• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speaker review & measurements by Erin's Audio Corner

MrOtto

I got a demo of these, and I liked them very much.

Audio.com.pl measurements:
d2FjPTM2MHgxLjQ2NA==_src_64747-wharfedale-linton-heritage-lab1.jpg

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think you've been looking at the Dentons.
I seem to recall seeing measurements on the Denton 80 awhile back and they looked good IIRC. Be great to see Amir or Erin get a pair of Denton 85s in and see if the Lintons little brother does as well on the bench. I’ve heard the Lintons. They aren’t a small speaker on their stands. They sounded good but I was in a showroom, so too many factors to have my opinion matter on that point.

posvibes

very 'nice' sound but slightly 'foggy' with it I
That's a very good description as to how I feel about my Harbeth Compact 7-es2's, especially when I swap them in after listening to another speaker, but it doesn't take to long for my ears to adjust and that fogginess disappears.

JaccoW

These have been on my wishlist for a while now. They often get compared in online reviews to the KLH Model Five ($2500 with stands) versus $1800 with stands for the Lintons (though you can get the stands for free on the Wharfedale website right now). Though the Wharfedale's often show up in excellent second-hand condition for around €850 ($886) or less around here. Making these a screaming deal.

Apparently they pair nicely with the Audiolab 6000A amplifier.

Mario Sanchez

-Ports with protection mesh
At last! I always thought that ports were a prime suspect for insectal infestation of a speaker, I was wondering if some brands added grille/meshes to them...

Hydraglow

Anyone have measurements for the height on the center of midrange and tweeter while on the stands? I've been considering these but worry the tweeter would be a few inches below my ears at listening position.

fragzone

A little disappointing that with 8 inch woofers it's f3 is only a couple Hz beneath my 5 inch bookshelves.

dougi

I have owned these for 18 months and really like them. There is a bit of sample variation I think though. e.g. distortion in my right one is more than the left one, but the left one has less upper treble that than the right.

cavedriver

It's interesting about the drivers. The mid does appear to have a Scanspeak Discovery basket although I don't see where they sell that model with a CF cone. The woofer, however appears to be a Silver Flute if I'm seeing the frame correctly. Assuming Wharfedale gets both at or below the going prices despite any customization, that's about $120 per speaker in parts. No idea on the tweeter yet.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I asked her and she said, "NOT those stands", lol
I think those stand look like @ss myself.
I would never want them.

I am also I bit bummed they sound better with grills vs off. I like to see the drivers. Of course I'm likely not buying these but who knows...

Streamc

I seem to recall seeing measurements on the Denton 80 awhile back and they looked good IIRC. Be great to see Amir or Erin get a pair of Denton 85s in and see if the Lintons little brother does as well on the bench. I’ve heard the Lintons. They aren’t a small speaker on their stands. They sounded good but I was in a showroom, so too many factors to have my opinion matter on that point.
Do not think so. Linton on another level. Maybe I am wrong.

eddy555

the grills frame seems to absorb diffraction from those inside out chamfers...Would be way better if those were done the other way around

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the grills frame seems to absorb diffraction from those inside out chamfers...Would be way better if those were done the other way around
I agree, on the other hand its part of the old school look which many like.

Zvu

I went on a listening session when LS50 Meta appeared. I wanted to listen to it and next to it in the same salon were Blade II and Lintons.

I listened it in order of LS50 Meta, Linton, Blade II. Going from LS50 meta to Lintons, the differrence was huge. Kef does have incredible rendering of details but sounded quite anemic, or should i say anemic in regard to Lintons. Lintons were laid back sounding, softer than LS50 but much more enjoyable to listen. They actualy sound like much bigger loudspeaker. Given that they are in the same price range, i came out of that session with a smile. I think this would make a killer sounding system combined with Bluesound Powernode N330. Two component system for normal people who want their families to be able to use the music system also.

I am worried about the bass though. If you don't want to or can't equalize, the bass sounded overwhelming quite often. The room i listened it in was huge so i can only imagine how it would sound in my much smaller living room. EQ for bass or a sock in the port i guess :)

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
-Ports with protection mesh
At last! I always thought that ports were a prime suspect for insectal infestation of a speaker, I was wondering if some brands added grille/meshes to them...
Lizards, pet lizards had those as a teen , I had to tear apart a pair of speakers as one of my pet lizards had gone into the speaker. How did I know , I’ve literally turned my room upside down inside out :) and there was only one place left to look for it... and there it was a bit foggy as part of the stuffing sticked to it .

azzy_mazzy

In the UK, apparently they're not 'hip and trendy' enough looking (bloody Eye-Fi again) and don't sell hugely - our retro kick isn't as large as elsewhere in the world apparently
Good to know people in the UK have good taste.

Top Bottom