I'll probably spring for this instead, the price and size is attractive to me.

Your PC can do it, which is what you are supposed to use this device with. FFmpeg has had support for decoding DTS and its various extensions for many years now, and Dolby TrueHD is in the works. AFAIK, it is only Atmos that lacks software support.
Yes, I am aware. The original question and answer I was replying to referenced output.from tv .

Martyreasoner

Any reasonable video player software (e.g. VLC, MPC+LAV Audio, etc.) or tool (ffmpeg, etc.) will happily decode all known 5.1/7.1 formats including Dolby Digital (AC-3), Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3), TrueHD (MLP), DTS, DTS:X etc. to digital PCM. That's a very basic feature that's been available for many years. The only format that's missing is Atmos (AC-4) but I believe that's being worked on.
Sigh, original question and answer referenced output from tv

edechamps

Forum Donor
What I do not understand is combining this with stuff like miniDSP who will cancel the only benefit which is low SINAD.
Understandably the lack of some features dictates the need of some interacting with other gear,specially for safety or easy setup.

This device is designed to be used with a computer. If you have a computer you do not need a miniDSP. You can do all the DSP you want (and then some) on the computer itself purely in the digital domain.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate your snark, but the original question and answer was in reference to toslink from the tv. Dolby has locked down the ability to decode that digital signal and output it into 6 channels of decoded digital audio.
But the fact of the matter is they have not. How does unbranded, cheap devices decode DD then?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You linked a rather old device that just so happens to be a Dolby branded decoder. I think you proved my point. It's locked down.

Sure it’s a Dolby device but it has 6 channels of decoded digital output that you can then use with a multichannel DAC. What else do you want? Just for someone other than Dolby to make the device?

Michael

Sokel

Master Contributor
This device is designed to be used with a computer. If you have a computer you do not need a miniDSP. You can do all the DSP you want (and then some) on the computer itself purely in the digital domain.
Don't tell me,tell the people in this thread who suggest my mentioned configuration so they can use it for whatever needs.
We are saying the same thing.
(even if this thing is a no-go for me,no level of the protection required by my needs)

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as I understand the needs,someone who wants to do xover will benefit from the low SINAD (let's not consider safety and convenience just for now) and also from the fact that is external so problems associated with the PC onboard audio multichannel cards are somehow less,ok?

What I do not understand is combining this with stuff like miniDSP who will cancel the only benefit which is low SINAD.
Understandably the lack of some features dictates the need of some interacting with other gear,specially for safety or easy setup.

People seem to think that this thing will miraculously apply it's own SINAD ignoring the gear up/downstream.

It is what it is,not some magic gear.

All discussion regarding miniDSPs in this thread has been related to using the digital output miniDSPs, not the analog section. Every digital output miniDSP I’ve measured is 115+ SINAD. Here is the USB output of the 2x4HD, 125 dB SINAD.

A61B367D-06D6-430F-ABEE-FECC7EC96106.jpeg

Michael

Sokel

Master Contributor
All discussion regarding miniDSPs in this thread has been related to using the digital output miniDSPs, not the analog section. Every digital output miniDSP I’ve measured is 115+ SINAD. Here is the USB output of the 2x4HD, 125 dB SINAD.

View attachment 218751

Michael
You're one and you're right.
Even if your combination will come close with the lot more usable Okto,that's just a decision,someone may love Topping more (not me).
But I have read about a lot of other configurations or devices that will maybe cover some needs.

nagster

Almost all adapters are designed to be used at inputs, not outputs. The adapters you showed are for handling stereo. Neither is suitable for balanced mono.
I used those adapters because they were suitable for connecting the TRS output to the RCA input.
I don't care if the connector for the Telephone switchboard is used for the DAC. I choose rational means regardless of the origin and background of parts and tools.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use adapters like this from time to time.

Hello @nagster,

I agree with you; this type of TRS(stereo)-to-RCA(stereo) adaptor could be another nice and safe option for our current issue (TRS[balanced]-to-RCA[unbalanced]) in DM7, but I believe this is OK only for rather advanced/expert audiophile people who can well understand "what I am doing with this type of adaptor in DM7".

Even though I too have been awaring of this type of adaptor for DM7 from the very first day (July 12) of this thread, I have been all the way hesitating about sharing it here in this thread; the reason(s) for my hesitation will be described soon in this post.

Well, I actually have four of very rigid durable this type adaptor which is DAP AUDIO Stereo XGA-18;
https://www.highlite.com/en/xga18-xga18-jack-m-stereo-to-2x-rca-f.html
WS003923.JPG

As everybody easily guess and understand, and as I shared here, I usually use this adaptor for conversion of stereo headphone out to L&R RCA out. Many times, and again today, I did confirmed/validated the pin connections by using my handy electric/electronic tester.

Even though quite unusual application, in case if we would use this adaptor for TRS balanced out of DM7;

Case-A: we can get only the plus(+) signal of balanced line from white-RCA-L plug with minus(-) signal line floated (non-connected)
[Case-B: we can get only the minus(-) signal of the balanced line from red-RCA-R plug with plus(+) signal line floated (non-connected)]
as you suggested.
The Case-A, therefore, should be our favorable option for TRS(balanced)-to-RCA(unbalanced) conversion for DM7, losing 6dB gain though.

In this unusual application, we should never use white RCA plug and red RCA plug together/simultaneously! We should use only the White RCA plug, we definitely should not use the Red RCA plug!

I have been rather hesitating about sharing above info in this thread since this option should bring much confusions and misunderstandings for naive/beginner people in audio scene.

Please imagine; if such a naive/beginner person would connect two RCA cables simultaneously to the adaptor and feed both of the signals into L&R RCA input terminals of one stereo amplifier, what would happen? The L speaker plays only the plus(+) signal of the balance line, and the R speaker plays only the reversed minus(-) signal of the balance line, hence L & R in complete out of phase but sing the same channel/music! This should be an extraordinary big trouble for the naive beginners, and, much worse that they would be highly possible being unable to find and solve "what is wrong here".

Consequently, let me emphasize again; this option is OK only for rather advanced/expert audiophile people who can well understand "what I am doing with this type of adaptor(s) in DM7".

Attachments

• WS003923.JPG
    WS003923.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used those adapters because they were suitable for connecting the TRS output to the RCA input.
I don't care if the connector for the Telephone switchboard is used for the DAC. I choose rational means regardless of the origin and background of parts and tools.
You used the wrong adapter(s). This DAC uses TRS sockets. Telephone switchboards are different size and shape.

It helps to know what you are talking about...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Consequently, let me emphasize again; this option is OK only for rather advanced/expert audiophile people who can well understand "what I am doing with this type of adaptor(s) in DM7".
Not to mention that this is not the best way to connect unbalanced to balanced as you are connecting the shield of a balanced connector to the ground of a unbalanced connector, hence not benefiting from the balanced signal.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Yes, I am aware. The original question and answer I was replying to referenced output.from tv .
Possibly S/PDIF capturing devices can also capture Dolby Digital bitstreams, which would be decoded at the computer. This would need tinkering though, it's not automatic like an AVR.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to mention that this is not the best way to connect unbalanced to balanced as you are connecting the shield of a balanced connector to the ground of a unbalanced connector, hence not benefiting from the balanced signal.

We are just talking about "not the best" but "second best/better" contingency method(s) of TRS(balanced)-to-RCA(unbalanced) conversion for people would like to use "RCA unbalanced input only" amplifiers.

Again you would please read carefully this important educational post (#557 on that thread on DAC8PRO) written by Pavel of OKTO RESEARCH.

Last edited:
Top Bottom