• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dr. Floyd Toole research nowadays?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Open question. New findings, research that complements or rejects, disprove Dr. Floyd Toole theories, or some of them.

Distortion and speakers for example. From what I have seen, Dr. Floyd Toole did not talk much about that, or am I wrong? But distortion and speakers affect the sound, audibly affect that is.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Open question. New findings, research that complements or rejects, disprove Dr. Floyd Toole theories, or some of them.

Distortion and speakers for example. From what I have seen, Dr. Floyd Toole did not talk much about that, or am I wrong? But distortion and speakers affect the sound, audibly affect that is.
Hello,

When i Google Floyd Toole distortion, I find results.

Perhaps this pages have your answers.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Nothing has dispelled their research, though other approaches will always be apart of the equation.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Dr. Toole is retired. Harman research shifted to headphones for almost a decade. And now is focused on spatial audio. So not expecting much to come out about speakers.

I know the design team has strong focus on distortion reduction in speakers.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I have a question for you: have their been any new research on Newton’s theories since the 17th century?

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I have a question for you: have their been any new research on Newton’s theories since the 17th century?
Which is fundamentally changing, paradigm shift? Or complements? ...Albert Einstein. Which is my point with the thread. What has happened, what is new since Dr. Floyd Toole's research?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Who in fact questions? Or complements? ...Albert Einstein.
I've seen many articles doing this. It's a ongoing activity every day in science. His theories are proven, challenged and some are still awaiting indisputable proof that is being researched to this day and forward.
What has happened, what is new since Dr. Floyd Tooler research?
I'm not a psychoacoustics expert by any means although it seems he wrote the book (Literally) on the topic and maybe he opened so many proven ideas that reviewers/researchers are still questioning his ideas and have not approached challenging them yet. It has not been that long of a time in science timelines. Some science takes hundreds and even thousands of years to evolve.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
His work and brilliant book is yet to be a known reference among all audiophiles. ASR take it as a Bible but outside here few people know, as far as I know.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I've seen many articles doing this. It's a ongoing activity every day in science. His theories are proven, challenged and some are still awaiting indisputable proof that is being researched to this day and forward.

I'm not a psychoacoustics expert by any means although it seems he wrote the book (Literally) on the topic and maybe he opened so many proven ideas that reviewers/researchers are still questioning his ideas and have not approached challenging them yet. It has not been that long of a time in science timelines. Some science takes hundreds and even thousands of years to evolve.
Yes, but now I'm not talking about any Danny who does not understand but research at present.:)

I do not question Toole's research as such. I am not a researcher in the field. I'm just generally curious about the research situation these days.:)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is fundamentally changing, paradigm shift? Or complements? ...Albert Einstein. Which is my point with the thread. What has happened, what is new since Dr. Floyd Toole's research?
Newton’s theories are changing? Does the Apple started to fly up?

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I expect any ongoing research following Dr. Toole's will be more elaboration than refutation. This is what happens when scientific research is so well planned, executed, and reported.

So far, there have been no pivotal additions to speaker technology since Toole's latest edition report. That doesn't mean there never will be. Further, there have been few pivotal transformations in architecture and interior design since Toole, and much of his research involved practically realizable rooms. That doesn't mean there never will be.
So, to date, Toole's work seems settled research and foundational to ongoing audio reproduction efforts. That said, his reports are not some antiquated religious document that can never be altered or fine-tuned. Perhaps, someday, there will be a sort of quantum treatment to sound analysis. Or not. Quantum physics hasn't replaced classical physics, for example. Quantum just takes a closer look.

Toole's agency's studies of the preferences of human test subjects and the statistics of that are bedrock. They should be required reading and review for anyone who does subjective ratings involving test listening, yearly.

If a reviewer hasn't read and understood Toole, I would doubt their ability to accurately review a clock radio. -Just one man's view.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
es, but now I'm not talking about any Danny who does not understand but research at present.:)
That is the stuff that made me wonder about Danny. He has enough knowledge to work with crossovers. That means he has the principles of electric circuits under his thumb. Not fundamentals only principles. So going from that he has to know that what he offers is snake oil. The speaker cables, binding posts and other crossover stuff. Maybe he simply glossed over the principles and so he has a excuse but if he wants to walk the talk he has to take all knowledge and not cherry pick what suits his financial greed. For that I have lost empathy for him.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
That is the stuff that made me wonder about Danny. He has enough knowledge to work with crossovers. That means he has the principles of electric circuits under his thumb. Not fundamentals only principles. So going from that he has to know that what he offers is snake oil. The speaker cables, binding posts and other crossover stuff. Maybe he simply glossed over the principles and so he has a excuse but if he wants to walk the talk he has to take all knowledge and not cherry pick what suits his financial greed. For that I have lost empathy for him.
Is the answer to your thoughts so difficult?:)

k2karakoram2Slimlinemensslimleatherwalletmoneycliprfidbrownclosed_grande.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the answer to your thoughts so difficult?:)

View attachment 217164
I worked with a South African for awhile and he had a African saying that meant, "Into the jeans." All money was tucked into the jeans and not even claimed for taxes as the saying intended to communicate regarding the greedy of South Africa. He admitted to it and said it was the modus operandi because of the times that existed at the time.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I expect any ongoing research following Dr. Toole's will be more elaboration than refutation. This is what happens when scientific research is so well planned, executed, and reported.

So far, there have been no pivotal additions to speaker technology since Toole's latest edition report. That doesn't mean there never will be. Further, there have been few pivotal transformations in architecture and interior design since Toole, and much of his research involved practically realizable rooms. That doesn't mean there never will be.
So, to date, Toole's work seems settled research and foundational to ongoing audio reproduction efforts. That said, his reports are not some antiquated religious document that can never be altered or fine-tuned. Perhaps, someday, there will be a sort of quantum treatment to sound analysis. Or not. Quantum physics hasn't replaced classical physics, for example. Quantum just takes a closer look.

Toole's agency's studies of the preferences of human test subjects and the statistics of that are bedrock. They should be required reading and review for anyone who does subjective ratings involving test listening, yearly.

If a reviewer hasn't read and understood Toole, I would doubt their ability to accurately review a clock radio. -Just one man's view.
My five cent guess. It is not possible to finance this type of basic research at present time.:)

A bit OT:
With that said, a Technical consultant in acoustics and audio technology on another forum mentioned how much money those who develop mobiles, tablets plow into trying to produce better bass, more, deeper bass in their devices. Whether it is research is another question. He knows and those who hire know that it is physically impossible, based on the desired spec, but it does not deter them from continuing to try. He, the consultant, said it a little laconic. I understand him but hey you have to get a salary, get money for your consulting business.:D

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
In any case. These publish a lot of new research, new findings: :)

Stylish, professional publications can be found. I randomly took an example, browse this:

Much of what ASA addresses is too advanced for me. It is aimed at the professionals, but it is still possible to find very interesting stuff in their publications.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Toole dont clearly explain what music is . Its ordered frequencys in the time domain. This have a big impact on the understanding of placement of loudspeakers, the stereosystem, the listening position and the importance of correct mic placement when doing recordings.

Top Bottom