• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extron XPA 1002 Plus Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 102 60.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 44 25.9%

• Total voters

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some of these are 70 volt. Strange.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is a great discovery. The built-in power supply makes it a little too big to supplant my two Aiyima A07s -- a rare case in which an external PSU that can be tucked somewhere out of the way is actually an advantage -- but otherwise I'd be making an offer for both pieces in this eBay listing.

Extron XPA 1002

Toku

Major Contributor
Since this amplifier has a lineup of products with high impedance output of 70V / 100V, it is mainly used for paging "in-house broadcasting" in buildings, factories, schools, etc. This type of product is usually not suitable for audio applications, but the 4Ω / 8Ω models are also excellent for audio applications.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Interesting !
I see "new" price around 700€ in Belgium
Second hand around 100€ :)

I was just looking for an amplifier around 100w / 8 ohm...
Yeah brand new price isn't that much different from March Audio Hypex.

But used price is definitely bargain.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks @amirm for another great review and for confirming what I already knew. Extron is very well known equipment for me as it’s the equipment I only use to control all my AV devices at my main place of work. I have Extron video switchers, touch panels, IP, IR, relay and many other control devices all around campus and some of them are 20 years old and still working. Extron is not cheap but for sure is one of the most reliable control equipment I have ever used.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Hmm, well I don't think that Phoenix connectors are junk at all. Where did you get that idea?
A phoenix connection is likely better than a banana but of course both are better than required.
I do understand that you don't want to cut your wires but I could care less about doing that.
There are also adapters that can be purchased for little $.
Per the reviews here there is nothing to be gained by nice RCA cables.

Anyway not trying to talk you into this personally just laying out some info in case anyone is interested but is not familiar with these connector types, which are not junk.
If they make adapters then it would be easy to use.

For the audiophiles among us, how am I going to feed my 10ga Shunyata $12,000 speaker wire to that little green hole? LOL

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are building something like an Atmos set up and need amps for your overhead speakers, using 2 or 3 of these seems like it could be a good way to go.

tsanguine

Forum Donor
I work for a community college and we exclusively use Extron. The other players like AMX and Crestron wouldn't even talk to us because we didn't have a pocketbook that matched their preferred customer. We now have 200 classrooms using Extron equipment and I have tweakers in every vehicle I own and every room of my house. If you work with Extron you know what a tweaker is. Extron has always been a huge value compared to other players in the industry. Programing is also much easier compared to other companies.

There is nothing wrong with their connectors. They are very functional and very easy to use. They also have great customer service if you are purchasing new and they make literally thousands of products for just about every possible thing you could need for audio video integration.

Their training is also pretty cheap and if you ever go to Infocomm they put on one hell of a party in Anaheim.

tsanguine

Forum Donor
Thanks @amirm for another great review and for confirming what I already knew. Extron is very well known equipment for me as it’s the equipment I only use to control all my AV devices at my main place of work. I have Extron video switchers, touch panels, IP, IR, relay and many other control devices all around campus and some of them are 20 years old and still working. Extron is not cheap but for sure is one of the most reliable control equipment I have ever used.
They may not be cheap compared to consumer gear but they are considerably cheaper than AMX and Crestron. Plus you don't need a programing degree to configure them.

linear diver

It is great to see Extron measure so well!, But I'm not surprised. I used Extron for many years in pro audio, video, and a/v. We relied on Extron in many mission-critical situations. The stuff worked 24-7 year after year. Extron, AMX, Crestron, etc. are oriented toward installation, where Phoenix connectors are an excellent for a lot of reasons.

I use powered speakers these days, but I might get one of these for old-times-sake. :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Their training is also pretty cheap and if you ever go to Infocomm they put on one hell of a party in Anaheim.
I went to many staff parties put on by manufacturers and related companies. The best one was when my extended warranty sales team won the company wide Dominion Warranty extended warranty sales contest and between the 8 of us we racked up a $5500 dinner tab in ~1992. It was one heck of a dinner for sure. :D Om nom nom...

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
They may not be cheap compared to consumer gear but they are considerably cheaper than AMX and Crestron. Plus you don't need a programing degree to configure them.

Well, in fact, as an end consumer you can't program Extron equipment without an Extron Certified license, otherwise the software won't open. While the Extron Global Configurator Pro and GUI Designer are kinda "friendly" to use, you most definitely need some sort of certification or at least some knowledge of Extron programming to get things right.

Screenshot (2).png

uwotm8

Half my speakers are probably still run with Home Depoe lamp wire
I'm glad that my speakers do not. That's a personal choice right?;)

Also I was responding to a nice person who suggested me no to use "junk cables" and switch to "right ones" what fit those lamp wire-grade connectors (again absolutely fine for installation systems, I'd use these there)

Sorry (well honestly I'm not:p) for affecting some holy cows then

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
So funny how different people react to the I/O connectors. For me it’s a plus - phoenix are easy to wire, simple to attach/detach, and don’t degrade the signal. Most importantly I don’t need to buy RCAs or speakons (money saved).

I’ve opened one of these up (the older XPA 1002). Only Nichicon and Rubycon high temp long life caps, and a beautifully engineered PCB. There is a reason these things have the reputation they do for 24/7 applications.

Anyone remember those bullet plugs that excited audiophiles for a while? The concept was minimal metal in a plastic body RCA. They seemed to get great reviews. Pretty close to a phoenix connector if you think about it

Top Bottom